TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Postby Lee61 » 05 Oct 2015, 20:14

Jay Jay wrote:
Lee61 wrote:Here I sit in Sligo Ireland about to drive to Ballyshannon tomorrow to see Rory's statue. What a thrill! I also purchaed my IOW dvd knowing that I would probably have difficulty getting it when I returned to Australia. I am one happy little vegemite :)

Hi Lee, have a great time tomorrow at one of my favourite places in the world Ballyshannon..
Say hello from Jay Jay to Rory and the friendly town folk also ;)

Meanwhile here is another excellent review of Taste " What's Going On " Live @ The Isle Of Wight :)
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/whats-going ... llette.php
Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

Oh Thank you Jay Jay I certainly will...
Lee61

Postby SUBY1974 » 05 Oct 2015, 20:28

Review Of Taste Isle of Wight DVD 1970

Just like other Rory fans, I have waited for a while to see the incredible performance that Taste did at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970. Part of me so wished I had been there,but alas I was only born 4 years later after the event. However watching this DVD has been a dream ycome true.

I bought the DVD as a Blue ray and could not get the normal DVD. It was great to receive it on the 18/09/2015 and I planned to watch it on my portable DVD player. It is a dinky thing and as I travel a lot, I sometimes take it with me. However my brother said as it’s a Blue Ray I ought to watch it on the big TV. He said I would be a “twit” not to. I am so glad I did and think Rory had a hand in that. It was also the anniversary of Jimmy Hendrix death ( RIP).

I literally had no idea what to expect and that’s why after watching the DVD I had “ no words” to give to my review. I just felt blown away, speechless and just for a moment I had left this world, before I came back.

I still don’t think I have the adequate words to describe what I saw on the DVD but I will try. It was great to see Taste’s performance in all its glory. The colour and sound of the video was excellent. Thank you and Donal, Daniel and everyone else involved for making this outstanding DVD.

For a start I have heard all of Tastes CDs and I have all them. However this great band should never have split up. Those guys they belonged together. Now I know the original members of Taste ( Norman and Eric ) were good players and given time they could have had more veteran experience as John and Charlie. However the seeing John, Charlie and Rory on stage made me realise they had something unbelievable special. John himself said few bands have this “IT” factor but they certainly had “IT”.

I have seen many bands in my time but I never seen such an incredible interaction and chemistry with Taste. It was magical and had I seen their performance in real life, I think it would have be ultra magical.

Rory obviously was born to be a band leader, no doubt about that. Even at 22 he could keep his band tight. His guitar playing at the IOW was astounding and you can tell why he is one of the greats and for me the greatest electric guitarist in the world, if not the whole of the Universe. Jimmy was right in saying Rory was a great guitar player in the world. Playing in front of 600,000 people… well that takes guts and all of Rory’s hard work paid off. Up until the IOW he had practiced guitar hour after hour and played in hundreds of more hours in showbands. This for him was one of the pinnacles of his career at this stage of his young life. I have never seen a performer close his eyes so often when playing and that is because the music is taking him elsewhere. He is such a confident and beautiful player. Every string note of his and beat takes us there as well.

It is hard to believe that the guys were so tense before their performance. They must have been under a lot of stress. Nobody had a clue the frustrations and anger they were feeling about the business side of the band. I won’t go on about that side of things but it is interesting to see Eddy Kennedy say he took care of the business side of things. Well he certainly did!

Even though Taste were not on speaking terms, when they went on stage that day they were true professionals. I can fully understand their intensity of their playing. Rory, Charlie and John were playing with an undeniable beauty, ferocity and passion. All there pent up emotions went into the playing and that is probably why the performance stole the show.

Each player was lost in their own playing and yet connected to Rory or each other on another plane. During Catfish there was a moment the band members were simply not looking each other. They were listening to each other and feeling each other’s playing. It was a very telepathic moment of playing for them all. They knew exactly when to play and fed off each other. It was like waves of musical light connected these guys. My brother and I felt connected to this incredible energy they were pulsating on that stage. It was pulsating out of the TV set!!

Whats Going On and Sinnerboy are my most favourite songs and of cause Rory’s amazing telecaster slide piece of Gambling Blues. During Gambling Blues, for a short moment he looked happy while playing to the adoring crowd. I am glad they included the audio version of I Feel So Good.

I always felt things in life are somewhat fated. I believed that Taste may have ended at the right time for Rory to begin his solo career. The 70s had begun and that was a new decade for Rory and new possibilities for his music. He used the backdrop of Taste success to launch his own solo career. He said that Taste was over creatively and professionally. Yes his solo career showed the variety and diversity of his guitar playing. I am glad he went solo so that we fans could see what Rory could do as a magician or musician.

However after watching Taste at IOW, I am beginning to wander what if Taste had still stayed together? As I said those guys belonged together and Donal recently confirmed Rory never wanted a solo career. He wanted to achieve his musical dreams through Taste and perhaps we still could have seen Rory’s diversity of playing through Taste? Rory said he missed the Taste days in 1994 and that Taste was a great band. As he said what happened to them should never, ever have have happened.

If Taste had done a reunion concert in 1990s, I would have loved to have seen them but only if Rory was playing. Anyway there are two many “what ifs” here and the past can’t be changed. I can now understand Rory’s deep, deep hurt when Taste ended. The personal and professional blow must have been enormous for him. No wonder he never played a Taste song again or rarely spoke of the break up of this great band.

It is extraordinary that Murray Lerner ( thank you Murray) allowed the cameras to keep on rolling while Taste were on. It is incredible to think Taste management were going to cancel the band’s performance if they were filmed. Thank God the incredible Taste performance was captured on film and those guys played their heart and soul out. I just feel so blessed to have seen the performance on DVD after 45 years and I feel sad for those who did not live to see it.

I am glad that pictures of Norman and Eric are in the DVD. Remember they got Rory where he needed to be and they must be thanked for that. Also I thank Donal, Daniel and Tom and everyone involved for releasing this extraordinary DVD and most of all thank to John, Charlie and Rory for such a historic rock performance. This DVD will put Taste and Rory on the map once more. It truly was a legendary performance , from a legendary band. Rock On For Rory .Subrata. x
Susie you are so right my dearest, dearest friend. Rory continues to blow my mind. Thank you for coming into my life and thank you Rory for coming into our lives. Thankyou Susie for bringing Rory into our lives. :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Oct 2015, 18:17

At the NYC screening of "What's Going On - Taste Live At The Isle Of Wight" David Fricke of Rolling Stone..
interviews the films producer Daniel Gallagher and sound supervisor Eliot Kissileff.

Jay Jay

Postby Tibbierocks » 07 Oct 2015, 10:34

The concert is amazing. I worked with someone who was there. I told him it was being released, but I'm not working with him anymore, so I've no idea if he bought the DVD. Can't believe the band were splitting. they were so tight! What a shame. I like seeing Rory given signs of when to slow down, come in, etc. Haven't noticed the naked lady - Well, that doesn't bother me if I did. I can cope with naked ladies. What bothers me is the mirrors and the light reflecting off them - that is not good for musicians on stage to have that shinning in their eyes when playing. Also as a migraine suffer, I hate bright lights and have to look away every time the camera focuses on one of those mirrors. thank goodness no one takes mirrors to gigs now to shine. Great job on restoring the footage. What on earth is happening during the german films on the extras? Taste playing on a rubbish heap. That was odd.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Oct 2015, 11:06

Tibbierocks wrote:The concert is amazing. I worked with someone who was there. I told him it was being released, but I'm not working with him anymore, so I've no idea if he bought the DVD. Can't believe the band were splitting. they were so tight! What a shame. I like seeing Rory given signs of when to slow down, come in, etc. Haven't noticed the naked lady - Well, that doesn't bother me if I did. I can cope with naked ladies. What bothers me is the mirrors and the light reflecting off them - that is not good for musicians on stage to have that shinning in their eyes when playing. Also as a migraine suffer, I hate bright lights and have to look away every time the camera focuses on one of those mirrors. thank goodness no one takes mirrors to gigs now to shine. Great job on restoring the footage. What on earth is happening during the german films on the extras? Taste playing on a rubbish heap. That was odd.

Yes, my favorite part of this is seeing Rory interacting with the other two, definitely the one calling the shots. We are fortunate the cameras were rolling for Taste. Despite all the legal fights and lengthy negotiations, this film was well worth the wait. Yeah, they had more than one camera rolling, so fortunately we got to see Rory playing rather than that naked woman upstaging him. :lol:

And, Hi Tibbierocks, welcome back- 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tibbierocks » 08 Oct 2015, 16:15

I'm going to watch this again this weekend purely to see if I can spot the naked woman. I was all eyes on Rory to be honest.
Thank cynthia, I'm to try to come around more often. I got out of the habit of coming here.
Tibbierocks

Postby JimLED » 08 Oct 2015, 18:34

Tibbierocks wrote:I'm going to watch this again this weekend purely to see if I can spot the naked woman. I was all eyes on Rory to be honest.
Thank cynthia, I'm to try to come around more often. I got out of the habit of coming here.

No, no. There's not a scene with a nude woman. Just a pure blues! :D
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Oct 2015, 23:11

Tibbierocks wrote:I'm going to watch this again this weekend purely to see if I can spot the naked woman. I was all eyes on Rory to be honest.

:lol: You won't see the naked woman on the DVD, she's still on the YouTube version. I hadn't particularly noticed her absence until a male Rory friend pointed that out. So I checked on YouTube, found it, sent him the link.

I was too distracted by the sight of a 22-year-old Rory having his way with his Tele to notice, ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 09 Oct 2015, 13:25

Tibbierocks wrote:The concert is amazing. I worked with someone who was there. I told him it was being released, but I'm not working with him anymore, so I've no idea if he bought the DVD. Can't believe the band were splitting. they were so tight! What a shame. I like seeing Rory given signs of when to slow down, come in, etc. Haven't noticed the naked lady - Well, that doesn't bother me if I did. I can cope with naked ladies. What bothers me is the mirrors and the light reflecting off them - that is not good for musicians on stage to have that shinning in their eyes when playing. Also as a migraine suffer, I hate bright lights and have to look away every time the camera focuses on one of those mirrors. thank goodness no one takes mirrors to gigs now to shine. Great job on restoring the footage. What on earth is happening during the german films on the extras? Taste playing on a rubbish heap. That was odd.

I did find it strange that the festival goers were shining mirrors into the musician's faces. Were saying "Hey look I am over here!'or creating a "disco affect"? The mirrors do blind you when you are playing on stage - lack of consideration. I am more use to people having their phone apps at concerts. Feel strange without them. I am really digitalised these days :lol: Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Oct 2015, 17:54

SUBY1974 wrote:

I did find it strange that the festival goers were shining mirrors into the musician's faces. Were saying "Hey look I am over here!'or creating a "disco affect"? The mirrors do blind you when you are playing on stage - lack of consideration. I am more use to people having their phone apps at concerts. Feel strange without them. I am really digitalised these days :lol: Subrata.x

:lol: :lol: :lol: They use cell phones for that now? In my day we used lighters or matches, and it didn't work for open air daytime concerts, only in the darkened venues with the stage lights on and the house lights out. 8-)

P.S. for me, Rory's version of Catfish is my favorite on the disc, but it's a very close edge. That whole concert is outstanding.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings