A Song That Brought Rory to Mind-

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

A Song That Brought Rory to Mind-

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Nov 2013, 10:57

Here's a thought, and it beats sitting around contemplating eternity-

Ever hear a song and think, that sounds almost as if it could have been written about Rory? If you have, add it to the thread.

This is the second time in a week that I heard a song, and thought, that could have been written about Rory's life. The first one was Energy Orchard's "Remember My Name," and featured Rory's beautiful guitar work.

I was listening to my iPod while at work today, and Jimi came on- a song I've heard before, but never paid any attention to the lyrics, but this time I heard them, and again, the words made me think- it could be about Rory's life,

Highway Chile-

Yeah, his guitar slung across his back
His dusty boots is his cadillac
Flamin' hair just a blowin' in the wind
Ain't seen a bed in so long it's a sin
He left home when he was seventeen
The rest of the world he had longed to see
But everybody knows the boss
A rolling stone who gathers no moss

But you'd probably call him a tramp
But it goes a little deeper than that
He's a highway chile, yeah

Now some people say he had a girl back home
Who messed around and did him pretty wrong
They tell me it kinda hurt him bad
Kinda made him feel pretty sad
I couldn't say what went through his mind
Anyway, he left the world behind
But everybody knows the same old story,
In love and war you can't lose in glory

Now you'd probably call him a tramp
But I know it goes a little deeper than that
He's a highway chile

Walk on brother, yeah
One more brother

His old guitar slung across his back
His dusty boots is his cadillac
Flamin' hair just a blowin' in the wind
Ain't seen a bed in so long it's a sin

Now you may call him a tramp
But I know it goes a little deeper than that
He's a highway chile

Walk on brother
Don't let no one stop you
Highway chile
Yeah yeah yeah
Highway chile
Go on down the highway
Highway chile
Yeah yeah yeah
Highway chile
RobertaSparrow

Re: A Song That Brought Rory to Mind-

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Nov 2013, 18:04

RobertaSparrow wrote:Here's a thought, and it beats sitting around contemplating eternity-

Ever hear a song and think, that sounds almost as if it could have been written about Rory? If you have, add it to the thread.

I like this topic Cynthia :)

Yes! I'll think of some other songs that come to mind after his one..

ONLY RORY himself can follow JIMI ;)
IMHO, these two were The 'GREATEST FRONT-MEN / GUITARISTS' of the 20th Century ;)

Looks like RORY's saying slainte on that still above hey :D
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2013, 07:10

Rory's Strat weeps for him- :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's the darkest hour
of the darkest night.
It's a million miles
from the morning light.

Can't get no sleep.
Don't know what to do.
I've got those midnight blues.

When the shadows fall,
I feel the night closing in.
There must be some reason
for this mood I'm getting in.

Can't get no sleep.
Don't know what to do.
I've got those midnight blues.

Every evening after sundown,
as the light begins to fade.
I feel so low, but I just don't know
why these blues won't go away.

It's the darkest hour
of the darkest night.
It's a million miles
to the morning light.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 28 Nov 2013, 13:21

Argh, whenever I see that video posted, I just want to scream "Noooo!" :x

I'm sorry, I know Bonnamassa is a huge fan and I have no doubt that he felt very humbled when he was allowed to play Rory's strat, but - to me - he's the antithesis to everything Rory stood for as a performer and guitarist. Bonnamassa's playing is overblown, generic and painful one-dimensional, lacking everything that made Rory's music unique. And don't get me started on the whole suit and sunglasses thing ...
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2013, 18:06

Tokeiihto wrote:Argh, whenever I see that video posted, I just want to scream "Noooo!" :x

I'm sorry, I know Bonnamassa is a huge fan and I have no doubt that he felt very humbled when he was allowed to play Rory's strat, but - to me - he's the antithesis to everything Rory stood for as a performer and guitarist. Bonnamassa's playing is overblown, generic and painful one-dimensional, lacking everything that made Rory's music unique. And don't get me started on the whole suit and sunglasses thing ...

---------------------------------

I'm not too partial to Bonnamassa either. For the most part, as a player he's boring. And I don't like his voice. He's a big deal here in Eugene, though. Don't know why. But the local record store has his autograph all over the place. He has some connection to the Pacific Northwest though, and he used to play at that store fairly often, and he knows the owners pretty well.

Makes me cringe to hear him play any of Rory's stuff (see previous posts) but that one I could stand, because it isn't Rory's.

But I like Rory's guitar, and I do think it cries for him.
RobertaSparrow

Postby vasdis » 28 Nov 2013, 18:32

I must have albums by a different Jo-Bo ,what with all the production line X Factor /Pop Idol garbage ,he is a pleasant refreshing change.Apart from Rory his
influences also lie with Led Zeppelin,Free, Tony Joe White and many of the Blues greats.Not too keen with his B.C.C. stuff which can be a bit heavy and Glenn Hughes
does a lot of the vocals,not my cup of tea at all
vasdis

Postby Tokeiihto » 28 Nov 2013, 19:19

vasdis wrote:I must have albums by a different Jo-Bo ,what with all the production line X Factor /Pop Idol garbage ,he is a pleasant refreshing change.Apart from Rory his
influences also lie with Led Zeppelin,Free, Tony Joe White and many of the Blues greats.Not too keen with his B.C.C. stuff which can be a bit heavy and Glenn Hughes
does a lot of the vocals,not my cup of tea at all

Is there anybody at all that likes Glenn Hughes' vocals? I always figured Blackmore and Co. only hired him as bass guitarist/second vocalist for Deep Purple to make David Coverdale look (or rather sound) better in direct comparison. :lol:

In regards to "Jo-Bo", well, we'll have to agree to disagree. There might be far worse musicians populating the airwaves right now, artistically speaking, but that doesn't change the fact that his playing - as technical accomplished as it may be - is mediocre and boring (as Cynthia aptly put it). A Jimmy Page or Paul Kossoff he ain't. That his songwriting skills are average at best doesn't help the matter either.

This might sound harsh, but I'm at a point were I just can't take this kind of bland, polished "shopping center blues" anymore.

Also, I'm one of those folks who thought that Rory's Strat should have been laid to rest with him. Personally, I never understood the "It's a guitar, it should be played" argument. It has been played for over three decades, longer and more frequently than any other famous guitar I can think of. It has done its bit, as far as I'm concerned.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Nov 2013, 19:36

Tokeiihto wrote:Also, I'm one of those folks who thought that Rory's Strat should have been laid to rest with him. Personally, I never understood the "It's a guitar, it should be played" argument. It has been played for over three decades, longer and more frequently than any other famous guitar I can think of. It has done its bit, as far as I'm concerned.

I felt the same way, that the guitar should have been buried with him, in his arms. But then, what would Rory have wanted? And I think the guitar is a comfort for Donal. Plus I could see the potential for, at some future point, some ghoulish creep to disturb Rory's grave to get that guitar :cry:

The bottom line for me would be, what did Rory want for that guitar after he was gone from this world?
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Nov 2013, 21:45

Fast forward to this decade- these lyrics remind me of Rory- a path he should have considered-

Steady As She Goes- The Raconteurs

RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Dec 2013, 12:39

Well he's walking through the clouds
With a circus mind (Tattoo'd Lady)
That's running wild
Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams
And fairly tales

That's all he ever thinks about

Riding the wind

When I'm sad he comes to me