Furthermore - The Hendrix Quote

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Re: Does Anyone Have Proof?

Postby Jay Jay » 25 May 2011, 11:59

innuendo wrote: how can that be if they only played 8 songs? that means they would play only 3 songs if there wasn't demand for them from the audience. or am i missing something?

Hi Kruno...
Where you heard Rory only did 8 songs at IOW. That was where Daniel in Q&A on main homepage news says, but they were the only songs filmed, or on the cd (Taste Live @ IOW). Some of those may well be the encores and maybe one or two more. Rory was probably only schdueled to play an hour set at the festival. But when you think, Catfish lasts for about 15 minutes alone?
I know someone who was there at the IOW 1970 festival. I'll ask him, when I see him at the Rory Fest next week, what was going on ;)
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 25 May 2011, 21:45

i thought they only played 8 songs, i knew 8 songs were filmed, i thought that was all they performed. if only 8 are filmed is there at least soundboard audio of complete show?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby JimLED » 27 May 2011, 22:03

I'm too interests about five encores due Catfish!
Jay Jay! We gonna wait answer of your friend hey! :)

jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby mike6262 » 02 Oct 2011, 03:02

I have heard the story of Hendrix replying " ask Rory Gallagher ". But I have heard several versions of the story with many many different guitarists, I heard he said it about Clapton and Clapton was his favorite guitarist. Not sure it was ever said at all about anyone.
mike6262

Postby innuendo » 02 Oct 2011, 19:56

i have to go back to previous page-it's still a mystery to me (and SEEMS TO ME to other fans as well) how many songs taste performed at IOW? maybe there's someone who can shed some light on this?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Sinner Girl » 02 Oct 2011, 23:21

innuendo wrote:i have to go back to previous page-it's still a mystery to me (and SEEMS TO ME to other fans as well) how many songs taste performed at IOW? maybe there's someone who can shed some light on this?

Be patient everyone, have a good feeling that we will one day or even next year to be released DVD. When at least hope, then, is the most surprise.

But IOW is mystery to me why other bands have this material publish only the Taste is big problem. It sometimes makes me angry :twisted: :twisted:
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby asdesas » 03 Oct 2011, 00:30

Sinner Girl wrote:
innuendo wrote: mystery to me why other bands have this material publish only the Taste is big problem. It sometimes makes me angry :twisted: :twisted:

This might have been mentioned before, but I imagine the situation is complicated because Taste covered some material by other artists and there would be an issue regarding rights; also who knows if the audio is owned by this entity and the video is owned by that entity or another; everyone would want a piece of the action and it could be the type of thing that might never get past the rights/royalties/negotiations stage. Fingers and toes crossed. When I see Taste perform What's Going On at IOW I will consider my life complete.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Dave McHugh » 05 Oct 2011, 15:25

Hi Folks!

(I'm reposting this from a previous thread on the matter. Am just back from a great tour of Holland, and a fan told me the same old story.. Hendrix said this. When I asked him where he heard it, he said that it was on a TV interview. When I asked him if he ever saw it, he said 'No, but everyone knows it'. Proof enought to me that the qoute is folklore)

I'm sorry if this sounds negative, it is certainly not meant to be. We all know that Rory doesn't need vindication from anyone.

Anyway, the plain fact of the matter is that the source of the Hendrix qoute has never been identified. Because it never existed. It is a part of folklore, and has taken the internet by storm.

As people who know me will know, I've paid tribute to Rory since 1993 or thereabouts (yes, I had the gall to have a band called Blueprint who played Rory tunes when the man was alive!)

But it is only in the past 2 years or so that I've heard this qoute repeated. Put simply, Rory, although he was always a legend to us, has become a bigger legend in death.

Finally, have a read of this. It contextualises how the legend came about. Of course, it will never explain how Rory was the greatest of them all, but we knew that anyway!

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp

Dave.
Dave McHugh

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Oct 2011, 15:54

Hey Dave,

Alright Jimi my other greatest musical hero with Rory..
Whom was just as unassuming and modest like Rory off stage, said that about Phil. As it's on tape on the Johnny Carson show in "1969" ..

That was before Jimi watched Rory in "1970 " at The Isle of Wight festival..
Where he could have quoted the same words again, when he saw the new kid playing all around town, for the first time ;)
Other quote from Jimi Hendrix on seeing Rory at the IOW ..

" The Irish Speed " :)
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jul 2012, 10:19

Here is a hint of more Fresh Evidence about Jimi Hendrix saying that quote .. to of all people Taste management

I read the Sam Bernett's book "Rock 'n roll circus" published in France last year. There are 2 chapters about Rory in it. Rory played two times there one with Taste and one at the beginning of his solo carreer. Sam said inside that he was a great friend with Eddie Kennedy who had at this time his habits at the "Rock'n roll circus" (famous french club in Paris between 1968-1971 )when he went in Paris.Eddie one night told to Sam that a journalist reported to him that Jimi's said that at the Isle of Wight and was very proud to told that to everybody.
Jay Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum