New " Rory Gallagher Blues " Chess Label, Thoughts, Reviews

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: New " Rory Gallagher Blues " Chess Label, Thoughts, Revi

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Jul 2019, 16:21

Jay Jay wrote:
monty wrote:Cynthia and I both got the double album and the triple cd they get better and better the more I’ve listened.If you haven’t got it yet I suggest you go and buy it right away

I totally agree Jim.. This new Rory Gallagher Blues album is truly a fabulous package that Daniel Gallagher has put together. Which ever format you choose to go for and purchase :)

However, if you can only purchase either the CD set or the LPs, I would recommend the CDs because there is a wealth of new material on the CDs that isn't on the vinyl, and I am delighted to say, much of it is material previously unreleased. I love the old vinyl formats, but there is probably a full CD's worth or new material in the CD set. The packaging for both is outstanding.
RobertaSparrow

Postby zanny » 09 Jul 2019, 23:01

Hotpress competition to win the vinyl:
https://www.hotpress.com/competitions/w ... l-22781217
zanny

Postby blues blooded » 25 Jul 2019, 19:01

I’m without a CD player and the moment, got one in the car but I don’t often use it. I’ve downloaded the album from iTunes. It’s just brilliant . What else can I say really?
blues blooded

Postby SUBY1974 » 31 Aug 2019, 20:40

This has taken long while to write, but I wanted to hear the new Rory Gallagher Blues Album and give a honest review. I was very excited, when it was announced that this 3 CD album would released this year and it has been such a treat for Rory fans like me.
First of all I love the album cover with Rory in his blue check shirt. It obvious he wore the shirt at his concerts and for photo shoots but I love the whole artwork of it. Its just beautiful to look and also of him holding his guitars.
All of the Rory's band members contribute to his sound and I love both Rory's harp playing, guitar and mandolin playing. As always its great to hear Rory's various playing styles and hearing different versions of him playing Blues songs or any songs. Rory had a true Bluesmens heart.
For some reason I always hear the Blues when I am ironing! Anyway I will take each CD one by one.

CD 1
Don't Start Me Talking ( Sonny Boy Williamson) - Great slide work from Rory.
Nothing But The Devil ( Jerry West)- Nice slow Blues number.
Tore Down (Sonny Thompson) - I love Rory's version of Tore Down at The Savoy 1972, Montreux 1975 and on Ghost Blues. I never heard this version of the song before by Rory and I love it.
Off The Handle (Rory Gallagher) - Charged with emotion.
I Could Have Had Religion (Trad Arr Rory Gallagher) - Very nice version of the song.
As The Crow Flies ( Tony Joe White) - This is an electric guitar version I never heard of. A really good version , with heavy slide work and it is very deep.
Million Miles Away (Rory Gallagher) - More fluid and lighter version then Irish Tour 1974. But I love the version he did in 1995, which was full of raw emotion.
Should Have Learnt My Lesson (Rory Gallagher) - Great slow version and smoother style. I like Gerry's bass here.
Leaving Town Blues (Peter Green) - Filled with emotion. Heartbreaking and I love Rory's mandolin playing. Great drumbeat and recorded with his new band members in 1994.
Drop Down Baby (Sleepy John Estes) - Rory participated in this song and his guitar playing is superb.
I'm Ready (Willie Dixon and James Moore) - I believe this was at the height of Rory's career,getting to play with his hero Muddy Waters. :mrgreen:
Bullfrog Blues (Trad Arr Rory Gallagher) - Very dynamic, rock and roll and a lot of fun actually! :mrgreen:

CD 2

Who's That Coming (Rory Gallagher) - Beautiful natural playing and gorgeous slide technique from R.G.
I Should Have Learnt My Lesson (Rory Gallagher) - Lovely solo guitar playing.
Prison Blues (Rory Gallagher) - Never heard Rory play or sing this song before. He is telling a story here and Rory is a good storyteller through his songs. Blues songs have a story to it anyway.
Secret Agent (Rory Gallagher) -This was on Rory's National. Love this version and the Rockaplast version electric guitar version of 1976.
Blow Wind Blow (Mckinley Morganfield) - Never heard this light version of the song. Rory has really good vocals. His speaking and singing voice was so soothing.
Bankers Blues (BIg Bill Broonzy) - At the beginning of this song there is fun chit chat about Humphrey Bogart being called Humphrey Bogi in the plural?? Anyway love Lou Martin's piano playing and Rory is playing a six stringed guitar, not the 12 string on Blueprint Album. Loved this version all the same.
Whole Lot Of People (Rory Gallagher) - Love the strumming pattern in a Bo Diddley kind of style.
Loanshark Blues (Rory Gallagher) - I love this National guitar version. Based on the film the Waterfront which Rory loved.
Pistol Slapper Blues (Fulton Allen) - Great version and loved the intro.
Can't Be Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters) - Deep playing.
Want Ad Blues (John Lee Hooker) - John would love this Rory's version.
Walking Blues (Son House) - Love this version and the one Rory played at Montreux 1994.

CD 3

When My Baby She Left Me (Sonny Boy Willliamson) - This is the first of three live songs on the CD of the Glasgow Apollo Concert 1982. The other songs are Nothing But The Devil and What In The World. Rory really has matured as a guitar player. Love his Strat playing here.
Nothing But The Devil (Jerry West) - Slow Blues number and I love how the audience chants Rory's name.
What In The World (Mckinley Morganfield) - Very emotional and one of my favourite tracks from Rory. Love his vocals here.
Messing With The Kid (Junior Wells)- Love this version and Lou Martin's piano playing.
Tore Down (Sonny Thompson) - Dynamic.
Garbage Man (Willie Hammond) - I love the humour in this song.
All Around Man (Bo Carter) - Deep guitar blues playing from Rory. Love Rory's harp playing and playing the harp along with Lou Martin's piano playing.
Born Under A Bad Sign (William Bell/Booker TJones) - Jack Bruce of Cream has a great voice and how his bass playing complements Rory's guitar. I like how Rory introduces Jack by saying Jack Bruce and Jack Bruce, I believe introduces Rory as great Rory Gallagher.
You Upset Me Baby (Joe Josea, Jules Taub, Maxwell Davis, B B King) - Love this version with Albert King.
Coming Home Baby (Ben Tucker and Bob Dorough) - Love Rory guitar playing here with Chris Barber and co. Very dynamic.
Rory Talking Blues - I like hearing Rory's voice and I love these interviews where he talks about the Blues and he also talks about the blues in the leaflet that comes with the album.

I learnt so much more about the Blues through this wonderful Rory Gallagher Blues collection. Rory never followed old Blues songs to perfection but took them to another level with his own style and flair. He was very progressive and wanted his own "Rory Gallagher" sound people would recognise on the radio or today the internet. He is definitely a quiet crusader of the Blues.

He also says he wanted to teach other what he had learnt when he turned 40 or 50. He does so through this album and all his albums and music recordings. He is so humble.

Rory definitely achieved his dream of his music matching blues classics, as well as being a great rock/blues guitar player that has ever graced this planet and playing with all the great Rory Gallagher bands.

Thankyou Daniel, Donal, Chess Records, the people who did the artwork for the album, the original Blues musicians and songwriters of the songs, Rory's band members and everyone involved in this amazing project. But most of all thank you dearest Rory for the amazing songs your wrote, the covers of original Blues songs, incredible guitar playing, mandoling and harp playing. You have done your Blues forefathers proud. Subrata.xx :mrgreen:

Daniel, Donal and Chess Records you have surpassed yourself with this Rory Gallagher Blues Gallagher collection. All RG fans should have this album in their Rory Gallagher collection. Thankyou so much and I look forward to more Rory Gallagher magic in the future. :mrgreen: ;)

Rory your talent and you takes my breath away. Rock On For Rory!!! Subrata. xx
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 17 Sep 2019, 22:46, edited 7 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby Jukka » 31 Aug 2019, 21:54

First of all, thanks to Jim McClymont (aka Monty), I have received this material of RG. So, thank you, Monty !

As much as I have heard so far, this is not a "money collecting" project, but a real deal.

While posting this, "Prison blues" sounding in my headphones .

cheers and take care all,
Jukka
Jukka

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Sep 2019, 00:06

Jukka wrote:First of all, thanks to Jim McClymont (aka Monty), I have received this material of RG. So, thank you, Monty !

As much as I have heard so far, this is not a "money collecting" project, but a real deal.

While posting this, "Prison blues" sounding in my headphones .

cheers and take care all,
Jukka

It is rather wonderful, isn't it?

Donal, Daniel, et al outdid themselves.
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM