Notes From San Francisco Revisted

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Notes From San Francisco Revisted

Postby capo » 10 Jul 2015, 18:22

I recently was giving "Notes From San Francisco" a re listen after quite a time away from it, and I came to the conclusion that thank god Rory threw it in the "bin". It is so over produced and sleek, and lacking, to coin a phrase "balls" , its no wonder Rory turned against it. A prime example is the classic "Overnight Bag". Producer Elliot Mazer here, double tracks Rory's vocal, and interlays Lou Martins tinny sounding piano, and gives it an overall sterile, clean sound that robs the song of its essence. Its not just that we are use to "Photo Finish"s version, its just so much better produced. And here I will offer my opinion that, contrary to popular belief, I think Rory was his own best producer, and did not need a 'name' producer to bring out the best in him or give him that breakthrough album he needed in the states. I think if "Notes" was released, it would not have given Rory the hit album he needed. Its not representative of Rory's sound and I see why he was unhappy with it. We would never have had the great, great "Photo Finish" and classics like "Shadow Play" and "Last Of The Independants", ect. I am happy "Notes" was released, because more Rory is always a great thing, and the "Live" cd was worth the price alone. But I don't think Rory made a mistake binning it. I for one am glad he took hold of his own sound and did it his way.
Last edited by capo on 10 Jul 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
capo

Re: Notes From San Francisco Revisted

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 10 Jul 2015, 19:29

I haven't listened to NFSF so I can't comment on the production, but Rory obviously felt strongly enough about it at the time not to proceed further. Perhaps it can now be seen why he made that decision, or rather Rory's foresight has now become hindsight to others.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Jul 2015, 21:03

My favorite Rory song is on that one:

So it is the one album I wouldn't part with. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Jul 2015, 12:33

capo wrote:We would never have had the great, great "Photo Finish" and classics like "Shadow Play" and "Last Of The Independants", ect. I am happy "Notes" was released, because more Rory is always a great thing, and the "Live" cd was worth the price alone. But I don't think Rory made a mistake binning it. I for one am glad he took hold of his own sound and did it his way.

I totally agree Capo with all you say. Yet thank the Gallagher family, for releasing NFSF to let us see why Rory did this seemingly drastic action at the time.

RORY RULES ;)

PS. Cynthia, the Gallaghers already took the beautiful WWW for the acoustic album WWW thankfully :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Jul 2015, 16:59

Jay Jay wrote:
RORY RULES ;)

PS. Cynthia, the Gallaghers already took the beautiful WWW for the acoustic album WWW thankfully :)

Well, if you're going to get technical- :lol: :lol:

Still, I'm glad to hear NFSF, I would have always been curious to hear it if it was still under wraps.
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Jul 2015, 15:13

NFSF is great to hear and l love it. However Rory made the right decision. I listen to Rory's music everyday with my hectic London life. I admit, I understand and feel Rory's musical style, sound and energy. Its distinct and so "Rory"and which his fans love and relate to. NFSF was produced for the American music market for its time and is just not completely "Rory". It does not have Rory's distinctive Rory music stamp on it. Its too spread out. I don't blame Elliot Mazer. He was just doing his job. Rory knew this, scrapped the album, re-did the whole album. He made the right decision, because Photofinsh does have the Rory stamp of music to a T. Its polished, tight and a real rock album. Daniel,his nephew,said in an interview what he learnt from his uncle:- every musician needs to have their own style, sound and belief in that sound and music. Its nothing to do with the fashion, fads and flavour of the day. As a writer they taught me about "the market trends" and in one writing group, the person running it wanted us to write like them! All artists should develop their own voice, style etc and believe in it. Be distinct and don't follow the herd. When the time comes, if it comes, you will be heard. That's my belief. You can't fake stuff that doesn't come from the heart or does not have integrity. People would be able to see that clearly and it won't make you happy. Subrata x Rory did his own thing his, own way and good for him!
SUBY1974

Postby Sid_Sidow » 28 Jul 2015, 01:01

For other comments about this subject - see the string I started a couple years ago.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1727
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby capo » 28 Jul 2015, 16:17

Well, after reading your original thread I feel a little chagrined! If I had known about it I would'nt have started a new one. You and the other posters back in 2011 covered it much better then I did, or could. Thanks Sid Sidow. Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Jul 2015, 17:47

Actually, my bad, I should have merged the posts. I will after I get settled. I just got home from work so I'm running behind yet again.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Sid_Sidow » 30 Jul 2015, 02:29

Actually I thought I would really get a lot of bad comments for thinking anything negative!!!

But I really like all the tracks on Photo-Finish MUCH better!!
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM