RORY GALLAGHER ~ School Of Music / Music Studios Cork

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ School Of Music (Proposed)

Postby B-Girl » 18 Apr 2012, 18:03

I support this idea.
Ireland miss such a school to teach young musicians in the spirit of the G-Man....and the other irish music gods who are gone, too.
:idea:
B-Girl

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Apr 2012, 21:02

Thanks B-Girl

I Wonder Who .. we could get as sponsors? Maybe Donal could persuade Fender ..
After all the guitars Rory bought & sold.. with the Fender Rory Gallagher Custom shop stratocaster.
Plus hundreds maybe thousands that took up the guitar because of Rory. I'm one who have two Fender's and I'm not even a guitarist lol
Jay Jay

Postby maapji » 19 Apr 2012, 12:56

Jay Jay wrote:I'm one who have two Fender's and I'm not even a guitarist lol

Then it's about time that you become a guitarist...it's never too late! :D
maapji

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2012, 13:21

maapji wrote:
Jay Jay wrote:I'm one who have two Fender's and I'm not even a guitarist lol

Then it's about time that you become a guitarist...it's never too late! :D

Maapji, I'm a drummer / percussionist ;)

011.jpg
My chosen instrument is at the rear of pic above ;)
I'm a bit like Mick Fleetwood on my Fender stratocaster guitar's. We can play a few chords and rhythm in open tuning mainly and that's about it.

But I would never called myself a guitarist :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby tonetanner » 19 Apr 2012, 16:12

Its a great idea.
Where might this venue be? For purely selfish reasons (I've got four kids under 11...) I would suggest the midlands!
I'd love to do guitar workshops - I've got enough guitars now for a start.
Equally, I'd love to be offered gigs where people want to come and hear rory's music (and see me even!).
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby Jay Jay » 19 Apr 2012, 17:32

tonetanner wrote:Its a great idea.
Where might this venue be? For purely selfish reasons (I've got four kids under 11...) I would suggest the midlands!
I'd love to do guitar workshops - I've got enough guitars now for a start.
Equally, I'd love to be offered gigs where people want to come and hear rory's music (and see me even!).
TT

Actually TT,
my thinking is initially for the venue for The Rory Gallagher School of Music. To be located more centrally in the UK. One for easier access for all teachers / musicians and folk to get too. Plus also property / rent is much much cheaper than say London.
Jay Jay

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Apr 2012, 19:11

I really like this idea. I wasn't too happy about Rory gear being sold off but then I would love to own one of Rory's guitar myself if I am honest. However it would be nice to have such a School for Music, because believe me I know a lot of young guitarists would love to attend. I meet them at the jobcentre where I work everyday. I would go myself as I am learning the Spanish Acoustic as well. I have said this before that if I had known about Rory in the 90's and if he ran a guitar workshop I would have attended, so would have Susie. Yeah we would be happy to be shareholders to make this dream a reality. I am sure Rory would love to see his guitars in use and yeah lets have a museum of his guitars in the same place. I do understand that storing the guitars does cost a lot of money. Those who do end up buying Rory's other guitars I hope they will use them well. Its quite strange cos this viewing before the sale is happening tomorrow and on that day in London I am boarding a coach for Edinburgh! I guess I am not meant to be there. Anyway i think Rory would love a school of music dedicated to him. Its a wonderful way for fans to keep his music alive and pass it on to people and the next generation. I mean he was also involved in that Registry of Electric Guitar Tutors or something. He is a patron of it. Yeah its a great idea. I am all for it!! Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby no_noise_reduction » 20 Apr 2012, 17:08

as much as there might be need for such an institution, I don't believe it can be implemented. there are many aspects that would have to be considered but I guess that the funding alone will render the whole idea impossible: I don't believe that the results of the guitar/gear sale will end up nowhere near what would be required for financing of the facilities, teachers, administration, or scholarships. I know that if you take into consideration what has been offered and paid for guitars of Clapton, Hendrix' and the likes in the past (virtually millions) you could be tempted to be more optimistic, but I believe there is not that same kind of market for Rory memorabilia at the moment - though I surely believe that will change in the course of ten or twenty years (because as we all witness Rory appears to grow a stronger reputation and fame at the moment), I don't think the items on sale will be enough for a 'Rory School of Music'. By the way, there's been another Hendrix guitar on ebay last week (http://www.ebay.de/itm/jimi-hendrix-own ... 3cc46689e9), reportedly the last one he ever used in a live performance (a jam with Eric Burdon a couple of days prior his death). It did not sell, not even for 175k, which is rather moderate if compared to other Hendrix instruments that have been sold in the past.

The next problem would be to find adequate teaching personnel - what measures would you want to use in order to find guitar teachers for a Rory Gallagher School of Music? Extraordinary teachers will require extraordinary payment. Mind that we're not talking about any music school, we are talking about a facility that should be related to Rory in other respects than his name alone. even the proposal to make available those of Rory's instruments/gear that wont sell for teaching purposes will throw up problems: first of all they would still have to be insured, secondly I doubt that most of them will meet the requirements of teaching (some of them might be broken, others hard to operate - remember, Rory collected a lot of instruments that were rather cheap and of obscure origins).

I have to admit that initially I did not like the idea at all that a part of Rory's collection was going to be scattered to all the four winds. I think it was because it would mean that some of the items will vanish forever or might not been treated rightly. I soon realized that it was very assuming to think so, since what has to stand above all is what Rory would have wanted and what his family wants to happen. I did not know Rory but I sense he would have liked to give them for the benefit of underprivileged young musical talents. besides that, I think to let some of his gear go would certainly give a positive impulse to fan culture - just imagine your Hard Rock Cafés without all those history-charged stuff mounted behind glass.
no_noise_reduction

Postby tonetanner » 20 Apr 2012, 17:22

"Extraordinary teachers will require extraordinary payment". Well, what does extraordinary mean? I don't think it would mean (for the purposes of this post) only the Bonamassa's etc could show a beginner how to get started on a Rory tune. I'm guessing, but there may be fifty forum members here who can play very decent renditions of Rory tunes, good enough to teach kids perhaps, and most probably do it already - for nothing!
This project does need a mission statement before it goes anywhere though.
TT
what do you think of that?
tonetanner

Postby no_noise_reduction » 20 Apr 2012, 17:28

Well, maybe you're right and I'm complicating it too much. I just wanted to share my thoughts, not offend or discourage anybody. Regarding the mission statement: Keeping it as open as possible is an approach I have a lot of sympathy for but as soon as there is money involved somebody will ask for a mission statement : /
no_noise_reduction

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM