Rory Gallagher And Cork. Irish Examiner 12/06/2015

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Rory Gallagher And Cork. Irish Examiner 12/06/2015

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Jun 2015, 21:53

SUBY1974

Re: Rory Gallagher And Cork. Irish Examiner 12/06/2015

Postby Lee61 » 13 Jun 2015, 07:05

It sure is Suby. Don't you love how the irate fathers of girls attending 'The Cavern' were offered a lemonade and shown around the premises, just to assure them it was all innocent fun? So cool :)
Lee61

Postby capo » 13 Jun 2015, 09:16

Thanks for the heads up Suby. Two early photos of Rory and Donal I have never seen before.
capo

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Jun 2015, 20:29

Lee61 wrote:It sure is Suby. Don't you love how the irate fathers of girls attending 'The Cavern' were offered a lemonade and shown around the premises[blink][/blink], just to assure them it was all innocent fun? So cool :)

Yeah I read that. It made me laugh. My father came to the UK in 1962 at the age of 20. He lived through The Beatle era and yes lived the life :lol: He recalls it fondly his student years. Then he met my mother in 1972 and they had me. He thought I was going to be a boy. Subrata is a boy's name and I was named after an Indian cricketer. Those girls at The Cavern were lucky in their teens. In the early 90s I was not allowed to go to pubs, clubs or concerts. I was not allowed to go away to Uni and had to stay in London. In 1993 i was not allowed to travel abroad to do work as a student for Camp America. I was put in a Catholic girl school in the late eighties, because of discipline. Think my folks were terrified of "bad influences" on me. I never even drank. I was an eco warrior because my best friend Jenny at the time loved all that stuff and so did I. It was a time of Nirvana, raves ( I was not allowed to go to those either) and grunge rock. I still miss it. :D It was my generation X youth movement. Anyway after I started full time work I made up for those lost years :lol: Weirdly Susie had a similar upbringing. However today my dad can't understand why I avoid alcohol and why I am veggie. My folks needn't have worried at the time. It may sound boring but I was always sensible. I like the holistic tee total lifestyle. By the way my dad had Donal's hairstyle. I asked my father recently "Where did your hair go?" "Blew away in the wind" he replied. :lol: No those girls at The Cavern got more freedom then I ever did and it is lovely to read. All rather innocent back then. Subrata.x. Just as well. I spent so much of my time in libraries and books back then, I fell in love with books and writing - my escapism. :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby Lee61 » 14 Jun 2015, 07:42

I grew up in Melbourne Australia with lots of Greek girls for friends and they would tell the same story as you Suby. Very strict upbringing, no boyfriends, no travelling except back to Greece, certainly no pubs or drinking. For my 13th birthday I had a sleep over and none of them were allowed to come...it was sad! I think having a little club like The Cavern was awesome, just some young things listening to music, having a dance and socializing. What more could you want?
Lee61

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Jun 2015, 12:02

Rory was very lucky that he had his parent's support for his music calling. I feel that is essential and that his family allowed him to leave Cork in his late teens to pursue his dream. I am not resentful to my folks for the strictness. In some ways they did the best they could with what they had. They came to the UK as immigrants and setting up life here in the UK was not easy. They had to learn the culture and language. That in itself was a great achievement for my parents. They protected their kids. They taught us what they were taught. For a long time I was trying to do my best in complying with Western and Asian culture. Asian families are high achievers and I was an average student. I guess when I first heard the term Brit Asian, I finally felt I had an identity, as so many other Brit Asian kids. I took the best of both cultures and made it my own. My folks now acknowledged they had been too strict, but compared to other Asian parents they were more cosmopolitan. They did not force to marry young etc. Looking back I understand why I made friends who had more freedom then me or friends in a similar situation. Also my first love was not really right for me. He was an academic, which my parents approved of but it was not right. Anyway I now follow my own path and heart now. My writing group asked me to write about my experiences of living between two cultures. I think there are enough books out there on that subject. They think as a Brit Asian that's the only thing I can write. Actually I have my own genre to write in. Subrata x
SUBY1974

Postby Lee61 » 15 Jun 2015, 03:26

Parents do the best they can, it's difficult when they have to adjust to a different culture and way of life. And yes Rory was very lucky to have musical parents who were prepared to support him in his ambitions. I read Rory's mum had to send him cash in the mail to help him out in the Taste days when things were desperate financially. What a woman! But you know, I have done the same thing with all of my 3 sons...that's what Mums do!
Lee61

Postby SUBY1974 » 15 Jun 2015, 21:21

I did speak to Sheena Crowley, Mick Crowley's daughter at the new Crowley Music Centre. She said when Rory saw his beloved Strat in the first Crowley Store in 1963, Rory just knew the guitar was for him. Considering how expensive the guitar was at the time, his mum agreed to Rory having the guitar. Rory then paid it off from his wage packet as a professional musician. Sheena also said children do sometimes, do just know what they need and Rory knew The Strat was for him. There is no logical explanation. Some people just know. Having said that my parents have said now, I am good daughter and devoted sister to my brother. They support my dream in writing. In fact at the age of 16, my mother encouraged me to write a poetry book. Between 18 - 30 I did not acknowledge my creative side, because I thought it was irrelevant in the modern world. Thank God my cousin Anjan, a poet himself, put me straight. In Jan 2015 of this year I wept and told my cousin how writing helped me heal. I thanked him. I hope we fulfill our family legacy of becoming established authors.
I was also told by Jamie Flynn ( Rory's Fontana Show Band fellow musician) that Rory's mum doted on him. I thought that was so sweet. My mum is my best friend and mother. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM