Notes From San Francisco .

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: Fans Reviews of Notes From San Francisco ~ 2CD

Postby Bearded Baby » 20 Jun 2011, 12:05

I don't want to do a full "rivew" as such, but having listened to the NFSF for the lastweek I must I say I like it a lot! I think the studio album is brilliant, and me personally I love the arrangements, keyboards and layered guitars & all. I already have tons of "raw" tri-piece Rory music, for me this album only adds to the versatility of Rory even more. The version of Fuel To The Fire I think is beautiful. I have a little trouble with Brute, Force and Ignorance thoug, it lacks the "power" it demands, the rythm is very strange and the horns seems out of place in my opinion. The two "new" songs Cut A Dash and Out On The Tiles are probably not among Rory¨s strongest works, but ends the album in good fashin anyway. So, all in all I think this is a coherent and good album with few weak points.

The Live album must be one of the best live albums ever released? It's f..ing unbelieveable!

Rgds Asle
Bearded Baby

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Jun 2011, 15:53

Rory Friends & Fans, on my first day and third time of hearing disc one of Notes from San Francisco .. I've got tell you ..

To really appreciate what a great sounding album this is " you must hear it on good equipment ". I've got 4 cd / dvd audio players hooked up to my surround sound system. Although it sounds good through the 2 Panasonic players and Philips player the older Technics player is the best..
I'm hearing Rory's voice / guitar at it's best and most beautiful. Also the bass and drums are fantastic. Lou Martin shines through better than ever IMO :D :D :D

Daniel & Rory Strat.jpg

Great job Daniel Gallagher
Still listening will give full review on individual songs and the live disc 2 later ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 20 Jun 2011, 18:34

I have 100w amp and 100w speaker system. Hope to listen NTFS via this equipment. :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Jun 2011, 19:25

JimLED wrote:I have 100w amp and 100w speaker system. Hope to listen NTFS via this equipment. :)

Hi Jim, mine are 100 watts too.. As I said though the CD player makes a difference..
Example on Track 5 Wheels Within Wheels there are no drums unlike the track 10 alternative version. But I could only make out really the finger clicking on my Technics player clearly on track 5. Like I said also Rory's voice and guitar are the most beautiful and melodic, I have ever heard :) :)
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Jun 2011, 20:09

Rory friends & fans, there will be a slight delay with my full review of NFSF. Reason being I've been in hospital today for an operation ..
I'll need a day or two to recover .. I'll still play Rory at low volume though :( ..
Rory will take away the pain and help with my recovery :)

Rock on for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 22 Jun 2011, 20:45

Jay Jay wrote:Rory friends & fans, there will be a slight delay with my full review of NFSF. Reason being I've been in hospital today for an operation ..
I'll need a day or two to recover .. I'll still play Rory at low volume though :( ..
Rory will take away the pain and help with my recovery :)

Rock on for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

hey jay jay, i hope it's nothing serious. get well soon and you gotta ROCK HOSPITAL!
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby SUBY1974 » 22 Jun 2011, 21:26

Hope you get well soon Jay Jay.Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby innuendo » 23 Jun 2011, 21:28

i love nfsf! first let me say something about live album-it's fantastic, the band is on fire, intensity and energy are very high and the band and the crowd seem to enjoy it. for instance i'm not a big fan of calling card song but the version here is probably the best i've ever heard and that's saying a lot cos my favorite rory line up is with rod and lou. studio album is also great, very interesting to hear some of the songs in different arrangements. i have to say i prefer mississippi sheiks and brute force and ignorance on photo finish album. other songs i like the same as previous versions (rue the day is for instance great song but i don't think it's better or worse than the version which is bonus on calling card cd, same goes for persuasion,b girl and wheels within wheels-i like them the same as previously known versions). to sum it up it's another great rory release for which are fans always craving for
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 24 Jun 2011, 22:41

innuendo wrote:i love nfsf! first let me say something about live album-it's fantastic, the band is on fire, intensity and energy are very high and the band and the crowd seem to enjoy it. for instance i'm not a big fan of calling card song but the version here is probably the best i've ever heard and that's saying a lot cos my favorite rory line up is with rod and lou. studio album is also great, very interesting to hear some of the songs in different arrangements. i have to say i prefer mississippi sheiks and brute force and ignorance on photo finish album. other songs i like the same as previous versions (rue the day is for instance great song but i don't think it's better or worse than the version which is bonus on calling card cd, same goes for persuasion,b girl and wheels within wheels-i like them the same as previously known versions). to sum it up it's another great rory release for which are fans always craving for

My full review and summary of the 2 CD of NFSF would not be to different to our friend here innuendo..
As said before we do have a very similar great Taste :D

Just to add .. The second live CD is absolutely breathtaking. YES! a superb live sounding RORY LIVE recording. When you listened to this extraordinary 63 minutes 44 secs you feel totally enlightened. Rory and the band are on fire. It must be a world record for the most individual notes played by a guitarist in 1 hour. Rory's speed and precision are amazing on the fretboard. All the songs are great, I can't really pick one out above another.

With the studio NFSF, Yes as Kruno says we've heard most songs before like with Rue The Day and Persuasion B Girl (Public Enemy No1) on the remastered CD's. But the quality and production is better on this album. Saying to Mac before when I'd heard a sample of Fuel to The Fire, I did'nt think I would like it without that intro lick as on Photo Finish. But just after a few times playing this NFSF version now, which has a totally different lick. I do like it just as much, it is still beautiful in it's own way. As said earlier Rory voice on this album is the best I've ever heard. Plus I think 'cause he uses the Les Paul Junior guitar also quite a bit on this album. That is why his sound on the guitar is so more melodic I believe at times. If I had to pick out the most outstanding track on the album. It would be Wheels Within Wheels track 5 :)

Overall, even though great sound and production. I can see why Rory at the time abandoned it and didn't want it released. I'm glad it's been released now because some die hard fans would be forever wondering and wanting. It does fit well in the Rory solo discography section and ..
is after all the last album of the 4 piece of Lou, Rod and Gerry at that time.
This album IMO would not make my top ten of favourite Rory albums ..

The Notes from San Francisco 2nd Live CD would make my top five Rory Live albums though :D

PS. QUESTION: Would we have gotten the great albums Photo Finish, Top Priority, Stage Struck and even Jinx. If Rory had not abandoned this album and change direction in his musical vocational career??
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 25 Jun 2011, 17:09

Jay Jay wrote:
innuendo wrote:i love nfsf! first let me say something about live album-it's fantastic, the band is on fire, intensity and energy are very high and the band and the crowd seem to enjoy it. for instance i'm not a big fan of calling card song but the version here is probably the best i've ever heard and that's saying a lot cos my favorite rory line up is with rod and lou. studio album is also great, very interesting to hear some of the songs in different arrangements. i have to say i prefer mississippi sheiks and brute force and ignorance on photo finish album. other songs i like the same as previous versions (rue the day is for instance great song but i don't think it's better or worse than the version which is bonus on calling card cd, same goes for persuasion,b girl and wheels within wheels-i like them the same as previously known versions). to sum it up it's another great rory release for which are fans always craving for

My full review and summary of the 2 CD of NFSF would not be to different to our friend here innuendo..
As said before we do have a very similar great Taste :D

Just to add .. The second live CD is absolutely breathtaking. YES! a superb live sounding RORY LIVE recording. When you listened to this extraordinary 63 minutes 44 secs you feel totally enlightened. Rory and the band are on fire. It must be a world record for the most individual notes played by a guitarist in 1 hour. Rory's speed and precision are amazing on the fretboard. All the songs are great, I can't really pick one out above another.

With the studio NFSF, Yes as Kruno says we've heard most songs before like with Rue The Day and Persuasion B Girl (Public Enemy No1) on the remastered CD's. But the quality and production is better on this album. Saying to Mac before when I'd heard a sample of Fuel to The Fire, I did'nt think I would like it without that intro lick as on Photo Finish. But just after a few times playing this NFSF version now, which has a totally different lick. I do like it just as much, it is still beautiful in it's own way. As said earlier Rory voice on this album is the best I've ever heard. Plus I think 'cause he uses the Les Paul Junior guitar also quite a bit on this album. That is why his sound on the guitar is so more melodic I believe at times. If I had to pick out the most outstanding track on the album. It would be Wheels Within Wheels track 5 :)

Overall, even though great sound and production. I can see why Rory at the time abandoned it and didn't want it released. I'm glad it's been released now because some die hard fans would be forever wondering and wanting. It does fit well in the Rory solo discography section and ..
is after all the last album of the 4 piece of Lou, Rod and Gerry at that time.
This album IMO would not make my top ten of favourite Rory albums ..

The Notes from San Francisco 2nd Live CD would make my top five Rory Live albums though :D

PS. QUESTION: Would we have gotten the great albums Photo Finish, Top Priority, Stage Struck and even Jinx. If Rory had not abandoned this album and change direction in his musical vocational career??

i agree with everything you said jay jay, my thoughts exactly. and to answer your question-i really don't know and none of us can know would we get the great albums like photo finish, top priority, stage struck and jinx if rory changed his musical direction. we can only speculate. and my thoughts are that if rory changed his musical direction and stayed with lou and rod we would certainly get some great albums. would they be as good as photo finish and all the other mentioned albums i really don't know. they would certainly be/sound different
innuendo

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings