RORY'S ~ Jekyll & Hyde Transformation

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

RORY'S ~ Jekyll & Hyde Transformation

Postby Jay Jay » 03 Nov 2014, 12:17

I've always been amazed with the contrast to Rory, when he was onstage, to when he was offstage??
Here is his own take on this..

A little Doctor Jekyll a little Mr. Hyde -- Shadow Play
"I don't recognize myself up there sometimes or I don't recognize myself when I come offstage. I don't know, I could go from being John Smith, to being John Smith with the lights on. I'm not aware of this Jekyll and Hyde change but if I was as crazy offstage as was onstage, people would lock me up, or they wouldn't talk to me. It's the sound of the people, the enjoyment of playing, the release of playing that gets me up. I know when I hit the stage I want to kick it out and cause a little rumpus. If you're out front, I think you must get down there, tooth and nail." -- Rory Gallagher

# Thoughts run wild, free as a child into the night # ;)

Jay Jay

Re: RORY'S ~ Jekyll & Hyde Transformation

Postby AnnaMaria » 03 Nov 2014, 22:10

I was thinking of Rory when he was Writing his songs. I read in a couple of interviews that he wrote when he was down. I Think I read that Donal said Rory used to lock himself in a room with a couple of bottles and came out some Days later with a bunch of songs. I Think he suffered more or less from depression during his Life as a grown up. Maybe he used that feeling when he wrote. I mean there are a lot of sad songs and the happy-go-lucky ones are easy to Count. Maybe he most of all wanted to express his sad feelings because it was the blues and that was the Life he wanted to live, off stage. He wasn´t an extrovert party animal(hanging in a bar doesn´t Count), he wasn´t interested in women or having a familylife( afraid of commitment?), he closed himself to other people and that made him a lonely person.
Then again he was totally different on stage but maybe he couldn´t get that fire without his audience and without having the rather sad or quiet Life off stage.
If he was on fire both on and off stage I guess he would have burned down much earlier than he really did.
Well, I was just thinking about that.
AnnaMaria

Postby Jay Jay » 04 Nov 2014, 17:45

AnnaMaria wrote:I Think he suffered more or less from depression during his Life as a grown up

Sorry Anna...
I don't see this depressed and sad situation in Rory's life at all. Until maybe he was approaching 40..
You look back and you'll see at least a half smile on most photo's of Rory previously to this..

Smiley Rory.jpg

It was only when his gigging got less and less due to his poor health I believe, that he became so depressed and maybe unhappy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Nov 2014, 18:47

His earlier songs were decidedly happier in subject matter, but even the earliest ones, there was a hint of sadness there, but then again, doesn't that sum up what the blues essentially is? He always livened up on stage though, he did what he loved doing, even when, in later years, his health declined. I've heard it said that he shouldn't have been performing toward the end when his health was in decline, but he loved it so much, he lived for that, for the cheers and the encouragement of the crowd. It would be like trying to reign in a horse that wants to run.
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 04 Nov 2014, 22:11

Yes, I might be terrible wrong. I definitely didn´t know Rory. I just got this feeling getting through all information. Especially since I read a couple of interviews with Donal on RoryOn and then a lot of tings just made me Think this way.

First about his songwriting: "But at the same time, he knew that if you read through his lyrics he’s wearing his heart on his sleeve[/size]. To me, it’s very obvious. Perhaps I know a bit better – I can sort of identify all the songs having huge significance, or what he’s actually getting at." (Fuse229)

And then about depressions: "SC: To switch subjects, you were with Rory throughout his career and especially on the road you saw him on a day-to-day basis. At what point did you realize that something was amiss with him?
DG: Since I knew him as a child. He was very different from the norm right from his early formative years. He seemed to have more wisdom than my pals or his pals. Rory seemed to have a destiny about him. Rory seemed to harbor a terrible depression hidden inside him. I first became concerned was during the split up of Taste - as far back as then, when he returned from the UK to Cork. He went in to retreat. It took a while to get him out of a shell to which he seemed to get himself in. He was somebody who could hide his feelings. Even with alcohol, the rest of us would get super silly and do stupid things, Rory would be still very together. He wasn't overtly falling over. And illness-wise, I suppose in the (19)80s. Even with so many days on the road, we would take some long gaps like six months. Rory would go back to Ireland and write. The difficulty with that was that Rory off the road was a totally different person because he would become very insular. He would become very depressed. Yeah, it was great to take a break (from touring), but he wasn't a person I felt who was doing anything constructive on his time off. He wouldn't go off on holiday. He didn't have a hobby he would pursue or other interests. Then we realized that this was the wrong thing to do with his languishing till we got back on the road. He didn't have a set of friends to hook up with. His friends were musicians on the road. It was a gypsy lifestyle." (Donalshiv352)

I just copied What Donal said and I Think he is telling te truth. I F it´s not fake interviws. You never know about journalists. I put the name/number of the interviews and I don´t know about sources etc.

Jay Jay and Roberta, maybe you know if these interviews are ok and not fake?

I just Think it´s not so strange he wanted to be on stage all the time because he was so happy then.

Peace and Love Everybody/Mia
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Nov 2014, 15:22

AnnaMaria wrote:Yes, I might be terrible wrong. I definitely didn´t know Rory. I just got this feeling getting through all information. Especially since I read a couple of interviews with Donal on RoryOn and then a lot of tings just made me Think this way.

First about his songwriting: "But at the same time, he knew that if you read through his lyrics he’s wearing his heart on his sleeve[/size]. To me, it’s very obvious. Perhaps I know a bit better – I can sort of identify all the songs having huge significance, or what he’s actually getting at." (Fuse229)

And then about depressions: "SC: To switch subjects, you were with Rory throughout his career and especially on the road you saw him on a day-to-day basis. At what point did you realize that something was amiss with him?
DG: Since I knew him as a child. He was very different from the norm right from his early formative years. He seemed to have more wisdom than my pals or his pals. Rory seemed to have a destiny about him. Rory seemed to harbor a terrible depression hidden inside him. I first became concerned was during the split up of Taste - as far back as then, when he returned from the UK to Cork. He went in to retreat. It took a while to get him out of a shell to which he seemed to get himself in. He was somebody who could hide his feelings. Even with alcohol, the rest of us would get super silly and do stupid things, Rory would be still very together. He wasn't overtly falling over. And illness-wise, I suppose in the (19)80s. Even with so many days on the road, we would take some long gaps like six months. Rory would go back to Ireland and write. The difficulty with that was that Rory off the road was a totally different person because he would become very insular. He would become very depressed. Yeah, it was great to take a break (from touring), but he wasn't a person I felt who was doing anything constructive on his time off. He wouldn't go off on holiday. He didn't have a hobby he would pursue or other interests. Then we realized that this was the wrong thing to do with his languishing till we got back on the road. He didn't have a set of friends to hook up with. His friends were musicians on the road. It was a gypsy lifestyle." (Donalshiv352)

I just copied What Donal said and I Think he is telling te truth. I F it´s not fake interviws. You never know about journalists. I put the name/number of the interviews and I don´t know about sources etc.

Jay Jay and Roberta, maybe you know if these interviews are ok and not fake?

I just Think it´s not so strange he wanted to be on stage all the time because he was so happy then.

Peace and Love Everybody/Mia

Hi Mia,

No, you're not terribly wrong. IMHO. :)

I never meet Rory or spoke with him. I saw him play way back in the 70's, and they are memories in some respect as vivid as though they happened yesterday.

Unlike so many others who post here and did have an opportunity to meet him, I never had that opportunity. But I have read the same interviews as you. And I have seen and heard interviews with Donal where he does speak of those aspects of his brother's personality. Just taking into account Rory's lyrics, his poetry really, he betrays a depth of emotion beyond a mere rhyming exercise, and even from his earliest lyrics, there is a melancholy there. And I agree with that statement of Donal's, Rory's destiny was to be a wandering artist. He was determined to be a success at his art, perhaps he felt he couldn't pause to find someone to walk the path with him. Or maybe he just waited too long. But I think you are correct, he was happiest immersed in his music, and sharing with his audience.

That theme, the recurring theme of the wandering artist, one who does not let his pain show, it is a theme that runs through much of his lyrics. You can hear traces of it even from the earliest recordings with Taste, but as the years wore on, and the stresses and strains of the traveling musician's life started to wear on him, it became more pronounced. When he was on stage though, I think he was able to set it all aside, and immerse himself in the music again, as he did in his youngest days, until his health gradually declined, and finally gave out.

I Don't Know Where I'm Going

. . . I'm walking down that long road
With a smile up on my face
I'm broken hearted
But you won't see a trace

Feeling disconnected
These blues are out to kill
Sweep them in the corner
Put 'em in the bin

Gravel in my pockets
From the places I have been
The soles of my shoes are paper thin

Calling Card:

. . . Watch out brother, be alert
Whatever you do, don't show that hurt, don't show that hurt
It ain't so funny when you'd rather die
Ain't no pleasure when that girl don't reply
To your love-sick letter that you wrote in tears
About feeling so bad for a million years

I've been so subjected, I've been so distressed
Come back baby, to clean up this mess, clean up this mess . . .

At The Bottom

Gaze at the sky with tears in my eyes
I feel so lonely
Time flies by I try to smile
But it's not easy

Takes a fool to know how I feel
Feel like a fish running out of spinning reel
Bite on a hook and you know just what I mean
That's what it's like at the bottom

Overnight Bag:

. . . My heart is heavy, as a sky full of rain,
Mind full of notions, that I just can't explain.
The reasons why, just can't be supplied.

Trapped by a heartache, and freed by my will,
Sentenced to wander, so much time to kill,
Hear my plea, and rescue me. . .
[Emphasis added]

Etched In Blue

Here I am, where are you, Tell me please what to do
Here I am, broken in two, All my days are etched in blue.
I'd go anywhere If I thought you'd be there
I've made up my mind, that's where I belong

I've traveled the world, 'cause I couldn't be told
Told by my heart that you really had gone.

[Emphasis added]

It's like another wandering musician wrote in his lyrics:

I found myself singin'
Like a long-lost friend
The same thing that makes you live
Can kill you in the end

Neil Young - From Hank To Hendrix
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Nov 2014, 14:23

I was just reading this little article about Bono and it made me think of Rory too: http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/ent ... 6081.html#

Bono talks about how his wife Ali was the one who showed him what home means, otherwise I guess he figures he would have been a wanderer all his life. Of course that's no guarantee of a happy marriage (Neil Young, how could you?!) still it provided a kind of stability and at least some happiness for Bono and Neil.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Tibbierocks » 12 Nov 2014, 09:33

That's interesting to know about the diaries. I think Rory's could make some dark reading at times.... Yes, I'm sure we'd get answers there, but these could cast Rory in a new light...a light that the family might not want... I'm thinking the drink, the prescription drugs and just who are those ladies Rory wrote about in song?
Tibbierocks

Postby AnnaMaria » 12 Nov 2014, 19:39

I know what you mean Roberta and have been Reading those lyrics too. It is m a n y songs about unhappy love. She´s leaving, breaking up, cheating, spying, wasting his Money, treat him bad, telling lies and they dont even answer his loveletters. I do have a theory about the woman but this time I´ll better keep my mouth shut.

Maybe Rory thought he already was telling people enough about himself through the lyrics and thats why he didnt want to speak about his private Life and feelings in interviews.
In my opinion I Think Donal is very open when it comes to talk about Rory. It´s a Little bit surprising but I guess it is also a good way to get into Rorys Music. Real fans Always want to know more about their favourites. Don´t they? 8-)

I´ll be off to Dubai tomorrow. I wonder if Mr Cork is there. There is a huge Virgin store in my favourite galleria, maybe he is there. :D

Take Care/Mia
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Nov 2014, 20:54

Tibbierocks wrote:That's interesting to know about the diaries. I think Rory's could make some dark reading at times.... Yes, I'm sure we'd get answers there, but these could cast Rory in a new light...a light that the family might not want... I'm thinking the drink, the prescription drugs and just who are those ladies Rory wrote about in song?

I would certainly find such a diary interesting, but then again, I would hate to read something that Rory wrote for whatever reason, to unburden his mind, or as some other sort of catharsis that he did not want public to be released. If such a diary exists, I would trust Donal to go through it and redact whatever information Rory would not wish to have made public. After all, if I buy the farm tomorrow, I wouldn't want such a private journal released, and I am an uninteresting nobody. Rory guarded his privacy, and my respect for him outweighs my naturally nosy nature. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM