Where Rory lived between concerts

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Where Rory lived between concerts

Postby SUBY1974 » 10 Dec 2012, 22:42

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:
JimLED wrote:Image

Reel2reel tape recorder at his house is Revox A77 mk III ( if someone else interested yet ;) )

Spoiler: SHOW

70 decor. Hmmmm. I recognize the kind of chair Rory is sitting cos in the 70s when i lived at 137 Sunderland Avenue Maida Vale London between 1974 - 1979 we had one almost similar to it. I use sit on it as a 4 year old with my teddy! Sometimes I do forget I was around in the mid to late 70s even though I was the size of a hobbit ( i must see the film that has just come out). Its seems like another era to me! :D As for 70 decor - not to my taste! Flowery curtains and tangerine sofas a no no. :lol:

Hi Suby,
He looks pretty content there. Above and to the left of the reel to reel you can see one of his framed gold records. It doesn't look all that '70's to me. I like the rug, and Rory always looks good. Other than the color scheme there's not much to go on. In Los Angeles in the 70's I remember mostly ugly avacado green and goldenrod yellow-orange were the decorator colors in houses. At least '60s decor had personality. But I think Rory's house looks very pleasant, it's a shame it has fallen into disrepair.

His mums house is pretty and it was very sweet of Rory to have bought it for her. Actually it is a pleasant house with the furnishings etc and yes I spied the gold disc on the wall ;) . However i do find 70 decor not to my taste. I have patchy memories of it as a child. I guess I love Feng Shui alot and how furniture is places according to the laws of Feng Shui and I guess I like the way IKEA ( a UK furniture) store set up home furnishings. I like a lot of light in a home. I have a thing for light. :)
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Jan 2015, 11:55

loulamb wrote:
Sinner Girl wrote:Image

Thats brilliant! :lol:

:geek: :geek: Stand Up Straight you two! :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 18 Jan 2015, 12:26

The house in Ballinlough was sold to developers who demolished it with the intention of building 3 or 4 properties on the plot (which were advertised for sale off plan) Unfortunately this did not happen, the Irish property market suffered a substantial decline, and as far as I am aware, not having been past there for a while, the plot lies untouched albeit with a new stone wall built along the road boundary. The house in question is where Rory was photographed sitting on the sun lounger in the garden.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Jan 2015, 12:58

Irishcelticgirl wrote:The house in Ballinlough was sold to developers who demolished it with the intention of building 3 or 4 properties on the plot (which were advertised for sale off plan) Unfortunately this did not happen, the Irish property market suffered a substantial decline, and as far as I am aware, not having been past there for a while, the plot lies untouched albeit with a new stone wall built along the road boundary. The house in question is where Rory was photographed sitting on the sun lounger in the garden.

Here are some if onlys- If only the house was still standing, if only I was rich, if only I had the opportunity, I'd buy it and restore it, and make it into a Rory museum of sorts. If only . . .
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 18 Jan 2015, 15:48

Suby, I K E A is originally Swedish!!!!! 8-)
AnnaMaria

Postby SUBY1974 » 21 Jan 2015, 14:35

AnnaMaria wrote:Suby, I K E A is originally Swedish!!!!! 8-)

Yes a clever 17year old started the company in Sweden in 1943 and IKEA is named after his village. I do love their furniture etc but I hope they use sustainable wood. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 24 Jan 2015, 22:38

Irishcelticgirl wrote:The house in Ballinlough was sold to developers who demolished it with the intention of building 3 or 4 properties on the plot (which were advertised for sale off plan) Unfortunately this did not happen, the Irish property market suffered a substantial decline, and as far as I am aware, not having been past there for a while, the plot lies untouched albeit with a new stone wall built along the road boundary. The house in question is where Rory was photographed sitting on the sun lounger in the garden.

That's interesting...when I was in Ireland my landlord knew Rory's first manager...he told me Rory lived on Douglas Road...and that they still own the house (I always assumed that was the location of the sun lounger photo). Ballinlough is far north of Cork and not anywhere near the sea, so it wouldn't have been Rory's Cork house nor his beach house. Are you sure about that location? Did you mean Ballincollig perhaps? That's near to where Rory's grave lies, I believe.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Jan 2015, 08:24

Annie Elliott wrote: . . . Did you mean Ballincollig perhaps? That's near to where Rory's grave lies, I believe. . .

Ballincollig is where the cemetery, St. Oliver's, is located, where Rory's body is laid to rest, it outside of Cork somewhat. I don't know where that pretty house, where Rory is sitting with the house in the background, is situated, but it is likely nearer to the sea than Ballincollig. But I admit, I am guessing.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREkRJGOC1k[/youtube]

Here is a wiki article about Ballinlough not the independent town of, north of Cork, but the Cork suburb, which I think is what everyone is referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballinlough,_Cork

and the town with the same name, far (comparatively) to the north of (and no, I don't mean Northern Ireland, I mean north as a direction, not Northern as a political delineation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballinloug ... _Roscommon

Hmmm, am I arguing with myself again?? Annie, what do you think?
RobertaSparrow

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 25 Jan 2015, 11:43

Ballinlough/Douglas (Well Road) is where Rory was pictured sitting in the garden. It backs onto the estuary and is a very pleasant suburb of Cork. The house featured in IT74 was 11 Sidney Park, Cork. It was fairly recently sold after being on the market for quite some while, possibly due the property market which took a hit after the euro crisis. Roscommon is in the Republic of Ireland and not in the north. St Oliver's Cemetery is indeed in Ballincollig and close to Carrigrohane (approx 4 miles west of Cork city). Hope that helps clarify things. It's all the 'Ballys' and 'Ballins' that cause confusion.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby JimLED » 25 Jan 2015, 14:47

RobertaSparrow wrote:Image

Reel2reel tape recorder we know. This is a legend - Revox A77 mk III. And finally, I got the name of reciever!

:D
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM