RORY GALLAGHER Music & Strat ~ The Love of His Life?

This forum is designed to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

RORY GALLAGHER Music & Strat ~ The Love of His Life?

Postby Jay Jay » 25 Jun 2013, 11:00

Rory Fans, do you believe there was only ever one true love in Rory's life?
Rory's beloved '61 stratocaster? Besides the Gallagher family he loved of course

Rory Kiss Strat.jpg

Rory Kiss Guitar.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: RORY GALLAGHER Music & Strat ~ The Love of His Life?

Postby RoryTopPriority » 25 Jun 2013, 11:26

Rory definitely did get his "Top Priorities" correct in life IMO!
RoryTopPriority

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Jun 2013, 12:59

I truely believe that there was only one great love and true love in Rory's life and it is his beloved STRAT. It is just so beautiful to see them together. Most people feel they need someone to complete them- another human being. I guess we don't want to be lonely. But sometimes the connection we want, we are looking for doesn't always mean being with another. For me personally it was never of this world in the first place and my writing and creativity connects to that divine love I want and which I now have.So yes his beautiful guitar I believe was the only lady in his life and she IS the true love of his life. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby capo » 25 Jun 2013, 17:54

It has been said by some, that the meaning of life is the search for true love. But what if it is one sided and unrequited? If Rory's Strat was his only true love, how can a inanimate object return love? Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but in the end, it was'nt enough for Rory, was it? Donal has said that in the end, all Rory had was his vocation, his music, but he was lonely and despondent, and needed more from life. But who knows for sure if this is what Rory really wanted. Thats why to me, the Strat has bittersweet qualities. It has given us all so much pleasure, but like its worn exterior, it wore Rory out from his single minded devotion to it and his muse. Or I'm just a downer. Anyway, Peace to all.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 25 Jun 2013, 20:49

capo wrote:If Rory's Strat was his only true love, how can a inanimate object return love? Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but in the end, it was'nt enough for Rory, was it? Donal has said that in the end, all Rory had was his vocation, his music
capo wrote: it wore Rory out from his single minded devotion to it and his muse. Or I'm just a downer. Anyway, Peace to all.

Well it seems to me the strat and Rory, are just like any men and women's natural relationship. The woman usually wear the man out in more ways than one anyhow.The man is usually the first to pass on. Then for the woman it is a matter of time before they pass on..
So as you can see by this picture here. The case is not quite closed yet, for the strat to ' Follow Me' ..

Things are gonna be so clear when I'm light years from here, in some other space ;)

rory1.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby SUBY1974 » 25 Jun 2013, 23:17

Absolutely Rory loves his family, friends, fans and I am sure if there was a special lady in his life he would love her too. But the lady would have to accept his music and guitar came first always and Rory knew this would be tricky when it came to having a relationship.Therefore I believe again that his guitar is not only the lady of his life, but the greatest and true love of his life. When one begins their vocation in life, one' will stick with it to the end. Rory did that with his music and I know how powerful a life purpose and path can be - you let nothing interfere with it and will make whatever sacrafices necessary to fulfill it. Rory knew his music was vital and could heal. His music is for fans and the world to enjoy now and that's why it must last forever. That is his legacy and gift to the world. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Jun 2013, 06:02

Hi JayJay,

I agree with you to a point. But . . .

People do grow attached to inanimate objects, but it isn't the same as being able to open up and trust another person, and I think that was something that Rory needed. I believe, though, that in his younger days, perhaps around the days when he was with Taste or thereabouts, that he was in love with a woman. I've already expanded my theories on that, so I'll refrain from boring you with my opinions, but I think he was very wounded by love, real love, around the same time his first band imploded. I think he avoided getting too close to a woman again for years, put his career first, and then, when he was more mature, ready to look to settle, he was hit with that lull in his career combined with the stress of supporting his employees and family, and his deteriorating health problems, and he (IMO) seemed unable or unwilling to delegate some of the burdens of his business life to others. I think he had trust issues.

I think Rory was as emotionally attached to that old Strat, though, as much as anyone can be. He paid a hefty sum for it when he was still a child, and worked long and hard to pay for it. He had occasion to use his body to shelter it when he was in that showband and the crowd got violent and started destroying everything in the room. And when it was taken from him before the Isle of Wight appearance, he mourned its loss, and celebrated when he got it back. So I wouldn't dismiss out of hand his affection for it. I've seen later interviews with him, where he holds it in his arms as tenderly and with as much affection as one would hold a friend. But he knew what it was. It was what he did with it that made it magical.

I can understand a musician's drive to master a musical instrument. I understand, I think, how Rory felt about it.

Rory was a very creative, artistic man. From what I've read about him, and the interviews I've seen and heard, it's obvious he was extremely intelligent. I think, though, (and we're talking opinions here) that we humans are spiritual beings bound for a time to this physical world, for what reason I don't pretend to know, except I think we are here to learn or grow. During our time in this life we are bound to these physical bodies with their frailties and weaknesses, and that is the baggage we have to work with, and lessons to learn. Rory wasn't perfect, he was as human as anyone, as emotionally vulnerable as any other person, with the same physical and emotional needs and desires. But he was very focused on his music, his vocation. And I think he had trust issues. I think the last ten years of his life were spent trying to manage and control these stresses, fears that he didn't understand, he tried to self-medicate, he tried to find help, but didn't know where to look. I think the medications they kept piling on him made him feel confused, and worn down. As the pain and anxiety increased it was harder for him to cope.

I think that somewhere in this world there were women he could have opened up to, and I'm sure there was one he could have trusted and formed a lifelong bond with.

One of the reasons I used to go see Rory play was to watch him master his guitar- to meld with the music in a way like no one else. But there was more to it than that, I was plagued by severe depression in my teens and twenties, but when I saw Rory play, his pure joy, his infectious happiness cut through my depression like nothing else. I loved watching him play, feeling the happiness flow out of him and into the audience. I don't to this day know how he did it, but he was almost ecstatic when he played, and he radiated that out of his body from the minute he picked up his guitar. I could feel his emotions- and I think the rest of the audience did, too. That's why to this day we who saw him play remember him with such passion.

To see him in later years, his last ten years, emotionally beaten down and especially toward the end, in obvious pain, that is difficult to watch. His eyes and his smile are the same, and throughout his later performances that same joy still came through when the music was flowing through him, but the sadness and uncertainty that was there, well, it makes me wish there was some way to reach out to him.

I think there were women who would have been good for Rory, maybe could have shouldered some of the burden from him, lightened his load a little. I disagree with Suby, though (no offense, Suby), I don't think his love of his music and the love of a woman would have been mutually exclusive. The music lived in Rory (still does, he isn't really dead, he still lives- his spirit, his soul is still very much alive) and I think that anyone he would have formed a lifelong bond with would not have had a problem with Rory or his guitars, if that person truley loved him, they would of course love his music- including the instruments he used to make that music- because it was a very important part of him. And Rory wasn't a fool, as much as he was able to love his guitars, especially The Strat, he knew it was still an inanimate object, not something that could really talk to him when he needed reassurance, or comfort him when he was lonely, or touch him when he needed to feel someone's touch.

The Strat is very special. But it is because it was Rory's guitar, and was with him his whole life. His hands, his blood and sweat shaped and formed that guitar. Without that it would be no more special than my daughter's red Strat, or any one of a thousand others sitting unused in music stores. But I think the love of a woman, one who would have forsaken all others and been there for him, would have helped him weather the rough times, and I think maybe he would still be here making music, in this world. And I think perhaps The Strat would have had a couple more decades of wear from Rory's sweet, strong hands, then when his time here was done, he would have handed it down to his children.

That's what I think-

:D Cynthia

PS- A show of hands here- How many of the people on this very forum would have been more than happy to try to be that person for Rory, if fate had allowed- Strat and all?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Jun 2013, 10:31

RobertaSparrow wrote:I think there were women who would have been good for Rory, maybe could have shouldered some of the burden from him, lightened his load a little. I disagree with Suby, though (no offense, Suby), I don't think his love of his music and the love of a woman would have been mutually exclusive. The music lived in Rory (still does, he isn't really dead, he still lives- his spirit, his soul is still very much alive) and I think that anyone he would have formed a lifelong bond with would not have had a problem with Rory or his guitars, if that person truley loved him, they would of course love his music- including the instruments he used to make that music- because it was a very important part of him. And Rory wasn't a fool, as much as he was able to love his guitars, especially The Strat, he knew it was still an inanimate object, not something that could really talk to him when he needed reassurance, or comfort him when he was lonely, or touch him when he needed to feel someone's touch.

The Strat is very special. But it is because it was Rory's guitar, and was with him his whole life. His hands, his blood and sweat shaped and formed that guitar. Without that it would be no more special than my daughter's red Strat, or any one of a thousand others sitting unused in music stores. But I think the love of a woman, one who would have forsaken all others and been there for him, would have helped him weather the rough times, and I think maybe he would still be here making music, in this world. And I think perhaps The Strat would have had a couple more decades of wear from Rory's sweet, strong hands, then when his time here was done, he would have handed it down to his children.

Hi Cynthia,
I could go down th line / road and say there were woman in Rory's life. They can't be worth mentioning though, if they had relationships with Rory and hurt his heart / health badly. No the only one loving / loyal and devoted woman throughout Rory's entire life was of course, his mother Monica. It would have took a devoted and great woman I believe, to have been the true loving woman Rory really needed in life IMHO.

Hi Capo,
This word inanimate, to be honest I did not know the meaning at first. Now I know the definition, I disagree with you, saying that 'Rory's strat' is not at all this. Many strats are maybe as Cynthia says. A strat though is not made of mostly metal though as a car say. With Rory's especially, as he said himself. The more paint / varnish off it, made it breathe and sound better. After all wood is a living thing. They did become as one through the years more and more. With Rory's blood sweat and tears, maybe even energizing the strat in a way back from a dormant wood, to more like a living wood. like on a tree.

Whatever, as we Rory fans have definitely witnessed about their relationship together..
William Rory Gallagher and his beloved 1961 Fender Sunburst Stratocaster..
involved and lived together in perfect harmony :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby keltic wolf » 26 Jun 2013, 23:38

The more paint / varnish off it, made it breathe and sound better. After all wood is a living thing. They did become as one through the years more and more. With Rory's blood sweat and tears, maybe even energizing the strat in a way back from a dormant wood, to more like a living wood. like on a tree.

Wow Jay man that is so beautiful and poetic and true
Here I am...where are you?
keltic wolf

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jun 2013, 01:18

Jay Jay wrote:
capo wrote:If Rory's Strat was his only true love, how can a inanimate object return love? Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but in the end, it was'nt enough for Rory, was it? Donal has said that in the end, all Rory had was his vocation, his music
capo wrote: it wore Rory out from his single minded devotion to it and his muse. Or I'm just a downer. Anyway, Peace to all.

Well it seems to me the strat and Rory, are just like any men and women's natural relationship. The woman usually wear the man out in more ways than one anyhow.The man is usually the first to pass on. Then for the woman it is a matter of time before they pass on..
:shock:
Umm, . . . well, I think men and women have throughout the ages seen their relationships a little differently. I don't see it as necessarily normal, natural, or healthy that in a relationship between a man and a woman, that the woman will normally wear the man out, then outlive him. Sort of like a vampire or a black widow spider.
8-)
From a different perspective, a relationship with a man can be very stressful for a woman. Particularly if the man is a famous musician who is constantly on the road and constantly pursued by very attractive and aggressive women. A woman would need to have nerves of steel and an almost inhuman reserve of trust and faith in a man to sit at home and not think of what could be or may be going on out there wherever he is. And it is a very rare man indeed who can ignore and resist such temptations especially so far away from home.

But we're talking about Rory here, and the life of a traveling musician is what he chose, and it was a lifestyle he loved. So, accepting that for anyone involved with him would have been a given.

----------------
I could go down th line / road and say there were woman in Rory's life. They can't be worth mentioning though, if they had relationships with Rory and hurt his heart / health badly. No the only one loving / loyal and devoted woman throughout Rory's entire life was of course, his mother Monica. It would have took a devoted and great woman I believe, to have been the true loving woman Rory really needed in life IMHO.

I agree with you there. There were undoubtedly women in his life, but to have treated such a good man so badly, they aren't worth mentioning. As far as his mother is concerned, the way she loved and raised him made him the good, strong, decent man he was, and no doubt she taught him how to treat other people, to be respectful of others, to be compassionate and kind.

But as far as The Strat, I see it more as a part of him, not a separate entity, but an extension of him, of his creativity, of his passion. He used it to express, to channel the creative energy that he could barely contain. Yes, it was like a living thing, but it was Rory's life energy that made it what it became.

The irony is, I see it as an extension of Rory's physical life here, because of all the years it spent with him, because he wore it out the way he did. So, even though I understand why his family allows it to be played by others occasionally, it is not something I'm really comfortable with, because it is still Rory's guitar. If it was really the love of his life, I guess that would make sense. But when I see someone else playing it, a part of me feels like saying, "keep your hands off Rory's guitar." And that's crazy, because logically it's just a guitar. But we all know it's more than that.

Yet for those who feel it was the love of his life, it makes more sense that it not be handed over to others to play with. So I don't know what to make of that.

We make sense of the world by our experiences. A few years back my uncle died. He used to live next door to us. When he fell ill, I promised him I would take care of his cats. He had 2 cats that were everything to him. When he'd take his truck into town to run errands these cats would wait for him, and when he came home in the evening as soon as they heard his pickup truck they'd both run out to the driveway, tails in the air, waiting to greet him. His pickup truck had a distinctive whine it would make when you downshifted to turn into the drive. Well, after he died I kept my word. I took care of the cats. The cats had been despondent since he died, they hardly left the house. Animals mourn, just like people, and they missed my uncle. A few weeks after he passed I took the truck into town to get supplies. When I came home, I downshifted to make the turn into his driveway. I didn't even think about it. The cats must have heard the truck's transmission make that distinctive whine, because I saw them both run out of the house, with their tails both straight up in the air. As I pulled up into his parking space and shut down the engine I saw them standing there staring, and when I got out of the car I saw their little faces drop- I swear, I saw the disappointment in their faces, and they turned and walked away. I felt like crap. They heard the truck, they thought it was my uncle. But it was only me, driving his truck.

Rory's Strat is special. Because it was Rory's. His passion, his love, made it into what it is now. It was part of him, a very important part, but it did not complete him. Maybe he didn't need more. But if finding someone would have eased his burden toward the end, and he would have been happier, that would have been best. But it didn't happen. The Strat was his beloved guitar. It was a part of him, it did not complete him.

;) Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY'S "Loose Talk" with Tasteful Topics & Rockin' Blues Tunes