Rory Gallagher Changed Lyrics

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory Gallagher Changed Lyrics

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Mar 2010, 17:07

Rory was a great one when live for improvisation and changing the lyrics not just in his own songs but others also.
Post here ones you've heard Rory change and sing...

Great line from Messin' With The Kid song for example from another live recording ...

" I take my guitar and travel all around town "

As to from album "Live In Europe"

" I take my car and drive all around town "

Rock on for Rory ;)
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Gallagher Changed Lyrics

Postby Simone67 » 16 Mar 2010, 19:41

..yeah,nice one! :) ..I´m not too sure as to what song exactly this is from,but I´ve heard Rory sing "My little girl put me in the mess I´m in"...and in another version another time he sang "..My little girl put me in the sh.., :P I´m in ..".. :shock: :lol:

I felt a bit shocked,but in an amused sort of way when I first heard this, because as far as I know, Rory did not swear.

Oh,I´m sure we can come up with some more ? Nice one, Jay !!
Simone67

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Mar 2010, 22:02

Looks like it could be "Too Much Alcohol" that one there Simone?

Sticking a while with the Junoir Wells song which I began with. In later years Rory changed again the Live in Europe lyrics from...

" Lordy what you doing " to " Mama what you did "which of course rhymes better with " Messin' With The Kid " :D

Rock on for Rory.
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Mar 2010, 23:47

Another great opener from Rory "Shinkicker" this time from the album Stage Struck ...

"It's cold black coffee, eggs and grease"
"Stop in at the truckstop I don't want to sleep"

alternatively ...

"It's cold black coffee, fish & chips"
" Hello there pretty Mama, I love you too bits" :lol:

Rock on for Rory.

Ps. There's over 100 members On The Boards now. Surely other Rory fans have heard Rory improvising loads of times, like this.
Jay Jay

Postby Simone67 » 17 Mar 2010, 11:24

Yeah,Jay, probably was " Too much alcohol " ,or maybe "nothin`but the devil ".. I know I have heard other lines that Rory altered to adapt to his mood at the time though I cant remember them all in particular.
But then Rory always changed his intros to songs,solos,etc...that`s why it is so refreshing to hear his stuff over and over,you can never get tired of it,regardless how often you hear any of his tunes,you will always hear something else,something new.
I can`t recall how many versions of "Out on the western plain" I have heard, for example, and each one is always different,always new and always so captivating and fascinating over again ! :)
Simone67

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Mar 2010, 16:14

I certainly agree with those last comments about "Refreshingly Rory" there Simone.

Yes, always surprising, revamping and refreshing songs :)

"Souped Up Ford" was another he used to change I noticed, depending on where in the world he was playing ...
For example ..

UK ... " I'm going down to Dagenham to pick up a Ford for me " (Ford factory in UK being there)

USA .. " I'm going up to Detriot, to pick up a Ford for me" ( Ford factory in USA being there) ...

Also, he used to change the names of the cars in the intro to this song :P

Rock on for Rory
Jay Jay

Postby jimmcc » 17 Mar 2010, 16:21

jay jay ive just pm'd you
jimmcc

Postby lonelymile » 17 Mar 2010, 17:25

Simone67 wrote:..yeah,nice one! :) ..I´m not too sure as to what song exactly this is from,but I´ve heard Rory sing "My little girl put me in the mess I´m in"...and in another version another time he sang "..My little girl put me in the sh.., :P I´m in ..".. :shock: :lol:

I felt a bit shocked,but in an amused sort of way when I first heard this, because as far as I know, Rory did not swear.

Oh,I´m sure we can come up with some more ? Nice one, Jay !!

I think I heard, "the spin I'm in," on Irish Tour. But maybe that was his standard version? I never got to see him live.
lonelymile

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Mar 2010, 17:42

Or the "sh .." was .. " that little girl put me in the shape I'm in " as Rory often sang ...

I Wonder Who ... or I wonder which song? in this case now :mrgreen:

Keep em coming ...

Rock on for Rory
Jay Jay

Postby Doug » 17 Mar 2010, 17:54

On many versions of Shadow Play, Rory starts by saying Doctor Jekyll and later changes to "Mister Jekyll" as in.....

....a little Mister Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde.
Doug

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM