It's June 14th again ~ Rory's Anniversary

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: It's June 14th again ~ Rory's Anniversary

Postby bronyr » 18 Jun 2016, 12:17

ailish78 wrote:When I was thinking about Rory on this day, I thought about sonnet 74 by Shakespeare:

But be contented when that fell arrest
Without all bail shall carry me away;
My life hath in this line some interest,
Which for memorial still with thee shall stay.
When thou reviewest this, thou dost review
The very part was consecrate to thee.
The earth can have but earth, which is his due;
My spirit is thine, the better part of me.
So then thou hast but lost the dregs of life,
The prey of worms, my body being dead,
The coward conquest of a wretch’s knife,
Too base of thee to be rememb’red.
  The worth of that is that which it contains,
  And that is this, and this with thee remains.

I found a modern translation of it on the No Fear Shakespeare website.

Here it is:

(Continuing from Sonnet 73) But don’t be upset when death arrives to carry me off where no one can release me. My life will continue to some extent in these lines, which you’ll always have to remember me by. When you reread this, you’ll be seeing again the precise part of me that was dedicated to you. The earth can only have the earthly part of me, which is what belongs to it. My spirit, the better part of me, is yours. So when I’m dead you’ll have only my body—the dregs of my life, the part that worms eat, the only part of me that cowardly, wretched death could kill, the part that’s too worthless for you to remember. What gives my body its worth is the spirit it contains, and that spirit is this poem, and this poem will remain with you.

This of course is referring to Shakespeare himself, but if you replace the reference to 'verse' with that of 'music', it can certainly be used for Rory. His music keeps his spirit alive, so we should not mourn him any longer. We should celebrate the music that he left behind for us as a token of his love and appreciation for all of his fans.

I will be in Cork on Thursday and I am certainly going to visit his graveside. I'm sure it will be quite emotional for me. It will be my first time visiting Cork.

"My spirit, the better part of me, is yours. So when I’m dead you’ll have only my body—the dregs of my life, the part that worms eat, the only part of me that cowardly, wretched death could kill, the part that’s too worthless for you to remember. What gives my body its worth is the spirit it contains, and that spirit is this poem, and this poem will remain with you." --- Love this, Liz. Thank you for sharing/
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 18 Jun 2016, 12:19

CiaSeattle wrote:
Holy Ghost Orchid.jpg

"Death is not the end. Death can never be the end.

Death is the road. Life is the traveller. The soul is the guide."

– Sri Chinmoy

Rory's spirit goes on forever, in his music and the hearts of those who love him.

Wow, beautiful.
bronyr

Re: It's almost June 14th again..

Postby bronyr » 18 Jun 2016, 12:22

RobertaSparrow wrote:Dwana,

That's a beautiful tribute to Rory. I wish I could be as eloquent.

I think this time weighs heavily on most of us who keep his memory close. I was working on my house, and listening to my iPod- it has a huge library of music on it from several friends' collections, and I always have it on shuffle, so anything could come up at any time. I was thinking of Rory, and his last days in this life, and not feeling so good. A song came on the iPod- no, it wasn't one of Rory's, it was a song by Lyle Lovett, a rather eccentric guitarist, lyricist, artist whom I suspect Rory might have been familiar with, a song that was released in 1992 from an album called Joshua Judges Ruth. I was thinking of Rory, and how hard his death was, and that's when this song came on:

I went to a funeral, Lord it made me happy, Seeing all those people That I ain't seen Since the last time Somebody died;
Everybody talking, They were telling funny stories, Saying all those things That they ain't said Since the last time Somebody died;
But you take a look around you, Don't it seem like somethings missing, I said something that weren't missing Lord the last time Somebody died;
You took him from the last time, To that hallowed ground, I'm praying take me to the next time Lord So I can hang around;
Then the people start to looking, And some of them start crying, And all the little children Lord they're scared, Because they ain't never seen A dead man before;

He's swimming through that Jordan, Going to the other side, But if it's all the same to You Lord I think I'll stay dry, Oh, I think I'll stay dry
Now it's a church on Sunday, It's a bar on Friday night, It's a work on Monday, The preacher Lord you know he might

Sing hallelujah, hallelujah Sing hallelujah, hallelujah Sing hallelujah, hallelujah Sing hallelujah, hallelujah

He's got church on Sunday, And he got drunk the night before, And he got his good gal when he got home, The preacher said he wants some more of that;

Now if you want to get to Heaven, Let me tell you what to do, You better grease your foot up buddy, With that old mutton stew;
And when the Devil comes after you, With them greasy hands, You just slide on over to The Promised Land;

Thank you, you've been so nice, All my friends they came, Now close the lid down tightly, And quit crying;
Because when they close them, They all look the same, And grab hold of the handle, It won't be too heavy, And take me to the graveyard.

I went to a funeral, And Lord it made me happy, Seeing all those people I ain't seen. Since the last time Somebody Died

I hadn't heard that song in quite a while, and when it got to the last verse I just lost it. I felt like laughing and crying at the same time, because the words hit me that way, and the thought occurred that maybe it was Rory, and it was his way of saying we needn't mourn for him because he is happy, he is free, he is still around.

I read an interview recently where Rory was quoted as saying: "I really didn't want my epitaph to be 'Oh Rory was great; he played exactly liked BB King', or whatever . . . "

I would never say that. I would say that Rory was an amazingly talented artist, a brilliant unique musician, a beautiful gentle man, and he played like no one else. And that we'll never forget him.

So I'll think of him, and try not to cry, 'cause I don't think he wants us to mourn him, but I will offer up a prayer for him.

God Bless You Rory, we love you and we won't forget.

Wonderful, Cynthia. Thank you!
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 18 Jun 2016, 12:23

SUBY1974 wrote:The Strat

I stand on the Cliffs of Mohar,
Green emerald isle of the sea,
Hearing the ocean crash,
Beautiful notes on a Fend Strat.

She appears in my arms,
His face in the sky,
Celtic long darked haired prince,
Of rock royal blood,
Watching with warm blue eyes.

I hold her close,
I smell her polished wood,
Feel the stripped paint bear of sweat,blood and toil,
Carved out of hands of a great man.

I kiss her rosewood neck,
Touch the worn out strings,
She vanishes from my arms,
And rests in yours.

As I close my eyes
Visions of you playing,
Burning across the sky,
Heaven opens ,I see your smile.

She is home where she belongs,
Home to the one she loves,
Rory,Rory we chant,
Play, play, and play,
Sweet blues, sweet music from our Irish prince.

Subrata Saha ( copyright June 2016)

bronyr

Postby bronyr » 18 Jun 2016, 12:24

SUBY1974 wrote:The Strat

I stand on the Cliffs of Mohar,
Green emerald isle of the sea,
Hearing the ocean crash,
Beautiful notes on a Fend Strat.

She appears in my arms,
His face in the sky,
Celtic long darked haired prince,
Of rock royal blood,
Watching with warm blue eyes.

I hold her close,
I smell her polished wood,
Feel the stripped paint bear of sweat,blood and toil,
Carved out of hands of a great man.

I kiss her rosewood neck,
Touch the worn out strings,
She vanishes from my arms,
And rests in yours.

As I close my eyes
Visions of you playing,
Burning across the sky,
Heaven opens ,I see your smile.

She is home where she belongs,
Home to the one she loves,
Rory,Rory we chant,
Play, play, and play,
Sweet blues, sweet music from our Irish prince.

Subrata Saha ( copyright June 2016)

Suby that's an beautiful poem, thank you!
bronyr

Postby ailish78 » 20 Jun 2016, 21:31

Irishcelticgirl wrote: 

Think of this poem by Mary Frye, when you are at St Oliver's, Ailish.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep. 
I am a thousand winds that blow. 
I am the diamond glint on snow. 
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain. 
When you wake in the morning hush, 
I am the swift, uplifting rush 
Of quiet birds in circling flight. 
I am the soft starlight at night. 
Do not stand at my grave and weep. 
I am not there, I do not sleep. 
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die

I`m just seeing this now Irishcelticgirl. This is a beautiful poem about the spirit living on in nature.
ailish78

Postby Dwana Horner » 13 Jun 2017, 05:11

RORY- THE FIRE AND THE LIGHT

He was electric on stage
As "Lightning" dancing on "air"
He had a smile like a
"Solar flair"

"The Fire and the Light'
Who lit up the night"

He stepped on stage as an
"Irish Gladiator"
swinging his guitar
left and right
Music was his "Communicator"

"The fire and the light
Who lit up the night".

From the first note to the last
He gave us his best
"Follow Me" to
"Laundromat
"
To those who knew the name:
Rory Gallagher..
He was the best

"The Fire and the Light
He lit up the Night.
Dwana Horner

Postby Jay Jay » 14 Jun 2017, 08:46

Rory passed away on this day 22 years ago R.I.P. He will never be forgotten. His legacy is secure for all time.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby vasdis » 14 Jun 2017, 09:36

Will be having some Rory on later,my brother in law and i usually have a quiet minute on this day .As you say the legacy lives on .Although i have had the Irish Tour '74
boxset a while i am really enjoying the 2 versions of In Your Town,very uplifting so i will probably have those on.
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jun 2017, 17:22

Night before last I had a dream. I was traveling to a festival, a lot of us were. Traveling through different hubs of travel, a train station, an airport or something similar, and different roads, and I saw people that I recognized somehow. Most of you I've never met, but I knew the souls along the way, people I've chatted with on this site, on the other Rory sites, people I've met IRL, and old friends, long gone with whom I used to accompany to those concerts back in the day. All along these different points, convergences of people, it was different members of this huge Rory family of fans, and there was that electricity in the air, that feeling that would pervade the atmosphere around the queues leading to a Rory event. We weren't going to a tribute festival though. Not going to see musician-fans playing Rory's music. We were going to see Rory himself, he was going to be playing. We were going to see Rory Gallagher play that night.

It was an odd dream, seemed so real. The air was charged with that excitement that would be present in the crowd as we waited for our Rory to step out on stage. Rory was going to play for us. I woke up before we all arrived at the gig.

Don't know what it means, but it was a happy dream.

I'm going to watch the Isle of Wight film again and say a little prayer.

PS

I got to meet John Wilson at Ballyshannon. Such a sweet gentleman, one of those memories to treasure.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES