Part 2, As a Matter of Curiosity-

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Part 2, As a Matter of Curiosity-

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Dec 2014, 21:37

I was on one of the Rory Facebook pages earlier, and without really intending to, I managed, in my artful, blind and fumbling way, to irritate and annoy a bunch of Rory fans. Wasn't trying to, didn't intend to, but I managed to stomp on someone's feelings without realizing it, with all the elegance of a bull in a china shop. But it got me thinking, I was chatting with another Rory friend, and I'm not the only one who noticed-

What is it about this Rory fan family, and I mean across all the different Rory sites, web pages, facebook pages, and other fan gatherings? We all seem to be in Rory's camp, but it seems to me we are all so fierce ?, passionate?, opinionated?, loyal?, entrenched? in our opinions that they make us take such emotional stands that flare ups and arguments ensue? It just seems so curious to me, that we're all sort of gathered around the cyber world, like we would if we were all gathered in a venue, waiting for our man to walk out on stage with that old Strat, to play his magic for us, waiting, waiting. But we all seem to lose that sense of camaraderie that we ought logically to have, and we start to fall out? Argue and fight amongst ourselves. I've had a couple quite frankly freakishly weird ones that still leave me shaking my head and wondering "what just happened?".

Rory's music, the energy and passion in his performances sort of brought us all together in such an unusual way, across so many miles, and so many years. And that energy? spirit? collective emotion? seems to continue to fuel such passionate reactions in us all?

It's a curiosity to me. What are your collective thoughts on this?
RobertaSparrow

Re: Part 2, As a Matter of Curiosity-

Postby AnnaMaria » 05 Dec 2014, 08:15

I Think unfortunately it is a Little bit what Life is today. People seems to be more angry and instead of thinking first they take Everything as a personal insult even if it´s not meant to be. It seems so important to "win". To defend even if they don´t even have to defend themselves. I was looking what people wrote when I played on of the videos on Youtube and it was terrible things. People start to argue wether Rory was a "junkie" or not. One person said he was totally against drugs, and we know he was, but was prescribed medicin. Another person said prescribed or not he abused drugs even if a doctor recommends it. End of discussion because you can´t have a discussion with only one person when the other one refuse to answer or at least try to understand the other poit of view.
Maybe the anger comes from the stress nowadays, I don´t know. And it is easy to write a lot of sxxx (or even start arguing just for the fun of it) when you don´t have to show on the net who you really are.

I also Think that fans want to "protect" Rory since he can´t speak for himself and also because he was the person he was. I mean can you imagine Rory being like Jimmy the Page? Sex with underaged, a bit arrogant, holding his fans with guards away from him, etc. No? No. Rory was a nice person and you want to keep him away from those who is not telling the truth.

At last I just want to say that I Think you really are the right person for this job. You keep answering our questions (and you are never arrogant or anything answering them) and you seems to be such a nice person.

Peace and love/Mia
AnnaMaria

Postby capo » 05 Dec 2014, 17:07

The internet allows some people to express the worst aspects of their humanity, to say things they would never have the guts (or good sense and manners) to say, face to face, with another person. The "Rory" community, is pretty mellow compared to other bands web forums, believe me, though Cynthia recently went through a pretty bad experience. There's a pattern, for instance, on Youtube, when you read the comments on a guitar player. Somebody will say, so and so, is the greatest of all time. :D In reply, another will say, no, so and so is the greatest :) To this, the first will say, no he "Sucks" :o To this the second will question the firsts sanity :x To this, the first then questions the seconds sexual orientation :shock: To this, the second promises to kill the first with a guitar neck through the head :twisted: It finally ends with both saying something like "Your mama" :mrgreen: Such is the blessings and curse of the age of the Internet. :roll:
capo

Postby Annie Elliott » 06 Dec 2014, 01:40

I've never been party to much discussion about other musicians so I can't say if discussion about Rory is the same or different from others?

Rory does seem to stir up the passion...like religion or politics and we all know how those discussions go.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Dec 2014, 14:49

I agree with AnnaMaria in that it is easy to hide behind the vague anonymity afforded by the internet. It is much easier to type and state these things knowing that there is no real consequence for whatever you say. It's something like the escalation of emotions that happens with road rage, although taken to its extremist form road rage can very easily change from someone feeling somewhat anonymous behind the wheel of a vehicle that can "run away" to becoming consequential with very definite repercussions when the aggressor actually hurts someone or does physical damage.

And there is that sense, among some of us anyway, of wanting to defend Rory- he is not here to defend himself, and some of the stuff that gets flung across the wires is frankly deplorable and insulting to his memory. And the excuse, "at least I knew (or met, or shook hands with, or exchanged words with) Rory" as justification for some of it just doesn't cut it.

And then there is that magical leap of logic from arguing one's point to attacking another person personally and individually. I have always tried to not do that, but I admit, once someone else shifts it from their opinion on a theoretical discussion about the artist Rory, to an irrelevant attack on the person with whom they are discussing, I have been known to take the gloves off and jump right in. My bad. But, hey, I never said I was without temper :mrgreen:

But a lively debate can be fun, and I can even vehemently disagree with someone, even enjoy the discussion and all its twists and turns, and still remain friends (ain't it so, RW mods) ;) .

Is that really so unusual? I didn't think so, but then, as Capo said, I went through a pretty extreme experience, very atypical of the community as a whole. And to this day, I still can't figure why my accuser said and did what she did, and where she got the notion that I was some sort of mutli-personality mastermind. Whatever the reasoning, she really has to hate me to try to drag innocent people into the vortex with us. But I digress.

Yes, Annie, Rory does seem to stir up the passion! Well, that was how he presented his music, with passion. So that is what he left to us, his fans. Is it any wonder, really?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Lee61 » 27 Jun 2015, 08:35

Having just read this I wonder too if some of the arguments on music forums, youtube, etc. happen because when we read the written word you can't gauge the tone of the person typing. For instance when people post something they have it in their head what they mean, but it may not come across that way when they type it. It may be read as rude without it meaning it to be...and when that happens, well we know how it can get out of hand really quickly. If we are speaking directly to someone we can see by their manner and tone of voice if they are calm, angry or whatever... and certainly some people just troll and cause mischief for the fun of it! (in their eyes it's great fun) And there are many keyboard warriors out there who wouldn't have the intellect or courage to say what they say on the internet in person. A lively debate can be entertaining but when things escalate to personal accusations, well none of us want to see that....
Lee61

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jun 2015, 09:05

Lee61 wrote:Having just read this I wonder too if some of the arguments on music forums, youtube, etc. happen because when we read the written word you can't gauge the tone of the person typing. For instance when people post something they have it in their head what they mean, but it may not come across that way when they type it. It may be read as rude without it meaning it to be...and when that happens, well we know how it can get out of hand really quickly. If we are speaking directly to someone we can see by their manner and tone of voice if they are calm, angry or whatever... and certainly some people just troll and cause mischief for the fun of it! (in their eyes it's great fun) And there are many keyboard warriors out there who wouldn't have the intellect or courage to say what they say on the internet in person. A lively debate can be entertaining but when things escalate to personal accusations, well none of us want to see that....

Quite true, in many respects the written way of communicating is so different, and a lot of the nuances in regular conversation are lost. Spontaneity being one of them. Those of us who write as a pastime or even those of us who are paid for what we write have a slight advantage, only because it is familiar territory, but even then, it is much easier to be misunderstood.

RobertaSparrow

Postby Lee61 » 27 Jun 2015, 09:27

It's one of the problems with our highly technological world...having said that where would we be without it?
We wouldn't be communicating at all Roberta, you being in the US and me in Australia.

:)
Lee61

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jun 2015, 13:55

Lee61 wrote:It's one of the problems with our highly technological world...having said that where would we be without it?
We wouldn't be communicating at all Roberta, you being in the US and me in Australia.

:)

Quite true, I've met and become friends with people from all over the world, as have most of us, in this modern age -a relative term, 2, 5, 10, 100 years from now who knows how much the technology will have advanced?

And all Rory's fans, scattered to the four corners, can now exchange ideas and memories. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM