Rory's Collaborations with Ladies?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: Rory's Collaborations with Ladies?

Postby brian_brady » 16 Jul 2011, 20:15

I wish Rory had an opportunity to sing a duet with Bonnie Raitt more than any one else in the music world. Her duet with song writer John Prine on his "Angel from Montgomery" is a thing of beauty. Bonnie can play accoustic blues, she learned electric slide guitar from (insert name of old, African-American blues legend here, if I wasn't so tired, I'd google search it), Bonnie has toured with Little Feat and NRBQ !!!
If we are pretending Rory was alive today, I would love to see Rory with 'The Tedeschi - Trucks Band' . http://www.facebook.com/DerekAndSusan
Susan Tedeschi is amazing, Derek Trucks' guitar playing is beyond the point that mere words can describe it. I can just close my eyes and see Rory and Susan singing together and then Rory and Derek playing dueling slide guitar solos, a.k.a. Duane Allman and Dickey Betts, or Trucks/ Warren Haynes. Can you imagine Rory opening for Gov't Mule and then joining the band during the encores !!! Okay, reverse that. Gov't Mule has enough class that they would open for Rory as he is the headliner and then Warren Haynes joins Rory and band during the encores, all 5 of them !!! I love to pretend that Rory is still alive and is one of the most talked about musicians after 'Rory Gallagher' tears up the stage at Glastonbury and Bonnaroo and Coachella !!! Ahhhhhh, the dreams will never die...
brian_brady

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jul 2011, 00:09

Good post Brian.

Just watching Suzi Quatro, she would have been interesting to see as a bass player (better looking than Gerry) with Rory :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 17 Jul 2011, 01:09

And singin' "glycerine queen...glycerine queen" :))

But my choice is few women:

Joan Baez
Grace Slick
Blondy baby
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby asdesas » 11 Aug 2011, 01:20

I can see him doing some rootsy songs with Jo Ann Kelly. And Maggie Bell, that would have been something to reckon with!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Tattoo'd Lady » 17 Apr 2012, 22:25

JimLED wrote:I remember a story about Anne Briggs.

Rory sent her a tape with a music he wanted to play She Moved Through The Fair together...but Ann dropped the tape down into the trash. She thought Rory was a pop-star etc..

that's true
Tattoo'd Lady

Postby Tattoo'd Lady » 17 Apr 2012, 22:27

what about rory and joan baez?
Tattoo'd Lady

Postby Dave » 22 May 2012, 20:30

[quote="JimLED"]I remember a story about Anne Briggs.

"Rory sent her a tape with a music he wanted to play She Moved Through The Fair together...but Ann dropped the tape down into the trash. She thought Rory was a pop-star etc..."

Well, we all KNOW Rory was NO pop star, but maybe compared to a complete recluse like Anne Briggs he WAS!
Dave

Postby Flamenca » 25 May 2012, 14:34

Would have loved to have heard Rory collaborate with Joan Armatrading in the late '70's when she was playing jazzy, acoustic stuff. Her eponymous album and the follow up 'Show Some Emotion' are amongst two of my favourite LPs. I still play them. Don't like her later pop stuff much mind. 'Drop The Pilot' was catchy, but 'Me, Myself, I' grates on me ...

I would especially have loved them to co-write film soundtracks using Rory' s sitar and both of their collections of unusual instruments. I think they could have created some emotionally intense, spooky, eerie songs that would have enabled them both to reach a much wider audience and far reaching critical acclaim.
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Jun 2012, 20:26

Lucinda Williams- It would have been an interesting combination, or Bonnie Raitt. Either one of them would have complemented Rory's style. I often wondered, though, some of the blues standards he sang gave a very skewed view of women. His own compositions weren't like that, but if one grows up singing about the ladies in those songs (Pistol Slapper Blues, Banker's Blues, I Wonder Who) does it begin to affect someone's view of women in general?
RobertaSparrow

Postby innuendo » 16 Jun 2012, 19:00

RobertaSparrow wrote:Lucinda Williams- It would have been an interesting combination, or Bonnie Raitt. Either one of them would have complemented Rory's style. I often wondered, though, some of the blues standards he sang gave a very skewed view of women. His own compositions weren't like that, but if one grows up singing about the ladies in those songs (Pistol Slapper Blues, Banker's Blues, I Wonder Who) does it begin to affect someone's view of women in general?

they were just songs from other artists that he liked, i'm sure he didn't have that opinion about women expressed in those songs.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES