TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Release

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Sep 2015, 13:17

I did watch the Isle of Wight documentary of the festival highlights in the 1970. My brother and I loved it!! 600,000 came to the Isle of Wight and it was the first and last huge outdoor rock concert to ever happen in the UK. It gives a real snapshot as to how hippy UK was in the 70s. Oh I wish that time would come back. The logistics of handling a huge concert like that must have been colossal. Firstly the brother who organised the festival were given Afton Hill ( a farm) for the event. People had to pay to get in. £3 in those days? However there is a hillside in the distant, so some concert goers watched it for free. There was a lot of corporate talk and I don't like corporate or capitalists. However the concert eventually was made for free. Such amazing line up:-,Taste; Moody Blues; Hendrix; Joan Baez; Joni Mitchell; Tiny Tim; The Who; The Doors etc. It lasted one week! There was so many funny moments. They built this fence to keep out the non-paying crowd, so they painted graffiti on it. One graffiti said Jimmy Hendrix should be the Pope. The brothers were saying that they should "supervise" the painting of the fences LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: I just love the rebellion. My hippy lecturers and teachers at Uni lived in such an exciting time. If it hadn't been for the dope and other excesses, I would have loved it more.
I was shocked though a father gave his young son dope.
I would have gone ballistic. Young kids can enjoy a festival without dope and in the early 90s without Ecstasy. I loved going to country hippy fares with my pal Jenny in the early 90s.
The locals looked shocked at the hippies presence and I I love it! Anything anti-establishement I love. As Joan Baez said "The young have inherited a terrible world and they are rebelling". They understood that then and so do the next generation.
They showed people going to open loos - Good God.
Those bodyguards and police, were really mean to the crowds. I was alarmed if any security dogs and people had got injured. 600,000 people? Good God that's like a small town! I am amazed no one got crushed.
All in all I loved it and as the guy said at the end "Nothing like this will ever happen again". He is right.
They banned the Isle of Wight Festival for a while. It is back now and I may go in the future.
Murray Lerner I loved the film footage. So much swearing but good music. Subrata.x I found it interesting , when the promoter wanted people to pay and then said the festival was free cos they could not break even with the profit. He then says he is one of the hippies and starts doing V signs. LOL.x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 17 Sep 2015, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Sep 2015, 17:53

SUBY1974 wrote: . . . I did watch the Isle of Wight documentary of the festival highlights in the 1970. My brother and I loved it!! 600,000 came to the Isle of Wight and it was the first and last huge outdoor rock concert to ever happen in the UK. . .

:mrgreen: A friend of mine wishes me to point out that there is another venue in the UK that rivals IOW for size, he threw the gauntlet down, and pointed out,

http://www.knebworthhouse.com/concerts-2/rock-concerts

Having pointed that out, let me add,

Soon We Will Be Able To Watch Rory At The Isle of Wight At Full Volume! In Surround Sound!

And, I will have my own herbal refreshments- got to keep up the traditions of old. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Sep 2015, 23:19

Ah Knebworth....Queen played there in 1986 and Oasis played there in 1996. I use to visit it as a child and I absolutely adore English country houses. Taste played in Woburn Abbey and we use to go there to see the safari park and animals there.
I can't wait to watch the Taste IOW DVD. I am glad saw the IOW festival documentary first and its history. Once Quantum Mechanics enter our world, I would love to go back and view the IOW festival myself ;) .
Talking of the IOW Festival they brought up tree huggers. My brother remembers when I was an eco warrior ( still am) and I use to go around with my friend Jen with long wavy hair and yes sprayed green! She had purple long wavy hair. We use to sit in trees and hug them. Of course one grows up but my brother asked "Do you still hug trees?". I go "Yeah...I love the trees energy fields. Humans have energy fields. Quantum physics...look it up. Trees are my best friends as they are of all hippies". My brother goes, "You always talk about a lot of hippy dippy stuff". Do I now? :lol:
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 18 Sep 2015, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Sep 2015, 23:29

I can't wait to watch Taste IOW DVD this weekend with a fresh cup of cameline tea. I love my herbal stuff too! :lol: :lol: :lol: Free love and peace man!.
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 17 Sep 2015, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 17 Sep 2015, 23:44

By the way Wiki does not seem to mention Rory or Taste at the Isle of Wight festival, even though Taste stole the show....
SUBY1974

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Postby capo » 19 Sep 2015, 18:47

My review. Stream of consciousness style. First impression: Oh My God! Second impression: same as first. Rory, painfully thin. Intense. Hair. Alot of hair. Sweat. During solos, in another sphere. At times, eyes roll in back of his head. Is he even touching the stage? So inside of himself, forgets huge crowd of eyes on him. Where does he go, consciously at times? So close to John Wilson at times, his wet hair touches Wilson's highhat! And Wilson? Also in his own world of his making. Rarely making eye contact with Rory, but always intune where Rory is going. Real anger at times when he hits those skins. Intense. Richard McCracken? A freakin beast on Bass. Kept trying to see if his fingers were bleeding. Yes. Intense too. No other word to describe it. No feel good vibe here. Three great musicians, no longer friends, in a world of their own making. Did they even notice the cameras? Catfish Blues. Stunning. The improvisation? Ornette Coleman would be proud. They left it all out on that stage.Sublime. Sometimes the chase is greater then the catch. Not this time. Forty Five years! Yes. It was worth the wait. Oh My God! Fin.
capo

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Sep 2015, 19:00

by SUBY1974 » 19 Sep 2015, 00:43
My brother and I just watched the Taste Isle of Wight DVD on the huge TV. I feel tonight I went through some sort of spiritual experience. Taste with Charlie, John and Rory were incredible, sensational. I am just lost for words at the moment. Susie told me Rory would blow my mind time and time again. I have just been to heaven and back. I will give my review tomorrow. OMG OMG OMG it was magical. Bless you Rory and RIP Jimmy Hendrix. I need to get my sleep now. Rock On For Rory. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby innuendo » 20 Sep 2015, 14:00

in croatia cds, dvd and blu rays are quite expensive so when i buy something i buy it from amazon, it's considerably cheaper even with shipping cost from amazon. so i'm wondering where are you guys and gals buying music? record store or online? and also what is the cheapest place to buy taste iow blu ray? maybe someone can put a few links. on amazon price is around 20 euros.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Sep 2015, 15:50

innuendo wrote:in croatia cds, dvd and blu rays are quite expensive so when i buy something i buy it from amazon, it's considerably cheaper even with shipping cost from amazon. so i'm wondering where are you guys and gals buying music? record store or online? and also what is the cheapest place to buy taste iow blu ray? maybe someone can put a few links. on amazon price is around 20 euros.

Hiya Kruno, don't you ever visit the main RORY GALLAGHER homepage here?
All the items you mention above are at reasonable prices here ;)
http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/201 ... e_of_wight

Rock On for Rory :)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Sep 2015, 17:52

Jay Jay wrote:
innuendo wrote:in croatia cds, dvd and blu rays are quite expensive so when i buy something i buy it from amazon, it's considerably cheaper even with shipping cost from amazon. so i'm wondering where are you guys and gals buying music? record store or online? and also what is the cheapest place to buy taste iow blu ray? maybe someone can put a few links. on amazon price is around 20 euros.

Hiya Kruno, don't you ever visit the main RORY GALLAGHER homepage here?
All the items you mention above are at reasonable prices here ;)
http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/201 ... e_of_wight

Rock On for Rory :)

When you click on that link, at least from the U.S., routes you back to Amazon.com I went to the Eagle Rock site to order it before that link was there, a few weeks ago, and the link on Eagle Rock jumped to Best Buy. Don't quite know how it works, but it seems to depend on where your computer is based as to which online source it will route to. I ordered from Best Buy, and I found the price quite reasonable, $11.99 for the DVD, $14.99 BluRay.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings