Rory Acoustic Solo Gig?

Rory Fans ~ New members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) (USA) John Ganjamie (roryfan) (USA) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) (UK) Jim Petrover (JimLED) (Ukraine).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Rory Acoustic Solo Gig?

Postby jedcop » 08 Aug 2011, 20:44

Just reading through my old rory scrapbooks.i notice that on 15th december 1975 rory arrived in birmingham during the day before the evening gig in birmingham to do some interviews.the band were due to follow later in the day.but due to vey thick fog the rest of the band did not make the gig.what happened?,rory did an acoustic set with donal on drums and another chap(unknown) on keyboards.THEY PLAYED FOR OVER TWO HOURS......were you there?.please let us know how it went.........jedcop
jedcop

Re: Rory Acoustic Solo Gig?

Postby Sinner Girl » 08 Aug 2011, 20:52

Welcome jedcop on Rory forum

Milka
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Aug 2011, 21:25

jedcop wrote:Just reading through my old rory scrapbooks.i notice that on 15th december 1975 rory arrived in birmingham during the day before the evening gig in birmingham to do some interviews.the band were due to follow later in the day.but due to vey thick fog the rest of the band did not make the gig.what happened?,rory did an acoustic set with donal on drums and another chap(unknown) on keyboards.THEY PLAYED FOR OVER TWO HOURS......were you there?.please let us know how it went.........jedcop

Hi Jedcop and a very warm welcome to Rory's forum

Yes I was lucky and privileged enough to witness this amazing Rory Gallagher concert in 1975 ..
I've written about it a few times on this and the old Rory MP forum. It is as you say above more or less. Excepting Donal did not play the drums after Rory played well over an hour with his acoustic set. Apparently I've heard since, Donal did have a go on drums in the sound check. But the sound engineers played tricks with the mics on him and he declined after. Your right though with Rory after the acoustic set. He did pull a guy out of the audience and he played a few tunes on the piano with Rory on the electric guitar. I always remember the most memorable part after 36 years now was Rory saying to all his fans. When getting the strat out there was a huge cheer. Then he walked over to the microphone and said in that lovely Irish accent of his "Now you'll have to play the part of the drums for me" .. Didn't we just. I was on the balcony at The town Hall which was a wooden floor in those days. Well we nearly bought the balcony and house down stomping to Bullfrog Blues :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably the best gig of my life! Plus the beauty and generosity with Rory was he gave us that gig free of charge. I got my ticket still with it stamped on the rear. For a return gig at The Birmingham town hall again with his full band, later in the year :)
The ticket is here bottom right

Rory Tickets (2).jpg

Thanks a million Rory .. one of the greatest frontmen of all time .. and more importantly .. you were also one of the greatest gentleman of all time :)
Jay Jay

Postby Sinner Girl » 08 Aug 2011, 21:39

Beautiful story JJ, I wish that i was there Image Image
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Return to Rory Gallagher's Official Forum ~ Welcome