Gerry McAvoy Thread

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Turncoat McAvoy Again Slanders Rory

Postby maybeiwill » 26 Sep 2014, 16:24

Thanks Jay Jay for that timely reminder. This is the ONLY forum I go to and when things start turning ugly....well, I've visited others where bad language and insults fly. Certainly not my cup of tea! Let's remain civilized - I don't think Rory would approve of any bad behavior.
That being said, I must agree that it is impolite and downright mean to speak ill of the dead....McAvoy - GET OVER IT!!!! :mrgreen:
maybeiwill

Postby photofinish » 26 Sep 2014, 17:23

Unbelievable...as I keep saying..none of us were on the road from 1971..1990 with Rory...get over yourselves..and move on...
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Sep 2014, 19:28

photofinish wrote:Unbelievable...as I keep saying..none of us were on the road from 1971..1990 with Rory...get over yourselves..and move on...

Mark, this thread jumped the tracks a long time ago and ceased having anything to do, with anything to do, with the original topic. I washed my hands of it long before the case of mistaken identity, and it no longer has any meaning whatsoever. In fact if you're reading this Jay Jay, can this entire thread go into the $hi7c@n where all the rest of the crap belongs?
RobertaSparrow

Postby jedcop » 26 Sep 2014, 19:36

i understand peoples feelings towards gerry mcvoy,i have been a fan of rory and his music since 1971,that said the man is not a saint,he has done some things which perhaps we would not agree with,look what happened to taste mk 1,instead of trying to get a record contract with GREAT MUSICIANS he dumps them and the recording contract with the new guys becomes availaible.me i think if rory had struck with the mark 1 taste he would have got a recording contract sooner than later,other things that rory has done will i think stay a secret,but please remember he is/was a human being and like us we all make mistakes in our lives......jedcop
jedcop

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Sep 2014, 19:44

jedcop wrote:i understand peoples feelings towards gerry mcvoy,i have been a fan of rory and his music since 1971,that said the man is not a saint,he has done some things which perhaps we would not agree with,look what happened to taste mk 1,instead of trying to get a record contract with GREAT MUSICIANS he dumps them and the recording contract with the new guys becomes availaible.me i think if rory had struck with the mark 1 taste he would have got a recording contract sooner than later,other things that rory has done will i think stay a secret,but please remember he is/was a human being and like us we all make mistakes in our lives......jedcop

Jedcop, I agree with you in that I think, and again, it's only my opinion which is worth exactly nothing, but I think that Rory likely regretted letting "management" AKA Kennedy, talk him into subbing the musicians that he chose for the ones his management chose, for the rest of his life. That whole debacle shaded his decisions in regard to letting anyone tell him what to do, for the rest of his amazing career. IMO, it soured and scarred him on "the music industry" for the rest of his life.

Rory isn't the only one sold down the river by unscrupulous stuffed suits. Now there's a topic for a book- all the great talented artists that were used, abused, and tossed aside by the powered, monied interests. Would be a sad, tragic tale indeed.
RobertaSparrow

Postby jedcop » 26 Sep 2014, 20:36

perhaps donal would like like to write a biography and letting us into the world of the gallagher family..........jedcop
jedcop

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Sep 2014, 20:55

jedcop wrote:perhaps donal would like like to write a biography and letting us into the world of the gallagher family..........jedcop

:D I think he has that intent, but writing a good book is not as easy as most people think. He maybe should get someone to help him, someone who is comfortable with writing, who does it for fun. Hey, I'd volunteer! I live to write, and my favorite subject to write about would be Rory! (blatant hint hint) Hey Donal, if you read this, you want a volunteer to help you write the book about Rory, I'll help! And I've been to College, too! :lol: (seriously though, I'd love to help).
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Sep 2014, 21:54

jedcop wrote:i understand peoples feelings towards gerry mcvoy,i have been a fan of rory and his music since 1971,that said the man is not a saint,he has done some things which perhaps we would not agree with,look what happened to taste mk 1,instead of trying to get a record contract with GREAT MUSICIANS he dumps them and the recording contract with the new guys becomes availaible.me i think if rory had struck with the mark 1 taste he would have got a recording contract sooner than later,other things that rory has done will i think stay a secret,but please remember he is/was a human being and like us we all make mistakes in our lives......jedcop

Rory was only 20 years old when the corrupt Eddie Kennedy management took Rory and Taste Mark 1 under their wing. Rory was just a boy. Right from the moment he chose his music vocation ( or his vocation chose him) he was trying to get his music to the people. It must have pained him terribly when Eddie Kennedy said Polydor would only sign him and not the rest of the band. Obviously we now believe this may not be true. Its easy for us to say Rory should have stuck with Taste Mark 1 and they would have been discovered by another record company. But can one really predict the future? Here is a young boy being given a Polydor contract and it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for Rory to have got his music to a wider audience. Also he did not have that much experience of the music industry at this stage in his career. Rory made a decision to let Taste Mark 1 go because he felt he had no choice. Also John Wilson and Charlie McCracken had more studio experience. Taste Mark 2 are certainly an extraordinary band and they set the basis for Rory to launch his incredible solo career. I am glad Rory went solo otherwise I would never have known all the guitar styles that he plays. Life is about choices and sometime we make the right ones and sometime we don't. There is always a cause and effect. Rory and Taste Mark 1 should not have signed with Eddie at all but then Eddie had a lot of contacts in the music industry in Northern Ireland. Perhaps there was no other avenue. I am reading a Queen biography at the moment and Queen had problems with their Trident Management when they launched their albums with them. Queen wanted to go elsewhere but Trident was all they had at the time and for an unknown band they probably had no choice. Same with Rory and Taste Mark 1. The thing with Rory I find, he may have made mistakes but he learnt from them. He never repeated them. We all make mistakes and we learn from that. That is life. Taste Mark 1 band members ( Eric and Norman) never had a bad word to say about Rory and I am sure they were pleased with his success.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Sep 2014, 01:34

Good answer Suby. If the seasons weren't changing and making me walk the gnarly edge of the knife, spiritually speaking, I'd have tried to say it that way.

here's a taste of Rory to get through another long night-

RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 03 Oct 2014, 13:19

I found out Rory had a manager before Kennedy - he was a friend of someone I met in Cork:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ar ... 48356.html
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

PreviousNext

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE