Notes From San Francisco .

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Fans Reviews of Notes From San Francisco ~ 2CD

Postby mac » 16 Jun 2011, 13:24

I know there have been complaints about the marketing, but what do people think of the actual music on the albums.

On the studio album I think the playing throughout is as you would expect ...excellent.

Highlight for me is wheels within wheels.

Surprise for me is that I like the horns on brute force and ignorance.

Disapointment would be overnight bag, Rory sounds like hes singing with auto tune or some effect on.

highlight for me on the live album is Do you read me.

No low point
mac

Re: Fans reviews of Notes From San Francisco ~ 2CD

Postby mac » 17 Jun 2011, 13:00

Nearly 600 members and no one has a view on a new album by Rory Gallagher.....strange.
mac

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jun 2011, 13:03

I'm getting NFSF hopefully on Sunday (Father's Day) Mac, then after I'll give you my review ;)
Jay Jay

Postby folkdeejay » 17 Jun 2011, 15:47

I will post a revie w tomorrow.

Its a fine album.
folkdeejay

Postby Mandyl » 17 Jun 2011, 16:37

I think it's an excellent album and as soon as I can I'll post my own review if nobody minds :?:

But I will say that I think Daniel has done an excellent job, as he did on Crest of a Wave which I bought last week.

Mandy
Mandyl

Postby Sinner Girl » 17 Jun 2011, 16:51

And I will put my review when I received the album( LE Notes From San Francisco), hopefully it will come next week ;) ;) ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby JimLED » 17 Jun 2011, 17:09

I wish to write my best review when my Taste at Isle of Wight DVD be arrived! ;)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Sinner Girl » 17 Jun 2011, 17:33

JimLED wrote:I wish to write my best review when my Taste at Isle of Wight DVD be arrived! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Re: Fans Reviews of Notes From San Francisco ~ 2CD

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jun 2011, 15:38

More reviews Of "Notes from San Francisco 2 CD" here please ;)
Jay Jay

Re: Fans Reviews of Notes From San Francisco ~ 2CD

Postby folkdeejay » 18 Jun 2011, 21:39

Here is my review ( written for an online mag) :

Ok – where to start ? I knew about the “lost” Rory album back in the 80's, when the “Torch” album was mentioned in various articles and interviews (maybe around the time of Jinx). So like legions of other Rory fans, I was keen to hear new material. Fresh Evidence was along time ago, and since then releases have been either re-workings of previous releases, albeit with extra tracks, or live material that is always welcome, but is a variation on a familiar theme.

My long awaited copy of Notes from San Fransisco arrived in the post the day or elease, – thank you Badlands !!

Firstly, the packing. This Ltd Edition book and two CD package is superb. Very well designed and nicely made, it is a suitable format for such an important release to Rory fans worldwide. Sleeve notes that detail recording information and lyric changes are great to see, and add another level of interest to the songs, some of which are alternative versions of tracks subsequently released by Rory after “starting again”. A couple of essays add background to the story behind this lost recording. Original producer Elliot Mazer and Rory's brother/manager Donal Gallagher supply a timeline and some fascinating anecdotes.

The first disc is the studio album, and it is a rich, layered affair with multi-track vocals and arrangements that go far beyond the previous studio albums by this line up. It is obvious to me that a different pair of ears producing added another dimension to the sound Rory, Lou Rod and Gerry had previously made. Blueprint, Calling Card, Against the Grain and Tattoo are fine albums, but they have a leaner, less arranged sound. NfSF is closest in “feel” to Against the Grain and it could, in my opinion, have launched Rory into league One in the US. It just has a “sound” that compares to the big AOR hits of the day, no doubt having Neil Youngs' producer on board was a major factor here.

Starting with a barrelhouse piano intro, opening track Rue The Day is a classic Rory blues rock number, which is followed closely by similarly upbeat Persuasion. Both tracks are skillfully arranged, full band numbers that would sit happily on any other Rory album of the period. The next six tracks are familiar to Rory fans, having appeared on other albums in different versions. Are they better or worse? Well, neither. They are different enough to be regarded as standalone songs, and they all fit the feel of the album. Brass, keyboards and multiple guitars feature strongly, in contrast to the leaner arrangements on the other later versions. Overnight Bag is perhaps the biggest departure, with phased, double tracked vocals, a new verse and different solo's. A second version of Wheels within Wheels on the same album shows Rory was always working on arrangements. The funky, stark sound of Cut a Dash is a real departure, and is the only track on the album that sounds like a work-in-progress. To me, this is a “B-side” as it stands, and is the weakest song on an otherwise excellent album. Out on the Tiles finishes disc one the way it started, with a rocking Rory number.

Disc two is a live treat, with the trio Rory seemingly preffered returning to San Fransisco a year after the recordings on disc one. Some blazing versions of familiar live tracks along with a few lesser heard live gems. Standout tracks are Tattoo'd Lady and Calling Card, but the entire disc is superb and really showcases a band on top form, with Rory playing and singing at his usual 110%

In summary, this album lives up to expectations, and would also be a fine place for new fans to start - any rock fans who like Clapton, Springsteen, The Allman Brothers, Neil Young, or John Cougar etc etc will find much to like here, and hopefully progress onto the rest of the formidable Rory back catalogue.
folkdeejay

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings