A Rory Rock Pilgrimage-

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

A Rory Rock Pilgrimage-

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Feb 2015, 21:47

Word had gotten round where I work. I work in a relatively small office. I'm one of the oldest people there. It's an internet-based business, so there are mostly young folk, very techno savvy, very young, very sharp, creative, and very energetic. Most are into gaming, and sci fi, fantasy, and graphic novels, and of course modern rock music, quite evolved from the 50's 60's 70's of my younger days. But still very important to them.

Word had gotten round the office that I would be taking two weeks off work to go to Ireland. Why? My young co-workers asked me, did I have ancestral roots there? Always wanted to see Ireland? So I told them, I'm going to Ballyshannon, to the Rory Gallagher Festival.

They never heard of him, Rory was before their time. Kurt Colbain? Yeah, they know about him, Colbain and Courtney Love, Nirvana, the Grateful Dead ( the Dead practically lived here), Hendrix- all known up here in the Pacific Northwest, locals from this area, but not Rory.

Then I tell them, Rory was well known among musicians and the die hard rock and blues crowd in the late 60s, early 70's. Then I mention Rory won Melody Maker's International Top Musician of the Year award out from under Eric Clapton in 1971, and then they realize he must have been someone very special indeed.

After I answered the usual, "Who is that?" I got a surprising reaction. I'm going to see where Rory Gallagher was born, grew up, get a feel for the places, the people, the things that he saw and that shaped him and set him on his path, the path that started there and took him all over the world. An homage to remember someone that we crossed paths with in youth. I saw him on stage when I was 19, and the memories remained with me all these years. Going to see Rory's home.

Unlike my immediate family, those who are still alive anyway, my family thinks it a bit odd, downright eccentric even. But not my young co-workers. Their reaction?

"That is so cool! A real Rock 'N Roll Pilgrimage!"

I had never thought of it like that. I can go with that. Yes, a Rock 'n Roll Pilgrimage ;)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mariasherm/29-m ... .tpMqz0NBN

A Rock Pilgrimage, to where the Rock hospital is located. To Rory's hometown. Add that to the list, Buzzfeed!
RobertaSparrow

Re: A Rory Rock Pilgrimage-

Postby AnnaMaria » 21 Feb 2015, 23:28

That´s nice. If I was going to Ireland I would love to visit Cork too but I Think that the people(in my age) in my surrounding would Think I was a Little "different" if I told them I was going there just because of Rory. As I love travelling I guess I would go to Ireland for other reasons too like horses, Connemaras...(at least I could say so and they would go: Whoaaaaaaaa)

My boys wouldn´t Think I was too weird I hope. They know Music is a big part of my Life. They love Music too even if they doesn´t listen to Rory Music. However, there is a big difference between me and the boys. They don´t seem to have like "Idols". They have instead a lot of bands they listen too but they are not interested at all in who´s in the band, who wrote the songs, who plays what instrument, history of members/bands etc. This summer my youngest Went to a big festival here in Sweden. About 40000 visitors and a total chaos at the campingplace. He was away for five Days. He loved it and mentioned he saw Iron Maiden among alot of others. The only member of the band he know the name of is Eddie (?) and he said they probably were americans. "Ma, they were great but that´s long ago...last summer, now I ´m listening too----"

Ah, well...

I was watching Netflix tonight. A thriller located in Belfast. One of the cops; Gerry MacElroy. One of the victims: Gallagher. There were following parts so now I´m waiting for Louella, Roderick or Teddy to take Place.
AnnaMaria

Postby Annie Elliott » 23 Feb 2015, 15:30

What a difference in the generations, AnnaMaria! Wonder what our parents thought about our obsessions with our musical idols back in the day? Mine are gone now but if anyone is lucky enough to still have their folks it would be a fun question to ask.

Music is so accessible now, and anyone can post on YouTube right? I can't keep up with it! On the other hand, we had to wait patiently for new releases and subscribe to magazines and fanzines for all the juicy details. I remember riding my bike or walking to the store in my little town to pick up the latest little bit, then listening to my new treasure over and over again for hours. And then getting older when we had Day on the Green and such, the beginning of the big line-ups everything did change a bit. Of course I was older too and alcohol was an option. Funny how the details get a little hazier when that happens :oops:
Annie Elliott

Postby AnnaMaria » 23 Feb 2015, 19:22

Annie, I´m sorry to hear you don´t have your parents around you anylonger. Mine are 80 and 81 and not well. I know what they thought about my Music taste because my mother use to remind me. She got a shock in 1975 when I was crazy about Kiss and that "Alive" record. She said I would end up like a junkie. They were really worried. I was ten years then....I still have photos of me and friends with the make-up.
A couple of years later they were more relaxed when I got in to Queen. In fact she likes a lot of Queen song and I have left my old records with her since I don´t have a recordplayer anylonger. My big big teenage hero was the drummer Roger Taylor. My mothers big big teenage hero was the american (?) actor Robert Taylor. We used to have a laugh about it. :D
AnnaMaria

Postby SUBY1974 » 24 Feb 2015, 13:12

Hi Anna. Seeing Queen and Adam Lambert tonight at Wembley Arena. Can't wait to see Roger drum and Brian play guitar. Wahooh. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby AnnaMaria » 24 Feb 2015, 21:17

Suby, are you seeing Roger and Brian tonight? Wooaaaaahhhhhh! I hope you will have a really good Music experience. Make som screams for me too! :D
AnnaMaria

Postby Annie Elliott » 24 Feb 2015, 22:25

Anna Maria, can you imagine how bizarre that was for our parents' generation? It's so funny to think about now.

Suby, wow! Have a great time and full report please!
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Feb 2015, 00:44

Hi Annie and Anna. Wahooh what an amazing night. Queen forever! Wahooh. I will give a full report over the weekend. Got work tomorrow. There will be pics and videos. Thankyou rock gods and I am in rock heaven. This chick will be rocking into her 90s yeah! Goodnight. Subrata.x :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D It was a dream come true on many levels. Cronin and Sinnergirl you will love the pics. Hope you caught the show in your part of the woods. Not to be missed.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Feb 2015, 00:49

AnnaMaria wrote:Suby, are you seeing Roger and Brian tonight? Wooaaaaahhhhhh! I hope you will have a really good Music experience. Make som screams for me too! :D

Yes I also screamed for you too Anna and for pals Susie and Donna.x
SUBY1974

Postby AnnaMaria » 25 Feb 2015, 08:17

Suby, I am sure Roger Heard me...I mean you...Looking forward to your report :D

Annie, here in Sweden every girl loved Abba in mid 70´. And there was I having a completely different taste of Music. No wonder my parents thought I was crazy or something, though today they laugh about all our quarrels we had then. Like when I wanted to join Kiss Army. No way I could do that.

I remember in mid 80´before my grandmother died I saw her sitting in the sofa knitting as Always and the radio was playing beside her. Believe it or not but it was Iron Maiden which she ofcourse was not aware of. I said just as a joke: "Granny, are you listening to Iron Maiden!?" She looked at me smiling: "I listen to Everything as long as it isn´t too loud". I Think my grandmother was more modern than my mother.
AnnaMaria

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM