Rory Gallagher Changed Lyrics

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Re: Rory Gallagher Changed Lyrics

Postby 64351 » 18 Apr 2010, 11:18

Taste wrote:What is a scatman ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat_singing ;)

There is also a very nice change in I wonder who - Belfast 1984
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iypw6ZPAPo)
"if your love was honey baby[...]i buzz 'round like a bumble bee"
"the whiskey was in the river[...]would you come and swim around with me "
(pls, correct me if I am wrong)
Last edited by 64351 on 18 Apr 2010, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Apr 2010, 11:26

Thanks 64351 for showing this from Taste ...

Saved me explaining :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby silentreborn » 27 Feb 2012, 16:59

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I was always wondering what Rory sang during that version of "Shinkicker":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazzTFxXGeE

As far as I hear it, it's not the original verse:
C.C. Mama
Motorcycle queen
I'm gonna catch up with you with my lightning wheels.

During the Rockpalastconcert from 1979 he also sings something along the lines of:
C.C. Mama
Motorcycle queen
You sure look pretty good in those tight blue jeans

Can anybody confirm that this is the correct different version of 'Shinkicker'? :D
silentreborn

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Feb 2012, 17:15

silentreborn wrote:Sorry for digging up this old thread but I was always wondering what Rory sang during that version of "Shinkicker":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazzTFxXGeE

As far as I hear it, it's not the original verse:
C.C. Mama
Motorcycle queen
I'm gonna catch up with you with my lightning wheels.

During the Rockpalastconcert from 1979 he also sings something along the lines of:
C.C. Mama
Motorcycle queen
You sure look pretty good in those tight blue jeans

Can anybody confirm that this is the correct different version of 'Shinkicker'? :D

Hiya,
Yes that's just another great example of Rory's great improvisation live .. and how his lyrics & music were evolving and ever changing through the years :) ..

Never a dull moment .. Pure Gallagher Genius :)
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 27 Feb 2012, 20:55

i don't know how this topic went unnoticed by me almost 2 years ago when jay jay opened it. i like the fact that rory used to change the lyrics in the songs, it kind of kept everyone on their toes cos it wasn't the same old thing every night. and it gave the songs that special rory seal, especially to the songs that weren't written by him
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Sinner Girl » 27 Feb 2012, 21:54

And I really like it when Rory changed the words, or something adds
especially in the songs of old bluesers, and then it gives a whole new dimension of
songs and even when changing words in their songs that seem to me
real rock musicians and artists :D
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby silentreborn » 28 Feb 2012, 19:35

innuendo wrote:i don't know how this topic went unnoticed by me almost 2 years ago when jay jay opened it. i like the fact that rory used to change the lyrics in the songs, it kind of kept everyone on their toes cos it wasn't the same old thing every night. and it gave the songs that special rory seal, especially to the songs that weren't written by him

The amazing thing about all that is that he seemed to have an endless amount of new ideas for the lyrics and solos, everytime he played them. :)
silentreborn

Postby Faylool » 19 Sep 2017, 20:30

I'm not gonna look for the exact concert and don't remember the exact song except it was his....in the nineties sad times bluesie song he added " why can't I be happy like other people. I am hanging in Cork drinking myself half to death" might be a word or two off. It was a Cork performance....so I guess he was talking to sort of his people...not everybody..........
I found another one....singing Mean Disposition so maybe it wasn't his own song. He was in Germany. Same deal. Why can't I be happy like other people. I'm hanging in Cork and drinking myself half to death. I saved it to my own place but this site doesn't show me how to link from my place to here. I really could say a few things about such a change in lyrics but I'm not gonna. If his brother doesn't come forward with a biography, and doesn't look like he will, I have a bit to say about that too...but I'm not gonna. I will be listening to a lot of loved music delivered by a special man.
Baden Baden....'90 Ohne Filter. It's not a shame when, even if you are very talented and a very good person, to get beat by what I call "stuff". There is a lot of stuff out there. Rory's weakness is nothing compared to the weakness of too many people. Example. Serial killers! Ha ha. It's not funny. The famous serial killers are just a tip off the iceberg. The people in Germany loved Rory. Rory loved being loved. So why doesn't anybody ever talk about how his dad left? How he became some kind of man of the house. Is it the Irish way to not talk about such things? Like how his mom didn't indicate her birth year and date? How Rory's brother is so mum about some things. How Gerry could only enable, he's human after all.
It's not easy
Faylool

Postby Faylool » 28 Sep 2017, 11:04

Faylool

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM