Rory's Booklist?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Rory's Booklist?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Sep 2013, 14:13

RE:

SUBY- A Rory Gallagher Bookclub! Yeah! I can start the thread off with Capo. Rory we can get everyone of your fans reading and especially your books! Cool! Also The Sunday Bookclub I created in London is doing well. Let books rule the world! Yeah baby! Subrata.x

I don't know if this thread should be relocated, leave that up to the mods, but I was thinking of a tentative list of books that Rory might have read- a place to start.

I believe he liked Patricia Highsmith's books- generally, if someone has discovered that they like a particular writer's style, they tend to read through that particular person's work, so here's a list- Novels

Strangers on a Train (1950)
The Price of Salt (as Claire Morgan) (1952), also published as Carol
The Blunderer (1954)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955)
Deep Water (1957)
A Game for the Living (1958)
This Sweet Sickness (1960)
The Cry of the Owl (1962)
The Two Faces of January (1964)
The Glass Cell (1964)
A Suspension of Mercy (1965), also published as The Story-Teller
Those Who Walk Away (1967)
The Tremor of Forgery (1969)
Ripley Under Ground (1970)
A Dog's Ransom (1972)
Ripley's Game (1974)
Edith's Diary (1977)
The Boy Who Followed Ripley (1980)
People Who Knock on the Door (1983)
Found in the Street (1987)
Ripley Under Water (1991)
Small g: a Summer Idyll (1995)

Short-story collections

Eleven (1970; also known as The Snail-Watcher and Other Stories)
Little Tales of Misogyny (1974)
The Animal Lover's Book of Beastly Murder (1975)
Slowly, Slowly in the Wind (1979)
The Black House (1981)
Mermaids on the Golf Course (1985)
Tales of Natural and Unnatural Catastrophes (1987)
Nothing That Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories (2002; posthumously published)
RobertaSparrow

Re: Rory's Booklist?

Postby JimLED » 24 Sep 2013, 15:07

Nice idea Suby and Cynthia!

Also, I wish to see ratings of the best books he read! :-)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Sep 2013, 10:45

Hi Guys & Girls..

Nice one Suby & Cynthia and agreeing with Jim :) ..
The facility is here on the forum don't forget to start a vote poll ;)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Sep 2013, 16:01

Re Rory's taste in books- it's a pretty safe bet he read most, if not all of Patricia Highsmith's work, hence that list, but there are so many others that he liked as well-

I have two on my Kindle- Strangers on a Train, and The Talented Mr. Ripley, and that's as good a place as any to start 8-)

Reading is one of those things people either love or they hate, so this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who do like to read, Patricia Highsmith's books are a good place to start- they're still making films based on her stuff. And reading some of these books is a little like walking through one of Rory's neighborhoods, seeing and hearing the same things as Rory did, I think it could be fun.

But don't be like George Costanza, and watch the movie instead- they are quite different! :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 28 Sep 2013, 22:11

Seeing this list of books is making me go dizzy with excitement! Yeah! Rory you had good book choices. I still have to finish reading 10 books I am reading at the moment and yes you read rightly I AM reading 10 books at the moment!Anyway I will start purchasing Rory's book choice on my Kindle from Monday. This can't be like a proper book club cos not everyone on this board is an avid book reader and usually with a book club we choose a book to read, come back on a certain day and discuss the book. Most folk on this board are busy and have limited time. So the best thing to do is to read a book from Rory's booklist in their own time and give a book review on it. I will start with CAPO soon. Subrata.x

Maybe fans are wondering why have this thread??. By reading Rory's book choices we can get to know him better and know what made him tick. Also when we all see him again one day ( and we will) how lovely it would be to discuss the stuff that he liked with him eh? I think Susie and me already had a lot in common with him before we discovered his music. Also we will be able to understand the meaning of his songs better. :D
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Oct 2013, 15:26

Strangers on a Train-

Strangers on a Train-Almost through the book- usually I'd be done by now, but there's been a lot happening in my corner of the world. It's considerably darker than the movie. I can't say for a fact that Rory read it, but it's one of her most popular books, and he really liked her work, so I would bet he read it, probably more than once. Anyone who wants to be like George Costanza and go right to the movie instead will miss the boat (And that is very likely a movie that Rory saw more than once, too). The book and the movie are as different as the book The Shining was to the movie.

I will report my findings as soon as I've finished the whole book ;) . BTW- either or both is perfect for this season leading up to Halloween :twisted:

Then I will go on to read Kin'gs latest, Dr. Sleep. I have that queued up on the Kindle next. I want to see what Daniel Torrance has been up to since he escaped the Overlook :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Noelle » 05 Oct 2013, 00:20

Funny you should mention George Castanza, Roberta, because I've always thought that Rory would have loved Seinfeld - I think it would have suited his sense of humour.
Noelle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Oct 2013, 09:32

Noelle wrote:Funny you should mention George Castanza, Roberta, because I've always thought that Rory would have loved Seinfeld - I think it would have suited his sense of humour.

:lol: :lol: It's a pretty safe bet if you need a reason to laugh . . . George cheating on his book club- anything to avoid reading Breakfast at Tiffany's-

Strangers on a Train, a very dark tale by Patricia Highsmith, strikingly different from the film noir version in the Hitchcock movie of the same name- The two stories start out with the same premise, you could almost see it in the beginning as a cautionary tale about being careful about what you may tell a stranger, but the book has a much darker outcome. Hitchcock tended to feel that whatever horrendous acts occur in the storyline, in the end the bad guy gets what's coming to him- jail or a worse fate. The novel is much different, the character who in the film ends as sort of the innocent victim who is finally vindicated in reveal scenes, in the novel is driven to the brink of madness, and is himself brought to answer for his own horrible crime.

There is an emphasis on contrasts, the good and evil in each individual, the attraction and repulsion in the interaction of personality types- a common theme in this genre, as in Dr. Jeykyll and Mr. Hyde, the Picture of Dorian Gray, or a more modern crime thriller like Breaking Bad.

In a way it's revealing to think that Rory enjoyed this genre so much- but then, everyone is curious about the dark side of the human psyche. The safest way to experience that dark side of human nature is to do it vicariously, through the pages of a good work of fiction. And for someone as creative as Rory, it would certainly provide material for his active imagination, and in turn influence some of his character-driven lyrics.

And it's an excellent read for a cold, rainy night :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 08 Oct 2013, 22:07

Plot summary of CAPO by Peter Watson. Sorry I am bit tired to write a full review of the book. Subrata

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-86066-011-5

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Capo-Peter-Wa ... 0868270/bd
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 11 Nov 2013, 21:58

I now have the book Strangers On A Train by Patricia Highsmith. Crime Fiction is not my genre but right now it is big in the Literature world. Many of the writing groups invite crime writers for talks. My friend Leigh Russell is a successful crime writer. It is nice to explore the crime fiction genre and to see why Rory loved it so much. The last episode of Poirot has been filmed and i am reading an article on PD James. I have always loved some crime fiction especially Agatha Christie. I do watch Midsummer Night Murders and Inspector Morse. Have watched Murder She Wrote, Miss Marple, for years in the UK. So i am not a stranger to this genre. I am loving Inspector Montalbano at the moment. Simon recommended that to me and he is Italian. It all good stuff. As I work through Rory's booklist I will give my feedback. I have watch Lightening Over Water and will give my views another time because its a tough subject and right now everyone is excited about Kickback City, so I don't want to put a dampener on things. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES