Rory`s last concert

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Rory`s last concert

Postby folkdeejay » 18 Oct 2012, 21:48

Jay Jay wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:Would this have have been the last official photo of Rory?x

Hi Suby,

The photo is one I believe from our dutch friend Wim's collection? I had a couple another one similar to this, but I deleted it recently from my files. As Rory's eyes looked so sad and he looked in so much pain :(
Shouldn't think there were many if any more photo's took of Rory after this?

Slainte, Jay Jay

Hi Jay Jay - I see your reasoning - however, perhaps images of artists like Rory - even images that show sad/unhappy times - are important historically, or could become so, and deleting them is not perhaps the best action. For example, if Donal ever publishes a thorough biography, I am sure he would want a choice from as many images as possible - I know that at all Rory gigs I went to, I never saw press or 'official' photographers .... his Uk gigs were before the days of the barriers/press passes even in smaller venues.
folkdeejay

Postby Flamenca » 18 Oct 2012, 21:55

Not so for the London venues such as the Town and Country Club, Mean Fiddler and the Borderline ... where guest lists and press passes were the norm even in the 1980's ...
Flamenca

Postby folkdeejay » 18 Oct 2012, 22:29

Flamenca wrote:Not so for the London venues such as the Town and Country Club, Mean Fiddler and the Borderline ... where guest lists and press passes were the norm even in the 1980's ...

Yes - guest list & passes don't get you to the front though... I meant the steel barriers and security guarded press pits that were never seen in the Academy type venues until fairly recently ...
folkdeejay

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Oct 2012, 13:55

folkdeejay wrote:Hi Jay Jay - I see your reasoning - however, perhaps images of artists like Rory - even images that show sad/unhappy times - are important historically, or could become so, and deleting them is not perhaps the best action. For example, if Donal ever publishes a thorough biography, I am sure he would want a choice from as many images as possible - I know that at all Rory gigs I went to, I never saw press or 'official' photographers .... his Uk gigs were before the days of the barriers/press passes even in smaller venues.

Hi David, I found another copy of this photo in question in my files on my other laptop..

It is so painful & sad to see..
Just ten / eleven years previously this was Rory performing at the Ulster Hall Belfast 1984 ..

Then sadly at this last gig in Rotterdam January 1995..
1/10/1995 Rotterdam NL Nighttown Rory collapses onstage :cry:

Rory's Last Gig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Oct 2012, 20:06

Jay Jay wrote:
folkdeejay wrote:Hi Jay Jay - I see your reasoning - however, perhaps images of artists like Rory - even images that show sad/unhappy times - are important historically, or could become so, and deleting them is not perhaps the best action. For example, if Donal ever publishes a thorough biography, I am sure he would want a choice from as many images as possible - I know that at all Rory gigs I went to, I never saw press or 'official' photographers .... his Uk gigs were before the days of the barriers/press passes even in smaller venues.

Hi David, I found another copy of this photo in question in my files on my other laptop..

It is so painful & sad to see..
Just ten / eleven years previously this was Rory performing at the Ulster Hall Belfast 1984 ..

Then sadly at this last gig in Rotterdam January 1995..
1/10/1995 Rotterdam NL Nighttown Rory collapses onstage :cry:

Rory's Last Gig.jpg

Rory looks damn good in that clip from '84, healthy and vibrant, gorgeous and way more talented in his art than a mere mortal ought to be, but even there you can see the traces of sadness, self-doubt in his eyes. That last photo, January '95, it's impossible to ignore that he was in pain, yet forcing his exhausted body to keep performing, because that what he loved to do more than anything. It's my understanding that Mark was the one first to his side when Rory collapsed. In those later clips you can see the concern on Mark's face as Rory's health declined. Thank God his closest friends and family were with him in his worst times.

I saw the link someone posted that apparently has the audio of his last concert, I clicked on it and for a price it can be heard. How can it be that Rory's last performance is being offered for a price? Doesn't Rory's estate have a right to control those files?
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 22 Oct 2012, 20:29

The photo is so very sad. Not many musicians would go on being so unwell.

I have never really seen my Dad cry before, but there were tears in his eyes after we watched the Rory Rockpalast 1990 on sky arts, it was a shock for him to see him unwell even though he played beautifully and it was a great concert, also because was sorely missed.

They have got the recording? I suppose its hard to keep control over which files are posted on the internet, many musicians have their tracks downloaded illegally and have no control over it. To me hearing Rory's last concert be almost like hearing his final breath, not sure i could listen to it.......
loulamb

Postby Smokingjoe » 29 Nov 2015, 13:06

He make finisht the concert in to nighttown however i'ts very sad to see him like missing every note..
Most people in the room smasht with beer to him.

I dont want the remember, and i wish i have never seen that concert.

But the most moments that i have seen Rory playing is outrageous and excellent..

The setlist of nighttown:
The last concert was in Rotterdam in "Nighttown" 10th of January 1995.
Set list :
The Continental Op
Moonchild
I Wonder Who
The Loop
Tattoo'd Lady
I Could Have Had Religion
Ghost Blues
Out On Thw Western Plain
Walkin' Blues
A Million Miles Away
Shadow Play
Don't Start Me Talking
Messing With The Kid
La Bamba
Smokingjoe

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Dec 2015, 22:35

Smokingjoe wrote:He make finisht the concert in to nighttown however i'ts very sad to see him like missing every note..
Most people in the room smasht with beer to him.
I dont want the remember, and i wish i have never seen that concert.

But the most moments that i have seen Rory playing is outrageous and excellent..

Hi SmokingJoe and a very warm welcome to RORY'S Family forum.

It probably was not easy to do.. but thanks for telling us about this very sad and unfortunate time in Rory's career :cry:
Let's just be grateful that you and I saw Rory at his most magnificent best. Plus that we have many hours now to enjoy on film..
Like the one I'm watching again now of Taste with Rory at his most beautiful and awesome best :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. SmokingJoe.. maybe you can tell us a concert gig you saw Rory play in better times?
Jay Jay

Postby CiaSeattle » 02 Dec 2015, 18:19

While it is painful to see Rory in this condition, it is part of his life and shows how much he gave of himself for his music and his fans. His music pulls you in, and his story breaks your heart.
CiaSeattle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Dec 2015, 22:10

CiaSeattle wrote:While it is painful to see Rory in this condition, it is part of his life and shows how much he gave of himself for his music and his fans. His music pulls you in, and his story breaks your heart.

And remember he was doing what he loved most in life- playing his music before a live crowd. He literally lived for that. Yes, he was ill, but that does not take away from who and what he was. Life is fragile, and none of us are here for long. It is the human condition, he was a beautiful person, he was ill in his later performances, but he was the same man that he always was. I enjoy his music, his art, even though I can see, and can be touched, by the pain and sadness in these later performances. That does not devalue them for me.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM