Joe Bonamassa on Radio 2

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Re: Joe Bonamassa on Radio 2

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 19:16

I was really peeved that Joe Bonamassa did not mention Rory. He is coming to play in London March 2015 and thought I may go. I have changed my mind. He is nearer to my generation and he could have mentioned Rory. I know some musicians have played Rory's beloved Strat and this helps in keeping Rory's flame alive and gives the guitar an airing. Now I will say it. I hardly criticise people but watching Joe play Rory's Strat was painful to watch. Rory's guitar is alive and she was wailing for Rory. There I had my say. I think only Rory's family should play his beloved Strat. For Joe it was indeed a photo opportunity. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Oct 2014, 01:22

SUBY1974 wrote:I was really peeved that Joe Bonamassa did not mention Rory. He is coming to play in London March 2015 and thought I may go. I have changed my mind. He is nearer to my generation and he could have mentioned Rory. I know some musicians have played Rory's beloved Strat and this helps in keeping Rory's flame alive and gives the guitar an airing. Now I will say it. I hardly criticise people but watching Joe play Rory's Strat was painful to watch. Rory's guitar is alive and she was wailing for Rory. There I had my say. I think only Rory's family should play his beloved Strat. For Joe it was indeed a photo opportunity. Subrata.x

I agree. And I felt the same way, as though the guitar wanted to cry for Rory, because no one else could make it sing the way he could. That guitar was very much Rory's voice, and to hear it played by Joe was sad. The Strat should only be played by someone who realizes how much of an honor and privilege it is. But I can understand why Donal would want to hear it sing again, in hope that we would hear Rory one more time.

8-) Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 27 Oct 2014, 17:51

RobertaSparrow wrote:But I can understand why Donal would want to hear it sing again, in hope that we would hear Rory one more time.

I'd argue it was probably more motivated by the hope that a hip contemporary blues guitarist playing that ol' Stratocaster of Rory would attract attention and perhaps raise a new generation's interest in Rory's person and music. In other words: It was a publicity stunt. And while keeping Rory's legacy alive and attracting new fans is admirable, letting Bonamassa play THAT guitar was, arguable, the wrong way to do it. I've said it before, but Bonamassa's style of blues is basically the antithesis to Rory's way of playing. Hell, his whole appearance and stage demeanor couldn't be further from what Rory was known for. It was simply a bad fit.

With that being said, I don't begrudge Bonamassa not name-dropping Rory at every possible occasion. I mean, why would he? He might admire him and been influenced by him (at least to a certain extent), but he's not a salesman hellbend on raising Rory's profile. Also, he most likely has dozens of different musical heroes besides Rory. His world doesn't revolve around Rory. Simple as that.

And let's face it, not everybody can be as cool as Slash. ;)
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby maybeiwill » 28 Oct 2014, 21:58

Bonamassa IMO is like the Quinton Tarrantino of the blues guitar - a sorta, kinda geeky genious, but too full of himself. I have to agree that it was a misplaced act of publicity - not worthy of Rory or his famed guitar! The Strat is an icon that we identify with Rory, and as so many of you stated before, only Rory could truly make it "sing." How about making a Rory Gallagher museum in Ballyshannon or Cork and placing it lovingly on exhibit for all Rory fans to see? Allowing other musicians to play it, no matter how good they are, is just not right somehow.
maybeiwill

Postby Tokeiihto » 28 Oct 2014, 23:01

I have to disagree with the Tarantino part. The assertion that Quentin Tarantino is rather full of himself might be true, but his incredible comprehensive understanding of film - and I mean actual understanding, not just familiarity - as well as his oftentimes absolute brilliant utilization of said knowledge ... that's something completely different than, in Bonamassa's case, being a technically accomplished blues guitarist who simply regurgitates what other have done before without really adding something new or/and interesting to the table. Tarantino elevates genre fiction by subverting tropes, having completely mastered its form, Bonamassa copies SRV, Moore and others. I dunno, a more appropriate comparision would probably be someone like Edward Zwick or Tom Hooper.

Sorry, I didn't want to go off on a tangent and derail this tread, but I think Tarantino is much, much more important (deservedly so) to filmmaking than Bonamassa will ever be to music or even just the blues.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Oct 2014, 05:53

Joe Bonamassa is to Rory Gallagher as Tommy Wiseau is to Francis Ford Coppola. IMHO.
RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 29 Oct 2014, 12:43

Perhaps Joe, as a fan, simply felt it would be a massive honour to play the strat that is forever associated with one of his heroes.

Would anyone here turn down the chance for a go??

The fact that JB (who I have no great opinion of in either direction) has a profile that gets him a very public play on The Strat is just down to his success as a musician. He is also one of the few to have successfully covered Rory live and on record as part of a full time, commercially viable career. He has no need of the publicity, nor is he short of nice guitars to play. So it will have been a treat and an honour for him, and I suspect the Gallagher family are delighted when high profile, succesful players want to honour Rory.

Is he as good as Rory? No.
Would anyone here turn down a chance to paly The Strat? No.
Why would Jo ??
folkdeejay

Postby Tokeiihto » 29 Oct 2014, 17:39

RobertaSparrow wrote:Joe Bonamassa is to Rory Gallagher as Tommy Wiseau is to Francis Ford Coppola. IMHO.

:lol:
Now THAT is harsh!
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Oct 2014, 17:53

Tokeiihto wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Joe Bonamassa is to Rory Gallagher as Tommy Wiseau is to Francis Ford Coppola. IMHO.

:lol:
Now THAT is harsh!

I knew you'd get that reference . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby maybeiwill » 29 Oct 2014, 18:25

I really didn't mean my remark as a "diss" to Tarrantino - I think he is an absolute genious! Joe B. just actually rather physically reminded me of Tarrantino - not so much looks, but rather his movements and speech patterns. If you've seen them both in interviews, you might get a wee glimmer of what I mean - although it might be a bit subtle.

P.S. Yeah, Roberta Sparrow - I got that reference too and "harsh" is putting it mildly (but hilariously!) :lol:
maybeiwill

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM