Rory Could Change a String Mid-Song?

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory Could Change a String Mid-Song?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Nov 2014, 16:17

I have heard, and seems like there was a clip of it somewhere, that Rory could and had, broken strings mid-song and changed them without missing a beat. I've seen him deal with a broken string mid-song by either ripping it out of the way or wrapping it away from the rest so as to not interrupt his streak.

Anyone have any video clips of him changing out a bad string mid song without stopping? Or saw, firsthand, him do that?
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory Could Change a String Mid-Song?

Postby capo » 23 Nov 2014, 17:26

Don't know. I recall people swearing they witnessed it. It may be one of those great Rory myths, unproven. But why would he need to, he's played on with broken strings plenty of times. And what would he be doing during it, hammering some notes or strumming a open string? Don't know. :?:
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Nov 2014, 17:35

RobertaSparrow wrote:I have heard, and seems like there was a clip of it somewhere, that Rory could and had, broken strings mid-song and changed them without missing a beat.

We had this topic and question asked on the old official "Meeting Place" RORY forum where a few answered reporting witnessing this..

It is not a myth... IT IS ACTUAL FACT..
Many fans and now accomplished musicians themselves have witnessed Rory do this.. At the Rory Gallagher gigs / concerts they attended years ago :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Nov 2014, 17:44

Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:I have heard, and seems like there was a clip of it somewhere, that Rory could and had, broken strings mid-song and changed them without missing a beat.

We had this topic and question asked on the old official "Meeting Place" RORY forum where a few answered reporting witnessing this..

It is not a myth... IT IS ACTUAL FACT..
Many fans and now accomplished musicians themselves have witnessed Rory do this.. At the Rory Gallagher gigs / concerts they attended years ago :)

:lol: Hi Jay Jay, I'm no doubting Thomas 8-) I believe he could and would, but you have to admit, it is the stuff of legends. As Capo said, why would he need to, we've all seen him play blistering solos with one or two broken strings better than most can with all of them on.

It is one that I absolutely believe he did. I never saw him do it, but I have no doubt he could and did. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 24 Nov 2014, 11:47

I'm sure I remember Johnny Marr saying he witnessed Rory doing this during a song.
Tibbierocks

Postby heatison » 24 Nov 2014, 20:39

Yes Tibbierocks he mentions it on Ghost Blues
heatison

Postby Koop » 27 Nov 2014, 12:36

Rory could in fact do this. My dad actually saw him do it at a show in DC. He was even lucky enough to get the slip that the single string came in. Had Rory sign it after the show!
Koop

Postby JimLED » 27 Nov 2014, 23:20

One special moment! If he played that night on guitar with an open tuning, something like Bullfrog blues, in this case he could easily did this trick.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2014, 12:10

JimLED wrote:One special moment! If he played that night on guitar with an open tuning, something like Bullfrog blues, in this case he could easily did this trick.

You mean like this Jim..
Rory does break a string here if you look closely near the end of Bullfrog. So no point trying to change here ;)

PS. Nowadays it's not so easy to break a string as most guitarist use these graphite strings I believe?
Jay Jay

Postby roryfan » 29 Nov 2014, 03:23

I don't have the video clip, but there are several fan accounts of seeing it happen at shows
http://www.roryon.com/antics.html
john g
roryfan

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM