Visiting Rory in Cork June 2015

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Visiting Rory in Cork June 2015

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Sep 2014, 12:12

I know it's a little early, but I'm wondering, anyone planning on going to Cork next June? I know the Cork Rocks for Rory event starts on Friday the 5th of June and ends on the 7th. I decided a few years ago that I would go to Cork to see Rory's hometown, and to visit his resting place. The week of the Cork Rocks for Rory celebration sounds like as good a time as any to do it, but I wonder, how many others here are planning on going to Cork next June? Might be fun to meet up there, walk around the streets of his hometown with Rory. :) He can be our host- :mrgreen:

Trying out Jim's new link 8-)

@JimLED works pretty good-

I'll try it again-
RobertaSparrow

Re: Visiting Rory in Cork June 2015

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Sep 2014, 12:35

Hi Cynthia. I am seeing Susie on the 20/09/2014 for the Sinnerboy gig in Edinburgh and we will be discussing about going to Ireland for Rory's anniversary of his passing. It will sadly be 20yrs since he left the physical plane but his spirit lives on. I don't how long I will be stopping in Cork. I don't know at this stage which festival we will be going to. It could be Ballyshannon or Cork. I will definately be going to Ballincollig to make my annual visit to Rory as i promised him. I also want to visit Dublin because it is a writers capital and I want to see the largest waterfall in Europe which happens to be in Ireland. Anyway as soon as I discuss my plans with Susie I will let you know. It would be nice to meet up. Also I am going to Greece and Turkey next year and I have to sort out my annual leave with work. So much to plan and so much will be happening to me in 2015. Subrata.x I am saving again and this Sinnerboy is important for Susie as she and others helped to arrange it and with this she is going into Events Management. She may do this full time as well as playing in her band. Rory is always helping us and he will sort out the trip for us and for you. By going to Ireland and through Rory she met many musicians and they are all helping her in her musical path. I am more interested in the healing side music so that I can incorporate that do in my motivation work. Rory believed music can heal. Its fitting Susie is beginning Events Management with Sinnerboy who continue to keep Rory's flame alive. Also Ger in Cork is a great bloke and organises gigs and his experience will be invaluable to Susie. I could go on and on. I now firmly believe Rory helped me and Susie to meet. X
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Sep 2014, 18:05

Hi Suby,

I can easily be envious, you who live in Europe can so easily traverse the paths of so much of the world's history and culture. The internet in so many ways has made the world smaller, and in a sense I suppose that is a good second-best, to be able to see and hear, albeit through a monitor screen and speakers. It isn't the same as being there, but two of the five, or maybe three of the six senses isn't too bad.

For me, I don't think I can afford to do this more than once, and not for more than a week or two at best. But who knows? We shall see. I made the same promise to Rory, that I would go there once, was supposed to be this year, I wish it could be every year. But you and Susie said hello to him for me, and Jim and his friends brought the flowers I wanted to give Rory. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross in Ireland. ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 08 Sep 2014, 11:12

I'm wanting to, but I am looking at prices. I wanted to do a Rory/my family trip and stay in Ireland for a couple of weeks going to roryfest and cork, but after looking into prices I can see me only doing about 5 days in Ireland. I had no idea it was so expense and I do want to stay in a room with a en suite bathroom - I'm too old for hostels.
Hotels are filling up in June, I noticed, so I need to decide quick. I do wish Roryfest wasn't up in the middle of nowhere in the north. There's a lot of travelling involved. I do aim to get over to Ireland next year, visit Rory and pay my respects, see where he lived and see where my family lived in Dublin before coming over to England. It's a work in progress, I would describe it.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Sep 2014, 11:20

Tibbierocks wrote:I'm wanting to, but I am looking at prices. I wanted to do a Rory/my family trip and stay in Ireland for a couple of weeks going to roryfest and cork, but after looking into prices I can see me only doing about 5 days in Ireland. I had no idea it was so expense and I do want to stay in a room with a en suite bathroom - I'm too old for hostels.
Hotels are filling up in June, I noticed, so I need to decide quick. I do wish Roryfest wasn't up in the middle of nowhere in the north. There's a lot of travelling involved. I do aim to get over to Ireland next year, visit Rory and pay my respects, see where he lived and see where my family lived in Dublin before coming over to England. It's a work in progress, I would describe it.

I know what you mean. If I can only do one, it would definitely be Cork. I am determined to do Cork, and see those places, and visit Rory at St. Oliver's. Ballyshannon seems to be the place to be, though, so I am prepared at this point to do that as well, but not at the expense of seeing Rory one last time. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby maybeiwill » 09 Sep 2014, 23:58

Wish I could make the trip to either Ballyshannon or Cork, but this seems highly unlikely for me in the near future. My husband's idea of good music is salsa and he would have a heart attack....make that ANOTHER heart attack....before he would let me go! I have always wanted to visit the British Isles, but I guess I'll just have to Google Maps it and walk down the streets in virtual reality. I've already visited Ballyshannon that way!
maybeiwill

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Sep 2014, 18:13

Hi Cynthia, Susie and I have decided to go to Cork instead next year. We will not be going to the Ballyshannon festival. We both felt that Cork would be it for 2015. We will be near Rory as we feel is spirit strongly there. It is a nice relaxed festival. Ballyshannon is also very good too. The festival will be on the 5/6/7th of June and we hope to go to Ireland from the 1/6/2014 to the 7/6/2014. We are meeting in Dublin and we are going to tour to the city. I particularly love Dublin as its a writers capital and will be visiting the Writers Museum there and the music district of Dublin. Also when i first went to Ireland in 2000 we went to Powers Court House and gardens, so I will be seeing that again and the largest waterfall in Europe which is not far from the house. I fell in love with Ireland long before I met Susie and Rory. I will hopefully see you and your daughter at the Cork Festival then. I had a dream Rory wanted us to come to Cork again next year for the 20th so Cork it is. Now we have to wait if we can both get annual leave from work at the same time. So much planning but we will get there in the end one way or another. I am sure Rory is taking care of the details. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Sep 2014, 18:44

Tibbierocks wrote:I'm wanting to, but I am looking at prices. I wanted to do a Rory/my family trip and stay in Ireland for a couple of weeks going to roryfest and cork, but after looking into prices I can see me only doing about 5 days in Ireland. I had no idea it was so expense and I do want to stay in a room with a en suite bathroom - I'm too old for hostels.

Yes we travelled from Cork to Ballyshannon in May 2013 and it was quite a journey. No trains go that way. It was a "vertical ascent" for us. Yes Ireland can be a bit pricy but Travellodge do good prices and the train and bus journeys are not too inexpensive. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Sep 2014, 18:53

RobertaSparrow wrote:Hi Suby,

I can easily be envious, you who live in Europe can so easily traverse the paths of so much of the world's history and culture. The internet in so many ways has made the world smaller, and in a sense I suppose that is a good second-best, to be able to see and hear, albeit through a monitor screen and speakers. It isn't the same as being there, but two of the five, or maybe three of the six senses isn't too bad.

For me, I don't think I can afford to do this more than once, and not for more than a week or two at best. But who knows? We shall see. I made the same promise to Rory, that I would go there once, was supposed to be this year, I wish it could be every year. But you and Susie said hello to him for me, and Jim and his friends brought the flowers I wanted to give Rory. Who knows, maybe our paths will cross in Ireland. ;)

Hi Cynthia, Yes I am lucky to live in London and Europe and I believe my "soul" chose to be born here to be able to pursue my creative and spiritual path. Everything I need is here. I love traveling a lot. Rory traveled for work purposes but I love seeing places. I guess up to the age of 21 (as a student)i wasn't allowed to go to pubs, concerts or to travel outside the UK. My family are traditional and kept me in a bubble. In 1995 as soon as I left Uni and started my working life, I began to travel and do the things I wanted to do. I soon had money in my pocket to do that and I did not care what anyone thought. I guess I am going through "middle youth" still. I have been all over Europe, USA, Egypt and my last port call will be India, Australian, New Zealand and to see the Astec pyramids in South America. I remember as a student I could not even go away to University. In 1993 I asked my family if I could work in America for the summer and they said "No". I could feel resentful but they were just protective of a young girl. Anyway it made me more determined to see the world one day and it gives me inspiration for my writing. I get the traveling bug from my mother and her side of the family. I wish I could visit America more easily (as I have family there) but its the cost and everything. I want to see humpback whales in Alaska. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby jenniferj » 16 Sep 2014, 06:21

Hi, yes Graham and I are coming to Ireland next year for Ballyshannon and Cork festivals. It is the 20th anniversary so I think its appropriate. We haven't been over for 2 years now, and 3 years by next year so its time for a return journey....look forward to meeting you there.
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM