Where Is Rory's "Boswell"?

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Where Is Rory's "Boswell"?

Postby capo » 13 Feb 2015, 17:31

I've just finished reading an excellent biography about the great guitarist Roy Buchanan (who I will post about soon) by Phil Carson. It is a well written mix of both Buchanan's personal life and musical output, with emphasize on his pioneering and unique guitar techniques. And it made me ask myself again, when will Rory finally get his due, a quality, nah, GREAT biography worthy of his life and artistry! Now, I know we are all eagerly awaiting Donal's memoir, but it will be just that, a book, great as it will be, by a loving brother of his memories of Rory, not a critical, unbiased examination of Rory's life and times. What Rory needs, is worthy of, is a writer who, is part poet and musician, with a sensitivity to Rory's Irish background and how that shaped his unique view of both his guitar playing and songwriting, and how that contributed to his greatness and oneness. Roy Hollingworth, alas, had he lived would have been ideal. But Niall Stokes, who has written and spoken with a poets touch on Rory, I think would be wonderful. I'm sure there are others. The question is when will he or she arise and undertake this most worthy literary challenge? When it will come I don't know. and not just one, Rory should be written about from different perspectives. And here I will offer a prediction. I will not, most likely live to read it, but I feel strongly, that one day, after her literary career is underway, Suby may just write such a book on Rory. Until then, the clock keeps ticking. Peace.
capo

Re: Where Is Rory's "Boswell"?

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Feb 2015, 23:46

;) :)
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Feb 2015, 23:48

Roy Hollingworth would have been the best writer. But i look forward to Donal's biography on Rory. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 14 Feb 2015, 11:52

I also look forward to Donal's book.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Feb 2015, 12:55

Hi Annie. Capo is right. Only when I become an established author and if I become an established author. The genre I write for is a "a bit out of this world" and I am working a novel and poem at the moment. Also I am still learning alot about Rory's life and music. I am a relative newcomer. After I become an established author and if I become established we will then see. Who knows what the future holds eh? I must say i am flattered guys that you would think of me. :) Subrata.x I keep thinking of my pal Susie. In 2006 she discovered Rory's music and she went to see Sinnerboy in Dublin. She shook Barry's hand on stage. She had a feeling she would be playing guitar on stage and by 2008 she was in a girl punk band. She never felt she could be on stage and play. Now she is creating her own band and has moved into Events Management. She helped organise a Sinnerboy gig in Sept 2014. It was her first gig as well with the Black Charge. She was amazed at how fate works . But it is Rory guiding her. I am convinced he helped me and Susie meet. Certainly since Rory came into my life I have taken the guitar seriously. In 2010 I could not play a note and now I can. He is a great mentor and teacher. Truly is. X
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 14 Feb 2015, 13:19, edited 3 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Feb 2015, 13:12

In the meantime i am sure there is someone out there who can write this amazing book on Rory.x
SUBY1974

Postby Tibbierocks » 14 Feb 2015, 17:56

Not sure if the good all round Rory biography will ever happen. Did anyone really know Rory well enough to write it? Donal's will be interesting and give some light on the subject. I think we will have to read the man's interviews, listen to his lyrics and read all the biographies and come to our own conclusions.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Feb 2015, 21:02

I have said before, and once again, the best book on Rory would be from a writer who could sit down and interview Donal, Tom O'driscoll, and others who knew him, loved and respected him, and can give us an interesting informative and unbiased yet respectful portrait of the man and the artist within.

But yes, I look forward to reading Donal's book. I will be the first in line over here to get it. 8-) 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM