Rory And Eric Clapton

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Rory And Eric Clapton

Postby capo » 12 Jul 2015, 11:10

Along with the mythical Hendrix quote, "go ask Rory Gallagher", the second most ubiquitous quote I come across all the time is the Eric Clapton, Rory "got me back into the Blues". Can some one enlighten me what the source, if any, this comes from? How did Rory get Clapton back into the "Blues", whats the time frame here? I think I mentioned on a thread awhile back that while Rory always had nice things to say about Clapton as a player, I have never seen in print or heard in a interview Clapton mention Rory. Even when Rory passed and everybody had a quote about him, nothing from Clapton. Now, of course Rory needs no validation from Eric as to his greatness, its just one of those Rory 'quotes' ' thats accepted but comes out of thin air it seems to me. Hope some one can help with this? Peace.
capo

Re: Rory And Eric Clapton

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Jul 2015, 19:21

Yes, I've seen that quote here and there, but never a cite as to when or where or to whom it was said. It seems peculiar in a way, because the two of them are the same generation, crossed paths how many times? and even shared the same bill, but not the same stage, at the same time.I have seen and read interviews where Rory speaks of Clapton, but never have I seen anything other than that quote attributed to Eric Clapton. At some point Eric must have said something, somewhere about Rory- whether good or bad, something. Rory did win out over Eric in that poll that Rory wasn't even looking to win.

Wikiquotes-
The man who got me back into the blues.-
Eric Clapton, UK Guitarist 265: The Rory Gallagher Story, BBC Radio 2
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rory_Gallagher

Rory speaking of Eric @ 11:00
RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 14 Jul 2015, 08:33

Taste supported Cream at there farewell gig at Albert Hall in Nov 1968....and Taste toured USA With Blind Faith too..
photofinish

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Jul 2015, 13:18

I did ask this question before on the forum. Nobody answered. Could there be any possible footage of Taste playing with Cream at their farewell concert in 1968 at The Royal Albert Hall? I can't answer that question as I was not there! I did not exist on earth yet. Subrata.x :lol:
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 14 Jul 2015, 16:44

Suby, I recall reading a interview not long ago with Tony Palmer, who was the director for the Cream farewell, (and of course Irish Tour, among many great films) and he was specifically asked if he filmed any of Taste's performance, and unfortunately, he said no, he did not.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2015, 17:58

8-) We should all agree that if any of us ever meet Eric Clapton, we will ask him about that quote. :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Jul 2015, 18:51

Rory does talk about Clapton on p24 of the Dan Muise book. It is hilarious. :lol: :lol: I love your humour RG. :D Subrata.x Also Clapton's former wife Patti Boyd does mention Rory in her book. She saw Rory Gallagher Band play live. I read her whole autobiography and that of Eric Clapton's.
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 14 Jul 2015, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Jul 2015, 18:55

capo wrote:Suby, I recall reading a interview not long ago with Tony Palmer, who was the director for the Cream farewell, (and of course Irish Tour, among many great films) and he was specifically asked if he filmed any of Taste's performance, and unfortunately, he said no, he did not.

Hi Capo. It was after seeing this link http://www.angelfire.com/ca/oldtimers/RAH.html I thought maybe some footage maybe around. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2015, 19:08

I find that interesting, I never knew that Patty Boyd-Harrison had ever met or seen Rory. I'll have to look that up. :mrgreen: Thanks!
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Jul 2015, 13:50

Yes I enjoyed reading Patti Boyd's autobiography You Look Wonderful Tonight. I seem to like reading books on strong women and those from the 70s ( my mum's generation). Also in the 70s the women civil movement began. I still love watching Wonder Woman and Charlie's Angels. Anyway Patti Boyd was a top model in the UK in the 60s and yes she inspired songs like You Look Wonderful Tonight; Here Comes The Sun; Layla and Something by her husbands George Harrison and Eric Clapton. She was a muse for them and played the rock star wife by staying in the background and looking pretty. However I found her to be more then just that. In the autobiography she comes across as witty, intelligent, very knowledgeable, creative and well spoken lady. I love how she decribes 60s London and it sounds exciting and fresh for its time. She actually went through a similar self discovery process in her 40s after her split with Eric. A journey I made in my 30s. Today she is an award winning photographer and this year married her long term partner Rod Weston. Subrata.x My mum without a doubt is my main inspiration in life.
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM