Michael Schenker picks Top 10 essential guitar albums

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Michael Schenker picks Top 10 essential guitar albums

Postby Tokeiihto » 21 Oct 2014, 11:36

... and Rory's 'On the Boards' from his Taste days is on the illustrious list of selected albums. While the article was published almost two years ago I haven't seen it mentioned here, so ...

Michael Schenker wrote:"This band had Rory Gallagher in it, and I think he was a brilliant guitarist. He played tough and hard. There was almost an arrogance there in the way he attacked the guitar. He was quite good. What’s Going On is a song I particularly love. Rory's style was very different from what I do, and of course, he played a Stratocaster, and I don’t. His tone was thin, but it had a lot of bite and character."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... s-568348/9
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Re: Michael Schenker picks Top 10 essential guitar albums

Postby blues blooded » 06 Jan 2015, 20:38

Schenker is one of my favourite guitarists.
blues blooded

Postby Sid_Sidow » 10 Jan 2015, 05:28

Fully agree!!!
Schenker is only second only to Rory in my book.

I saw him in Dublin when I did MY "Irish Tour 2013"
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby Tokeiihto » 10 Jan 2015, 18:15

Yupp. Schenker's inredible melodic, downright lyrical playing (both electric and acoustic) is simply unmatched in rock music. And, not unsimilar to Rory, he remains relatively unknown to the general public despite being quite an influential figure in the guitar world.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby Sid_Sidow » 11 Jan 2015, 02:43

Happy Birthday to Michael!!! (still Jan 10th in US)

As I said, say him in Dublin two years ago, saw him in Chicago area last January, now I see he will be in Chicago area again in April.
Might have to go see him again before going to Ballyshannon in May for Rory festival!!

Incredible player!! Clean and precise....
A touring BEAST!!!!
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Postby Sid_Sidow » 11 Jan 2015, 03:58

BTW -
Rory and Schenker both had at one time Ted McKenna playing drums for them.........
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Postby Tokeiihto » 11 Jan 2015, 22:10

Sid_Sidow wrote:BTW -
Rory and Schenker both had at one time Ted McKenna playing drums for them.........

Poor Ted. While McKenna is a fine drummer, he had the unfortunate task of replacing a more accomplished musician not once, but twice. I think both Rod De'Ath (Rory) and Cozy Powell (MSG) were better suited to their respective bands' musical styles than McKenna, whose playing was always solid and reliable but lacked that special something that the other two guys were able to add to the music. If you listen to Rory songs from the Rod/Lou-era - say "Walk On Hot Coals", "Tattoo'd Lady", everything that relied more on rhythm and groove than on a strong beat - it becomes glaringly obvious how great of a contribution De'ath's drumming really was to Rory's music. With MSG the difference wasn't quite so pronounced; however, the departure of Powell was definitely felt and couldn't be fully compensated by McKenna.
Tokeiihto

Postby Sid_Sidow » 14 May 2015, 02:29

Quite interesting - - on the US cable show "That Metal Show" Michael Schenker was on talking of his past influences.
Said that when he was young he traveled to MANY festivals to listen to as many guitarists as he could.

He mentioned many, but he made sure to mention Rory Gallagher!!
The same host of the TV show did a satellite radio show the night before and I think he mentioned Rory three times!!

A bit different style - but it's cool to hear him speak highly of Rory!!!!!!!!!!
Love them both!
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Postby Jay Jay » 14 May 2015, 10:00

Sid_Sidow wrote:Quite interesting - - on the US cable show "That Metal Show" Michael Schenker was on talking of his past influences.
Said that when he was young he traveled to MANY festivals to listen to as many guitarists as he could.

He mentioned many, but he made sure to mention Rory Gallagher!!
The same host of the TV show did a satellite radio show the night before and I think he mentioned Rory three times!!

A bit different style - but it's cool to hear him speak highly of Rory!!!!!!!!!!
Love them both!

Nice to hear, thanks Sid :)
Jay Jay

Postby Sid_Sidow » 04 Jul 2015, 01:16

For Father's Day, my daughter bought me the Michael Schenker - Spirit on a Mission deluxe edition.
Cool music - and there is a second disk, a DVD with several things. One was an interview at the Paris Hard Rock.

Again the question comes up about his influences, and again he lists Rory as one of the world's great guitarists!!
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM