Donal's official Biography

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Donal's official Biography

Postby heatison » 24 Nov 2014, 23:31

There was a article in the Cork Evening Echo, where Donal states that he hopes (Time Permitting) to publish the official Rory Gallagher Biography at the end of next year.
He also says that they are working toward releasing the full performance of Taste Live at the Isle of Wight.
I for one can't wait for both of these events.
heatison

Re: Donal's official Biography

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Nov 2014, 03:58

:cry: I tried to find a link to the article, but I'm in a rush to get to work on time.

Someone post the article please please pretty please? :mrgreen: I'll look for it after work, but I can't right now. :( I just hate it when everyday life gets in the way of what I'd rather be doing. Oh well-

8-) RobertaSparrow
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 25 Nov 2014, 11:08

I couldn't find anything about the book or the concert. I hope it's all true!

I did find this about Crowley's reopening though, that's good news:
http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/16/ja ... ian-store/
Annie Elliott

Postby Tibbierocks » 25 Nov 2014, 12:23

heatison wrote:There was a article in the Cork Evening Echo, where Donal states that he hopes (Time Permitting) to publish the official Rory Gallagher Biography at the end of next year.
He also says that they are working toward releasing the full performance of Taste Live at the Isle of Wight.
I for one can't wait for both of these events.

This is all rather sexy. liking this. hmmm dvd! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Tibbierocks

Postby heatison » 25 Nov 2014, 13:37

If you go on Rory Gallagher video page facebook you can read the article
heatison

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Nov 2014, 18:53

GREAT ARTICLE by Marc McAvoy published in CORK EVENING ECHO’s Downtown supplement on Thursday 20th November 2014...
Here is the text (as it's unfortunately not available on Internet):

“REMEMBERING THE BLUES KING GALLAGHER”
Remarkably, it is almost twenty years since the passing of guitar legend Rory Gallagher. In the aftermath of his death, Gallagher’s fan-base continued to grow with the release of compilation albums and DVDs serving as a reminder of what an outstanding performer he had become. Annual tribute festivals were established at home and abroad, which offered fans a focal point to celebrate the life and music of the world renowned guitarist.

Today in Cork, the respect and affection that local people still have for Rory is palpable. With murals and other forms of street art adorning parts of the city centre, a new generation has discovered the blues-rock musician and celebrate him. Furthermore, a popular campaign to rename Cork Airport – “Cork Rory Gallagher Airport” is continuing, having received almost 11,000 signatures to an online petition.

In addition to his supreme musical talent, one of the reasons that Rory came to be held in such high esteem by so many was his willingness to tour the whole of Ireland at the height of the Northern Troubles in the 1970s. While Northern Ireland slid into anarchy, Gallagher was the only major musical performer to cross the border during this dangerous and volatile period. Music fans in the North have never forgotten this and Belfast celebrates his memory with a plaque on the Ulster Hall.

The release of the 40th anniversary, expanded, deluxe edition of Rory’s Irish Tour ’74, of which the vinyl edition is released next week, serves to document this period. Upon release, Irish Tour ’74 became one of Rory Gallagher’s most celebrated records and went on to sell more than 2,500,000 copies worldwide. Recorded over three live shows in Belfast, Dublin and Cork during what the accompanying 16-page booklet reminds readers was one of the most intensely violent periods of The Troubles; this record captured some of Rory’s most powerful live performances. The new expanded 40th anniversary edition of Irish Tour’74 succeeds in freezing a moment in time in both Irish history as well as Rory’s own personal and musical history.

Rory’s brother and former manager, Dónal Gallagher, explains how the new edition of this classic live record, which features unreleased recordings, came into being. “Essentially, it came down to Daniel, my second son. He works with me and is a guitar player. He was digitising all the audio tapes that we have. Daniel came across the full performances from Cork, Dublin and Belfast of the Irish Tour ’74 - all the tapes. In the process, he was just so knocked out by the performances and the differences and the amount of material. He encouraged me and said: ‘These performances are red hot!’”

Dónal adds: “I always felt Irish Tour ’74 was it! I think Rory always had a spark and an excitement in the live shows. In particular, during this point in time, the relevant danger that was there too. There was also the absence of other people playing music or visiting bands from other countries because Dublin was deemed just as unsafe as the North of Ireland. Therefore, economically, it wasn’t worthwhile for them to come over.”

Gallagher’s Irish tour opened at Belfast’s Ulster Hall on December 28, 1973. Dónal describes the reception that awaited Rory. “The kids were ecstatic. They probably hadn’t seen a visiting band or somebody who was making it on the world stage since the last time that Rory had been to Belfast. For them, it was like a member of the family coming home. Hidden in all the emotion, was the pride people had in the fact that Rory was out there level pegging on a worldwide stage musically. He was carrying everybody’s spirit with him.”

Two dates in Belfast were followed by a show at Dublin’s Carlton Cinema, where Thin Lizzy were the special guests on the bill. The tour concluded in Cork with two gigs at Cork City Hall. Dónal recalls: “The last days of the tour were in Cork. For some reason, there was a day open between the Cork shows. So there was an empty day. In setting up the mobile studio for the last show, Rory went in and used it like a recording session. That is where you get all the after-hours material.”

This new expanded edition of Irish Tour ’74 features 10 tracks recorded by Rory and his band during a lengthy afternoon jamming session at Cork City Hall. One song recorded during this session was Treat Her Right, which Dónal remembers “would have been a song that Rory would have played with Cork band The Impact. It was one of his favourite songs.” Another added bonus to the box-set release is the inclusion of the Tony Palmer directed documentary film Irish Tour ’74 on DVD. Featuring footage of Rory in old 1970s Cork, in the film Rory explains why he likes Cork. “If you want to meet someone, you know where to find them and if you don’t want to meet someone, you can more or less go where you won’t meet them, which is kind of nice.”

Dónal describes what Cork meant to Rory. “Emotionally, Cork was home. Rory was home – arriving back at Cork Airport. He should have had so many air-miles for going into and out of Cork Airport. I’d say he would have had somewhere between 20 and 50 trips a year in and out of Cork Airport. ”

Looking beyond this welcome addition to the Rory Gallagher music catalogue, Dónal is working towards the release of the full performance of the second incarnation of Gallagher’s blues-rock trio Taste – live at the Isle of Wight Festival - in 1970. Dónal is also in the process of writing the official Rory Gallagher biography, which has been a work in progress for more than ten years. If time permits, Dónal will look at publishing this in late 2015. No doubt Rory fans will be very much looking forward to it.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Nov 2014, 18:59

Well, there is this one, run by Bibi of the Name Cork Airport petition:

https://www.facebook.com/RoryGallagherVideoPage

Rory Gallagher Videos, run by I don't know who:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/153190518152295/

Rory Videos & Rock 'N Roll, again, don't know who:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118424121638308/

And I didn't find the link among those. I hate to sound inept, could you be more specific?
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Nov 2014, 19:06

Thanks Suby, I tried, couldn't find it- :oops:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 25 Nov 2014, 21:18

I'm so excited to hear about this. Thanks very much, Suby and heatison, for the article. I've always thought it utter necessity for Donal to write the definitive bio for Rory - who else could?
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Stevo » 25 Nov 2014, 23:44

Thanks Suby for the article, and thanks heatison for the heads up.
I was waiting for Donals New Year message to see what to expect next, but now we've got an idea of what's in the pipeline.
Can't wait.
Stevo

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM