Sad news from Crowley's

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: HELP! Cork shop which sold Rory Gallagher first guitar s

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Aug 2013, 18:25

Well, I can understand how competition with the internet can pose a problem. I have bought guitars, strings, etc on the internet, but probably spent more in actual music stores, although I am not one of those people who are comfortable in social situations.*

Crowleys as I understand it, was having problems competing, and will be focusing its business interests more toward the internet. But as in other things, why do these have to be mutually exclusive? Even if they shift their focus to internet-driven sales, don't they still need to have a physical presence somewhere? Why can't they augment their business with internet sales, even shift the bulk of their sales to online? They can still have their own unique niche in the local community- Still keep their historical storefront- still be there as a musical meeting place for the local community and offer unique services that can only be had in a physical store-

One of the guitar shops in the town where I grew up, The Fret House in Covina- faced tons of competition from others in the Los Angeles area. They expanded their presence, kept their niche as a local music store, provided a place for locals to get music lessons, they focused on certain somewhat unique services- they were one of the only shops in the area who were an authorized Mesa Boogie Amp service center, they also expanded their basement to provide a venue for acoustic guitar concerts and open mic nights.

There are others, like Mckenzie River Music up here in the Willamette Valley- they have a website and a search function so people from other locations can peruse their inventory and buy, but their people can be reached by phone for those who want to talk to a real person about their prospective purchases.

There are many others- large and small music shops that, if they focused merely on the local clientele would be in desperate straits- but they augment their local business with internet sales as well- some have storefront business listings on Amazon.com, or through Ebay, or maintain their own sites geared to that.

Crowleys has its own unique niche- and the fact that they were one of Rory Gallagher's favorite places is a strength to their reputation as well as an important part of Rory legacy.

Why not try to partner up with the music schools in Cork, and the cultural societies in that area, sponsor or even partition out a small venue for local or well-known guitarists to perform, and have a music museum section? Play up their strengths as a part of modern Irish musical culture, and enlist the patronage of the city councils? Doesn't Cork see what a boon to the local economy the Rory Fest has been in the northern part of the country? I would think they would want to claim their role in Rory's fame and reputation.

They can have a virtual "storefront" on sites such as Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk or Ebay- and there are many others.

I mean, their history in rock and blues music it a strength I would think that they would see as having value.

:? RobertaSparrow

* I have a type of high-functioning autism, Aspergers Syndrome, and face-to-face social interaction is very stressful and challenging to me without medication. I have difficulty reading the visual cues, "body language" of people, so I am very comfortable doing things that allow me to avoid crowds or social interaction, such as conducting business on the internet.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Cork shop which sold Rory Gallagher first guitar shuts

Postby The Cuckoo » 15 Aug 2013, 23:57

I have no problems in having face-to-face social interaction, but for taking guitar lessons I prefer solo sessions from a guitar teacher than having guitar sessions with 15 other people in a room. Because I`m so mad in remembering all the chords so fast :(
The Cuckoo

Postby Jimmy » 18 Aug 2013, 01:51

Sad to hear this. I was so lucky to be able to stop in Crowleys ( a must stop in my travels) and get to talk to Mr. Crowley. He was very gracious and kind enough to talk to me for 20 minutes or so , even though i could tell it was a busy day for him. It was great to tell him I traveled thousands of miles just to see Rory's "Stompin ground" and to visit his music shop. I think he asked me 2 or 3 times " you came here just for this?". Of coarse I thanked him for selling Rory that guitar and how much it has effected people/fans all around the world such as myself. Kind regards ,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Aug 2013, 12:50

I am on my lunchbreak at work at the moment so I will be quick. It would be great if fans on Loose Talk or Rory Web etc suggest ideas about how the music centre could develop. Perhaps this will give Sheena Crowley, Cork Council and the Gallagher family more scope and to put a plan together. Sorry about me going on about plans and organising etc. Those who know me know I like to plans things ahead. I will suggest ideas once I visited my local nusic stores and see how they are surviving the recession. I am not a musicians and many Rory fans are or know more about music then I do. So if they suggest ideas on this board then that will be encouraging. Thanks. Rock On For Rory. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Apr 2014, 23:25

I wonder if there is anymore news on Crowleys Music Store? They still have a FB page and I found this interesting article which the Gallagher family and Crowley family together with Cork Council may find useful. Not all musics shops are closing - certainly not in London. They are using the internet to help expand business. For e.g in this article R T Music in Barrow UK is not only selling goods in Cumbria but the world using the help of the internet. Most musicians I know still want to go into a music shop and try out the instruments. At the Wembley Music Centre in Wembley, London, UK they have a room where you can try out the instrument. I really hope something can happen for Crowleys soon. I was devastated when I heard the news of its closure. Subrata. x

http://www.in-cumbria.com/news-archive/ ... -1.1099677

We will check out Crowleys when we go to Cork in 5 weeks time for the Cork Rocks For Rory Festival 2014. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby jenniferj » 22 Apr 2014, 14:24

This news is certainly devastating. Graham and I always went and saw Michael Crowley when we came to Cork, and we were stunned when he died just after our last visit to Ireland for Rory's festival. It's like a big chunk of Rory's history is gone from sight and that's very distressing. I'm sure the decision was not taken lightly.
Jennifer
jenniferj

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Apr 2014, 20:28

"Time slips by like grains of sand"

It is sad to see so many changes, and so many are not necessarily for the better. I had been wanting to go to Ireland to see those places that Rory called home. Crowley's Music Store was one of them. I made the decision to save up and make the plan, it's not easy for someone like me, with my fear of crowds and all. I finally convinced my daughter to come along with me (she loves to travel, but living here in Oregon, she prefers someplace different than here- hot sunny beaches, palm trees, rum drinks with little paper umbrellas in them, etc.) I convinced her by saying, "If you'll come along with me to Cork, I'll buy you a guitar from Crowley's." Her response? "I've always wanted a Telecaster. . . . Okay, sure, let's go." I just figured it into the price of going to see Rory. :D

Sadly, that isn't going to happen. :cry: But we're still going to go, next year, God willin' and the river don't rise . . ;)

:( I've been around long enough to realize nothing in this life is permanent. We'll all carry the torch and try to pass it on, that's about all we can do. Time slips by like grains of sand.

And the goodbye makes the journey harder still . . .

What we create while we're here, the music, the art, the words, are what will last the longest after we're gone.
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Aug 2014, 18:08

Donal Gallagher talks to Hotpress about the Crowleys Music Store. Subrata. x

http://www.hotpress.com/news/The-Day-Ro ... 91644.html
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 03 Aug 2014, 19:43

unwrapped interview that Suby kindly referenced-

Crowley's Music Centre on MacCurtain Street closed its doors last weekend after 87 years. Donal Gallagher, Rory's brother, manager and keeper of the flame, has spoken of his sadness at the shop's closing and recalled the very moment when Rory bought his famous 1961 Fender Strat.

"I was very disappointed to hear the news," says Donal. "I was aware for some time of the difficulties the store was facing. I was hoping that Cork City Council would do something. I was willing to work with them in terms of adding a Rory element to the store but it didn't work out.

"For some time, the city has been looking to open a sort of ‘Rory Gallagher Visitor’s Centre’ and Crowley’s would have been one a few select locations that might have worked. There are alternatives, but principally, it would have been nice to have it on MacCurtain Street."

Donal has vivid memories of the fateful day when Rory finally got his hands on the now infamous Strat.

"The guitar was sitting in the window, it had pride of place there. Rory brought me down and he explained to me that it was similar to Buddy Holly’s guitar – it was his ambition at the time to have a guitar just like Buddy Holly. I think every guitarist wanted one. To me, the contours and the shape of the instrument… it’s a classic shape, similar to something like a spaceship. It wasn’t what I had imagined, we were so used to the round shape of a guitar and electronics were such a new thing. We couldn’t understand how the sound could come from it. It was love at first sight. It was destiny."

Gallagher notes that his brother, amazingly, almost didn't wind up with the guitar at all.

"That Strat was a little star in its own right, one of the first imports into Ireland back then. It had been imported for Jim Conlan, the lead guitarist in the Royal Showband. There’s actually footage of Jim playing Rory’s Strat before it went into Rory’s hands. So it was quite a well-documented guitar.

"Jim wanted to change the colour to match the band’s uniforms, he wanted a salmon-coloured one like Hank Marvin but he traded it in because it used to take between three and six months for a guitar to be imported from America. So the Strat wound up being sold as a second hand instrument for £100.

"Rory prevailed." he continues. "He was playing a Rosetti Solid 7 at the time, worth about £12. He talked Michael Crowley into extending the credit payments – it was hire purchase in those days – and that my mother had signed that original agreement. I was standing there thinking, ‘God, this is going to send us to prison!’.

"My mother came over and he convinced her that if he got the guitar, not only could he play lead guitar but he could play rhythm at the same time and therefore could play in a band that required only one guitarist. He was quite correct and it served him extremely well."
- See more at: http://www.hotpress.com/news/The-Day-Ro ... TxupD.dpuf
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 28 Sep 2014, 20:36

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0571612059.

My computer is playing up and I have to do everything via my touch phone. Not happy. Anyway here some good news. Sheena Crowley has re-opened Crowley's Music Store as Crowley's Music Centre at a different address. Maybe in time the original Crowley Music Store could open as an extension of the new Crowley Music Centre. Good luck Sheena with this venture and Rock on For Rory. Subrata. :mrgreen: Will check it out when I am in Cork next year.x
SUBY1974

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES