Which Woman would have been Best for Rory?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Which Woman would have been Best for Rory?

Postby bronyr » 13 Mar 2016, 07:04

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:My mum was scared of the hippies in 1972, when she arrived in the UK from India, after her marriage. She said you could not tell the difference from behind if it was a girl or a boy.   Everyone had long hair. My dad was a student in the 60s here in the UK. He had a lot of hair. I do remember dad's flares!!
In the early 90s I was a bit of eco-warrior nineties hippy. My hair was long and wild. My students friend Jen had the same. We loved our hippy teachers. We were fascinated by their memories of 60s and 70s.
My parents still miss the 60s and 70s. As soon as Thatcher came, everything changed. I guess I am Thatchers children. Rory did say, when Thatcher arrived everything changed in the eighties.
I loved the 90s. So the Millennium and adjusting to becoming a 21st century woman was not one of the easiest transitions I made!! Subrata.x

I was more a child of the 60s-70s, born in 53, and being a "hippie" was less about drugs and manner of dress, and more about being counter-culture, more about being non-conformist, and creative, which is why if I were to categorize Rory, I would say he was a hippie, a child of the counter culture. The long hair would definitely be counter-culture. Especially for men. I remember boys who were beaten up, arrested, kicked out of school, for having hair that was considered long. And the clothing too, was not so much to conform to a particular "hippy dress code," but to dress as one wanted, again, non-conformist, as Rory did although his manner of dress was not that non-conformist by Western United States style. He dressed like a working class western American, but the hair and the creativity definitely would put him there. And I think a non-conformist woman who was creative and independent-minded would definitely be to his taste. As he said in that interview, he found women who were pretty without a lot of makeup, and who had their own opinions and thoughts, (and he did not say it but I would guess she would have needed to have a strong creative flair; artist, writer, musician) and that was the sort of woman that would have suited him. IMO.

That's just how I envision his taste, too, Roberta. I especially love that he mentions a woman who thinks for herself. He also never seemed to refer to women as chicks or babes or birds. :)
bronyr

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Mar 2016, 19:21

Hi Cynthia. I totally agree with you. Rory respected independent women.
Being a teenager in 80s and 90s I just loved talking to the "hippie generation". Mainly my teachers and lecturers. I learnt so much and I still love talking to them and listening to what they have to say
I like Rory because he was intelligent man. I would happily loved to chat to him in a pub about anything and everything. Same with Susie. He was wise, intelligent, knowledgeable and a gentleman.
My first love from Uni was a very knowledgeable and became a University lecteure . The guy I like now is a historian. He is very brainy and loves books. However he is not really spirutual and its an issue. Something I need to resolve for me , if I want a future with him. He does like Queen and Rory!! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Annie Elliott » 13 Mar 2016, 21:42

Olav wrote:But the person whom I was talking about did her best to make herself "famous" claiming that she was the one and only Rory's girfriend. In all forums, in FB. Everywhere.
now tell me - why?! She does't respect his wish to stay private or what?

I get what you're saying Olav. Many of the women Rory dated will say that but no more, some won't comment at all.

But I guess in a way I feel a bit sorry for the person you're referring to, you know? I would say with confidence though that Annelies was not Rory's one and only, not by any means. She was a fan, a friend, one of many.

ailish78 wrote:In the video of Rory playing the Savoy in Limerick 1972, you can see a girl standing in the wings. I was wondering if this might have been the girlfriend (between 72 -78?) that everyone is talking about. It could also very well be the one who claims to have had a 5 year relationship with him.

I wouldn't spread those kinds of rumors frankly Ailish. There's little if anything to back them up, many are embellished, and some of them are entirely fabricated out of someone's wishful thinking.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 18 Apr 2017, 19:26, edited 3 times in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Mar 2016, 22:56

RobertaSparrow wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:My mum was scared of the hippies in 1972, when she arrived in the UK from India, after her marriage. She said you could not tell the difference from behind if it was a girl or a boy.   Everyone had long hair. My dad was a student in the 60s here in the UK. He had a lot of hair. I do remember dad's flares!!
In the early 90s I was a bit of eco-warrior nineties hippy. My hair was long and wild. My students friend Jen had the same. We loved our hippy teachers. We were fascinated by their memories of 60s and 70s.
My parents still miss the 60s and 70s. As soon as Thatcher came, everything changed. I guess I am Thatchers children. Rory did say, when Thatcher arrived everything changed in the eighties.
I loved the 90s. So the Millennium and adjusting to becoming a 21st century woman was not one of the easiest transitions I made!! Subrata.x

I was more a child of the 60s-70s, born in 53, and being a "hippie" was less about drugs and manner of dress, and more about being counter-culture, more about being non-conformist, and creative, which is why if I were to categorize Rory, I would say he was a hippie, a child of the counter culture. The long hair would definitely be counter-culture. Especially for men. I remember boys who were beaten up, arrested, kicked out of school, for having hair that was considered long. And the clothing too, was not so much to conform to a particular "hippy dress code," but to dress as one wanted, again, non-conformist, as Rory did although his manner of dress was not that non-conformist by Western United States style. He dressed like a working class western American, but the hair and the creativity definitely would put him there. And I think a non-conformist woman who was creative and independent-minded would definitely be to his taste. As he said in that interview, he found women who were pretty without a lot of makeup, and who had their own opinions and thoughts, (and he did not say it but I would guess she would have needed to have a strong creative flair; artist, writer, musician) and that was the sort of woman that would have suited him. IMO.

As much as I wished I had been around in the 60s and 70s (well I was just a baby in the seventies), I am glad I am here in 2016. The world is going through incredible changes and I am glad I am witnessing it. I also have my own role and purpose to play. I also enjoyed the 90s in my youth. I would never changed that for the world. I feel all the things happening to me is both my fate and destiny. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Lee61 » 27 Mar 2016, 09:57

I've just been reading through this thread and my mind is boggling.... :D :D
Lee61

Postby CiaSeattle » 03 Apr 2016, 16:29

Annie Elliott wrote: I've seen pictures of Catherine with Rory years later and they seem very close and friendly.

I absolutely don't want to start this thread again, I'm just wondering where to find the photos you mentioned, Annie. I've never seen pictures of Rory and Catherine together, is there a link to the ones you refer too? If they were in Gerry's book, the copy I have (donated by another kind Rory fan to whom I am very grateful!) has most of the pictures removed.
CiaSeattle

Postby capo » 03 Apr 2016, 17:14

CiaSeattle, there are a few pictures of Rory with Catherine in Deinze in 1990, and in Ghent in 1992( the last time she would see him alive) in Jean-Noel Coghe's quaint little Rory book. In fact the text describes Catherine telling Jean-Noel how that last night Rory took her aside, alone and "he talked to me like he'd never done before, about his innermost feelings and the things that were dearest to his heart. It was almost as if he sensed that his days were numbered". See page 161. Maybe someone on the forum here can post the pics here, I don't have the knowledge unfortunately.
capo

Postby ailish78 » 03 Apr 2016, 18:52

I would like to see those pictures as well. :) That's such a sad story. Why couldn't they just get it together? We might still have him with us today. :(
ailish78

Postby M.felix » 03 Apr 2016, 23:01

He did not like her is simple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 03 Apr 2016, 23:09

this photo is the forum in Photo finish. I think it's the photo in question, the expression of Rory strikes me is closed, but in fact he did not like it.
M.felix

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM