Rory Shy ????

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory Shy ????

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Dec 2014, 23:16

Our good friend Capo has got me to bring up this misconception about Rory, after his comments here on Rory competition topic..

Capo "Theres that quote I always hear that Clapton said, "Rory got me back into the Blues". But like the Hendrix quote, I have never seen the source for this or if its true. When they toured together during the '69 North American Tour, even riding on the same bus, Rory kept to himself. I recall Donal saying that Clapton asked him what was wrong with Rory? "Shyness I guess". Maybe someone can add to this?"

It's more of a myth that Rory was shy.. than the Hendrix quote is IMHO..

Hearing from Donal and Gerry McAvoy for examples throughout the years. In Interviews since Rory's passing. Saying for instance Gerry about Rory "what a strong minded character he was" He always let the other members in the band know who was the boss. Include Donal in there too as his manager ;)

I believe Rory and Jimi were very similar in their characters on and off stage. Both very extrovert onstage. Then if you look in interviews off stage. Very quietly calm & logically spoken too :)
Rory was possibly quieter also in his earlier days with Taste, under Kennedy management. Yet though quiet underneath I do believe. As most young good looking talented men are.. He was very "confident" and self assured in himself. Especially when playing to the likes of 500,000 folk at the Isle of Wight Festival and doing soooo many encores..

With all these amazing attributes ...Rory surely could not have been shy, could he? :lol:
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Shy ????

Postby Rosemarie » 05 Dec 2014, 00:21

Hi Jay Jay, I think 'reserved' is more apt.
Rosemarie

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Dec 2014, 00:53

Rosemarie wrote:Hi Jay Jay, I think 'reserved' is more apt.

Hi Rosemarie, great to hear from you again after a long absence of comment from here :)

Yes I agree... A reserved Rory is more apt... Rather than a shy Rory
Jay Jay

Postby Rosemarie » 05 Dec 2014, 13:31

Thanks Jay Jay. Going off topic, whilst I was channel hopping on TV this morning, hoping to catch some news, there was a programme called 'Fake Britain' on BBC 1 at around 9.15 with an interesting item about Fender Strats.
Rosemarie

Postby Johno123 » 06 Dec 2014, 01:21

A shy person can be perfectly 'normal' amongst people they are familiar/comfortable with i.e. Donal and Gerry. I'm particularly shy around everyone apart from my immediate family, so they see a different side of me to others. In interviews you see Rory rarely maintains eye contact with the interviewer and sometimes looks anxious.
I've also read that Donal said Rory was very shy, I guess he would know...
Johno123

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Dec 2014, 23:15

I was just watching, on YouTube, that video clip of Rory made for French TV? He's in the TV studio, playing his National Steel and singing Too Much Alcohol. He's so relaxed before the camera, supremely confident, whatever tension or stress he went through before the cameras started, it's gone as soon as he's on. That takes discipline, focus, determination. He doesn't just look unafraid,he is unafraid, he is confident. That is not a shy man.

I think he was able to successfully compartmentalize all the tremendous burdens he likely had on his mind. Never met him, wish I had, just to see that transition happen- the supremely confident artist, and somewhere between the final goodbyes and handshakes with the fans, and his walk off the stage, he becomes the quiet, reserved, private enigma.

I can understand why some might describe him as shy, but I think that is only because there really isn't a fitting word for it. I see interviews with him, hear his soft, quiet speaking voice, his quiet demeanor without a guitar, and what is the word? Not shy, someone that seems quiet, private, reserved? But more than that, actively taking it all in, not nervous or withdrawn. Even in his quiet, offstage, conversational moments, he fully engages whomever he is speaking with, he listens, takes it in. Not shy. No.

RobertaSparrow

Postby Johno123 » 07 Dec 2014, 01:51

Rory, himself, had said he never approached his idols when he saw them as he was to shy to say hello. There is no doubt Rory was extremely confident on stage. That is because, without being arrogant, he knew he was good at what he did. But take him away from music and he becomes his normal self, which is a shy person. Rory has said he is shy, Donal and Gerry have said he is shy. So I'm guessing Rory was shy. Anyway it doesn't really matter, he loved playing music and we love listening to it, that's all that matters.
Johno123

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM