Any Rory Influence Here?

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Any Rory Influence Here?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Apr 2014, 03:44

(Note, I moved this from the not-so-much about Rory to here, because the thread seems to have taken more of a Rory flavor, and I figured, comments? or perhaps other newer musicians, bands, acts that have a decidedly Rory influence to them, but have never acknowledged one?)

----------
(Formerly from the thread, Jack White says he never heard Rory?)

I don't believe he never heard Rory play-

RobertaSparrow

Re: Jack White says he never heard Rory?

Postby innuendo » 04 May 2014, 20:25

is there actually a point in this video where he said that?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: Jack White says he never heard Rory?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 May 2014, 23:01

innuendo wrote:is there actually a point in this video where he said that?

No, no he doesn't. Nothing in that clip- I just think it's an example of similarity in style and technique, of a young guitarist who has a way with a guitar and an audience. And I had read that when asked, he said he had never heard Rory. I think he was a little kid who heard Rory through his older brothers and sisters, absorbed the music, and doesn't remember.

My daughter had taken me to see Jack White. She knows the kind of music I like, and I had heard of the White Stripes but never seen them. I don't go much to concerts anymore ;)

But she wanted me to see Jack play live, so she took me to see him play, as did her friend and her friend's mom. It was a peculiar night, all these young people, and a surprising number of them had an older parent it tow. Adult children taking a parent to see a musician, much like we would take them to a circus or carnival when they were little.

When Jack stepped out on the stage, his approach to the audience and his manner of playing were strikingly similar to Rory's. I don't think he's as good as Rory, but he's pretty good, and it seems to me there is more than a passing resemblance to both acts, and if he never saw Rory or heard him I'd be amazed.

He did one of his own songs, "Hotel Yorba," and he had the whole audience on their feet and singing along, and I immediately flashed back to seeing Rory for the first time in Long Beach, CA, when the sound system went belly up, and Rory had to entertain the audience with just his acoustic instruments and his raw talent, and the way he had us up on our feet for "Going To My Hometown."

After that concert, I started searching the internet for any reference of Jack's to Rory or his music. The only snippets I found were others who had also seen Rory way back when, and Jack today, and noticed the similarity. And I heard, not through a direct quote though, that when asked, Jack replied that he had never heard or seen Rory play. Jack is the youngest in a family with 12 kids, grew up in Detroit, so maybe he doesn't remember it, but it's hard to believe that none of his older siblings ever had or played a Rory album til it wore out, like we did back then.

So, perhaps he doesn't remember hearing Rory, but there seems an influence there nonetheless-

Here's another-
As a rule, he plays this, everyone is on their feet, singing along,

like this-

So I left the Jack White concert thinking, that was really good, and thinking about Rory for the rest of the evening. 8-) And wishing I could see Rory playing it one more time, from the audience ;)

P.S.

Found this on YouTube this morning, no video, but the audio is from Santa Monica 1973 and I was there, in the audience, at that show!!! :lol: (Jumping up and down and happy at the moment) :mrgreen:

RobertaSparrow

Re: Any Rory Influence Here?

Postby JimLED » 05 May 2014, 00:40

Ted Turner from Wishbone Ash. Looks and play like Rory. What do you say?

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 May 2014, 00:50

[quote="JimLED"]Image
Ted Turner from Wishbone Ash. Looks and play like Rory. What do you say? [quote]

Hmmm . . . Yes a definite resemblance, but he was more a contemporary of Rory's?

(And, I'm relieved to see you back :D )
RobertaSparrow

Postby blues blooded » 13 Jul 2014, 19:43

I've never heard of Jack White. Who the .... Is he?
blues blooded

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2014, 02:05

blues blooded wrote:I've never heard of Jack White. Who the .... Is he?

A newcomer comparatively speaking, I wouldn't have heard of him either except my daughter was in high school when he hit the scene, he did/does music based on many of the same influences as Rory did, just a way of showing the thread from musician to musician is stronger than we think, and I think that someday soon there will be some young, unknown talent that will "rediscover" Rory, as young Rory did when he hit the scene, when he revitalized all that great music that came before him, picked up the torch and carried it. Some young formerly unknown talent will one day soon do the same for Rory.
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 27 Jul 2014, 18:20

jack white is so overrated, i listened recently to all his solo stuff and white stripes albums and he just doesn't do anything for me.
innuendo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Jul 2014, 03:33

innuendo wrote:jack white is so overrated, i listened recently to all his solo stuff and white stripes albums and he just doesn't do anything for me.

You listened to all his stuff? I kinda like him, but I've never listened to all his music. I saw him once in concert, my daughter's taking me again next month to see him. No, he isn't anywhere near as good as Rory was. That's one of the things that is so interesting about exchanging ideas on this site, we all come from different backgrounds and cultures and we all have our own favorites, but with at least this one thing in common- a love of Rory's music. A lot of it is generational. I've always had rather eclectic tastes in music, I think most of us do. And the only reason I am aware of the newer music and artists is my daughter keeps me up to date. Her dad is a professional musician, as is her uncle. Otherwise I would still be perusing the 70s albums at the record store cut-out bins.

I wonder, Rory was at the forefront of the resurgence of the blues that happened in the 60s, as he said, at the crest of the wave. But what if he had been born later in the century? He was driven from the age that he began to think of what he wanted to do with his life- he always said he wanted to be a musician. I've no doubt he would have followed that same path had he been born in the 80s or 90s, and I don't doubt he would be on the cutting edge now. I'm sure he would make a grand entrance if this was his time instead of the late 60s-early 70s. Whatever it would have been, we'd all be taking notice. :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 28 Jul 2014, 08:50

yes, i listened to all white stripes studio albums, both of his studio albums, both the raconteurs albums and both the dead weather albums. so it's not like i listened to a few tracks and said i don't like him, i really gave him a shot and he sound so pretentious and it's like he's trying to be artsy and it just doesn't work for me. i only like two white stripes song (you're pretty good looking for a girl and seven nation army) which is basically nothing out of all those albums he made.
innuendo

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM