Gerry McAvoy Thread

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Gerry McAvoy Thread

Postby capo » 17 May 2014, 17:35

In the latest issue of culturenorthernireland.org is an interview with McAvoy were he again not only slams Rory for not paying him enough and not using McAvoys picture on early album covers but has added a new outrage, that Rory's musicianship had "deteriorated" to such a degree that gigs were "less successful" and McAvoy wanted out, apparently Rory was embarrassing him! What out and out bull...t! Rory may have been unhappy and unwell but he was at the peak of his playing those last years McAvoy was with him. The final tour in '91 Rory never played better. True, his energy level and vigor wasn't as it was in the '70's but his playing had reached a level of maturity and virtuosity like never before. Oh, he also wanted to write his own songs. Look how that turned out, how many of his 'classic' songs does he include on a nightly basis while he makes a living off of Rory's songwriting gifts? None! I wish I could be at the Festival when his "Band Of Fiends" plays and I could confront him in person. Well, maybe I'm over reacting, which does happen now and again with me, but my blood is boiling. Am I alone in this?
capo

Re: Turncoat McAvoy Again Slanders Rory

Postby Tom Jonas » 17 May 2014, 19:06

McAvoy is an excellent basist, but I agree, his "biography" should have been subject of a peer review and more good advice before publication.
But he got his chance when he started his new band. I have never bothered to listen to them. What's the verdict?
Tom Jonas

Postby Jay Jay » 17 May 2014, 19:54

I'll be at the Rory Fest this year in Ballyshannon for my 12th consecutive time.

McAvoy played there last year with BOF, for the first time in ten years. I walked out on his self indulgent show, like a few other RORY FANS did..
To go and watch other younger more exciting Rory tribute bands playing honestly, like RORY used to @ other venues in Ballyshannon :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. Yes I'll give him credit as an excellent bassist. That's why Rory hired him. Yet Gerry McAvoy has no need to hog the centre stage with BOF?
In front of Marcel (vocals / lead guitar) With Gerry speaking for minutes between songs about being on tour with Rory. Although he does not even sing any of the vocals in Rory's songs???
Jay Jay

Postby Tom Jonas » 17 May 2014, 20:07

How very sad!
I had hopes that some of the Rory-spirit would transmigrate into at least bits of his continuing career.
But don't be to harsh on him. He was an excellent basist in Rory's short Life.
Tom Jonas

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 May 2014, 03:48

No, Capo, you aren't alone . . . :cry:

Rory had an effect on his fans, his audience that, well, we who got to see him perform on stage know what I mean, he was an impassioned, high energy artist, all that passion and raw energy poured out of him when he played, he mesmerized and energized his audience, and all that storm of emotion was contagious. It was like that for the audience, imagine how it was for the musicians who shared the stage with him. They were all accomplished musicians, but IMO Rory brought out the very best in them, and McAvoy was no different. He owes whatever measure of fame and fortune he has to Rory, and he ought to be grateful that Rory chose him way back when. Because had he not played with Rory Gallagher, he would have been just another garden variety session player eking out a living as best he could. But he tagged along with Rory until he thought he had a stronger hand, 'til he thought there were greener pastures to be had.

By his own admission, when he perceived that Rory was weaker, needed the help and support of those closest to him, Gerry delivered his metaphorical sucker punch and walked out on Rory. Carried on his ho-hum existence until Rory died, then wrote that damn book, and formed a "tribute band." And now continues to live off of Rory's good name.

Yeah, Gerry has a following of loyal Rory fans. I don't understand it, but to each his own. But I read his book, the words he wrote. The words he wrote about Rory, that he signed his name to, that was purported to be his autobiography, but was marketed to Rory's fans. I had no real opinion about McAvoy til I read his book. Gave him the benefit of the doubt, because Rory chose him out of obscurity. But I read his book, and I've seen his YouTube clips in BoF.

Rory looks so tired there, but he also looks so happy, in his element, trading off with Jack Bruce there 8-)
Now, there's a bass player that was in Rory's class-
I have the DVD of this, and in the DVD you can see Gerry McAvoy in the background, behind Jack, watching from the sidelines. I'd love to have heard his inner monologue as he watched his boss and Jack- :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 18 May 2014, 10:32

RobertaSparrow wrote: have the DVD of this, and in the DVD you can see Gerry McAvoy in the background, behind Jack, watching from the sidelines. I'd love to have heard his inner monologue as he watched his boss and Jack-

Cynthia, Capo and all RORY FANS..

If you've watched this Rockpalast DVD, what does Jack Bruce say at the end of this performance? Quoting Jack he says " The GREAT Rory Gallagher " :)
I've seen Gerry many times in interviews and on stage with BOF. Yet never heard him say those words about Rory.

BTW Cynthia, Gerry does not want his band considered as a " Rory Gallagher Tribute Band " either. He calls it a celebration of Rory's music?
IMHO, I see it that he does not want to see himself as lesser a musician. Or feels he is above all those extremely talented younger RG Tribute Bands :(

Rock On for Rory (Not just for the money though)
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 May 2014, 13:49

**sigh** I don't want to hold on to anger about it, it does no good, opens old wounds for everyone. It tends to be an emotional issue for his fans and friends. It's a polarizing subject.

Bruce: "The Great Rory Gallagher"

I will say, as far as Rory was concerned, perhaps someone like Jack would have been better for Rory on several levels. Rory was always the front man in his band, and it suited him, but when he began to feel the pressure, it would have maybe been better letting someone else drive now and then. And Gerry wouldn't have been up to it.

These Rockpalast clips with Rory and Jack are some of my favorites.

You can see Rory step back and let Jack drive for a while, he looks content to do it. Gerry's playing was always somewhat reactive- entirely dependent on Rory's moves, and in response to Rory's pace.

When he plays with Jack he lets the reigns loose quite a bit, Jack's approach to Rory's playing is more assertive, more give and take, each takes in and responds to the other's playing. It's more of a musical conversation, a give and take. Jack takes in what Rory plays, and he more than responds to it, he answers Rory, and poses another one. And Rory looks happy and relaxed, content to share the creative process with another artist.

To this day, I wonder what it would have been like if Rory had partnered up with Jack for some recordings. I think it would have turned some heads.

In the early years with Gerry, you can see Rory challenge him that same way, but Gerry just isn't up to it. In later years, you see the emphasis shift away from Gerry and more toward Mark, and you can see a similar dynamic between Mark and Rory as you do with Jack.

Gerry was jealous and envious of Rory. IMO he still is.
RobertaSparrow

Postby May » 18 May 2014, 21:00

You aren`t alone ...
May

Postby photofinish » 20 May 2014, 10:07

Here we go again.....Band of friends are playing Ballyshannon no doubt cos there getting paid a lot if money...from what i gather its getting a money making exercise...so blame the organisers for that...ur all gud at slagging Gerry off...no doubt u wouldn't dare say it to his face...Gerry has as much right to play Rory's music as anyone else...i see Sinner Boy..now appear at bottom of poster...that says it all...wots Mungo Jerry got to do with Rory for gods sake..
photofinish

Postby Annie Elliott » 20 May 2014, 11:12

I’m glad Gerry talks about Rory, I’m glad he wrote his book. I might not agree with everything he says, but he was someone who knew yer man for a long time, spent a lot of time with him, and when Gerry talks, people pay attention because of it. So it keeps Rory alive in memory, not a bad thing. And I’m glad Gerry keeps playing Rory’s music, because he’s the one who knows it best now. And whether it’s called a tribute band or a celebration doesn’t really matter, because it’s both and people listen and that’s what matters.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE