TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Postby jenniferj » 16 Oct 2015, 06:17

We bought this long-awaited DVD and even though we have an all-regions DVD player, it does not play this DVD. Our region is 4, the DVD is 1, but it should play, as others from different regions. Imagine our disappointment - and it doesnt seem that there is any way around it.
Is there anyone in Australia who has bought the DVD and can play it? If so, where did you get it? It doesnt seem much point in ordering it from somewhere else, but perhaps as region 1 is the US, the manufacturers there are putting this block on it. That would be fine if
we could get a region 4 version, but you cant. Not happy.
Jennifer.
jenniferj

Postby RoryfanBrisbane » 16 Oct 2015, 09:36

Where did you buy the DVD from? Have you tried updating the DVD player firmware?
RoryfanBrisbane

Postby jenniferj » 16 Oct 2015, 09:43

Hi, I ordered it from a record store in Sydney. I haven't updated anything on the PVR - I've got no idea how to do that
I'm afraid.
Jennifer
jenniferj

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Oct 2015, 10:41

jenniferj wrote:We bought this long-awaited DVD and even though we have an all-regions DVD player, it does not play this DVD. Our region is 4, the DVD is 1, but it should play, as others from different regions. Imagine our disappointment - and it doesnt seem that there is any way around it.
Is there anyone in Australia who has bought the DVD and can play it? If so, where did you get it? It doesnt seem much point in ordering it from somewhere else, but perhaps as region 1 is the US, the manufacturers there are putting this block on it. That would be fine if
Jennifer.

I'm sorry. I know BluRay discs will work across regions, but DVDs are still specific, unless you have a player that can play both. Living in the U.S. I had a similar problem, as I had gotten some titles that were in PAL instead of NTSC and I finally ordered a DVD player that was specifically multi-regional, but it is a pain in the neck.

Can your PC play it? If so you can run it through your television if it has that capability. A lot of the newer ones can. If your T.V. can double as a monitor to the computer, that is one way around it.
RobertaSparrow

Postby willie the pimp » 17 Oct 2015, 01:15

jenniferj wrote:We bought this long-awaited DVD and even though we have an all-regions DVD player, it does not play this DVD. Our region is 4, the DVD is 1, but it should play, as others from different regions. Imagine our disappointment - and it doesnt seem that there is any way around it.
Jennifer.

Mine plays fine and I bought it from amazon uk.
Have you had a look at http://www.dvdexploder.com to hack your DVD player? It's easy and it works.
willie the pimp

Postby Lee61 » 22 Oct 2015, 06:31

Recently bought my DVD from Ireland and it plays here in Australia.
Lee61

Postby jenniferj » 22 Oct 2015, 08:34

Thank you for your replies - I have sent it back and they are going to try to source one for me which will play.... if they cant, I will look to Amazon.uk and also
to a supplier in Ireland.
Cheers,
Jennifer
jenniferj

TASTE ~ What's Going On . Live IOW

Postby gazalang » 23 Oct 2015, 19:05

Well... the real footage of Taste from the IOW festival was awesome. Genuinely gave me a great buzz. I bought the album 43 years ago and to see the footage that shows the band ON FIRE was a confirmation of what I had always felt what was going on. They played on a tide of adrenalin and excitement, despite their troubles. Rory was so on form, creative, exciting, ground breaking...he played like his life depended on it. If Hendrix was watching down in the vip area, he must have shit himself. He had been THE player of the time after Clapton had gone awol on drugs and booze.

It's hard to appreciate now .. just how far Rory had taken his unique style. A mixture of blues rock, jazz and heavily influenced by Irish musc undertones. It's said that when interviewd after the festival, Hendrix was asked what it felt like to be the worlds greatest guitarist. Hendrix reply was 'you better ask Rory Gallagher'. It never occurred to me until now that Hendrix must of thought, 'shit man.. he can play'! By this time Jimi was tired of his whole scene. His own performance at the IOW was a mess..so was the bulk of the festival really. But Taste and Rory took the crowd by the balls .. so different, inspired, unique, on fire, lifted by the response and creating a batch of music that was a demonstration of real chemistry. Never to be repeated. Watch this footage and see what musicians can do when they ride the same wave. Rare these days, but the world moves on...
So glad I was part of it and it was part of me :)
gazalang

Postby Shin Kicker » 06 Jan 2016, 03:06

I know I'm late to the party but I only now received my copy of IOW. I'm astounded at the fantastic quality of the audio. Somebody did a great job of engineering on that. Interesting how Richard's amp is replaced at the beginning. Wonder what happened there. What's up with the distance to the crowd? I'm pretty sure Rory couldn't see the "whites of their eyes" :). All in all an amazing document of a historically great performance.
Shin Kicker

Postby capo » 08 Jan 2016, 17:09

Shin Kicker, I'm pretty sure the seated, roped off area was for "VIPs". If you watch the later night time performances its full up. I guess Taste was'nt important enough for these "special" folks to bother to show up early. I had not noticed Richard's amp change before, your sharp eyed Shin Kicker!
capo

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings