TASTE "I'LL REMEMBER" BOX SET - REVIEWS

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

TASTE "I'LL REMEMBER" BOX SET - REVIEWS

Postby jedcop » 30 Aug 2015, 19:47

I have been listening to the box set,i must admit i expected the stockholm live stuff and the bbc stuff to sound better.......the stockhom gig is out on bootleg(has been for ages) and i cannot see any difference in sound at all,i might be knitpicking but perhaps i should not expect too much,i wonder if anybody else feels the same,i would love to hear your comments.......jed
jedcop

Re: TASTE "I'LL REMEMBER" BOX SET - REVIEWS

Postby no_noise_reduction » 31 Aug 2015, 10:01

Hmm.. I have been waiting for the first reviews to turn up here. I''ve been listening to about the entire set for the third time or so now and I strongly have to disagree (sorry) regarding the Stockholm material. I knew the bootleg version before and I actually think the version in this new box set sounds much better, I would go as far to say they have been taken from the (original) pre-FM reels. I gave all four discs a careful listen with good headphones (beyerdynamic DT-990 pro) and soundwise I would rank the recordings like this:

Spoiler: SHOW
excellent to:
1. On the Boards
2. Taste (album)
3. bonus tracks disc one
4. Stockholm

very good:
5. bonus tracks disc two
6. Belfast sessions
7. Woburn
8. Major/Minor single

good to okay:
9. BBC recordings

Actually I tested the studio albums with Dynamic Range Meter and the result was that they both have a pretty good dynamic range (between 10-15 for the first, 11-13 for the secound album, if you are familar with that program) - so they are not excessively compressed. The Stockholm show sounds much cleaner and crisper than then bootleg version that is commonly circulated. The Beat Club tracks have about the sound quality as the official Beat Club Sessions CD, but that should not be a surprise.
Regarding the Belfast sessions - well: They sound cleaner than the bootleg version but apparently the tape they used as a source suffered from deterioration. There are noticable parts in every track in which the quality drops a bit for a couple of seconds. They might even have cut in audio from an inferior source here, e.g. one of the various bootleg versions of the recordings. I also had the feeling they added a bit of reverb and bass to the entire recording, but I will have to have a closer listen. The Major/Minor single sounds very clean but it seems they added a little bass to that one as well.
The only recording that I'd say is below average for a commercially released product (this said, I still like it and I'm glad they did include it!) are the BBC tracks. This does not come as a surprise, though, since most of us might know that many old BBC recordings (of about any important artist of the 1960s) have been wiped. They used an off air recording for the box set and I assume it does not get much better than that - would be nice if they did a set with the remaining BBC recordings as well, no matter if sourced from original tapes or 3rd generation off air recordings.

I would like to read more opinions :-)
no_noise_reduction

Postby capo » 05 Sep 2015, 00:23

I agree with all that you said in regards to the sound quality no _noise_reduction, better stated then I could so I won't repeat it. I'll just add that I think Stockholm is a revelation, sound wise, compared to my old boot I own. I'll just offer a few random impressions overall. I think while Eric Kitteringham and Norman Damery were fine musicians, Richard McCracken and John Wilson are clearly superior players that brought a new dynamic to Rory's sound. Its interesting to see how Rory's lead solo style evolved over time. In Taste days he used ALOT of notes and was all over the fretboard, with long solos and flurries of rapid fire leads. By his early solo album days, he had developed a more compact style, with , I guess the word would be more vibrato and less notes, and his tone changed. I don't know if i'm explaining myself correctly, but I think you know what I mean. He was a much different player, style wise, to my ears. The last thing I'll say is that Rory sounded, and wrote, like a much older man then he was. He seemed much more mature and seasoned then a 19 or 20 year old youngster. Anyway, I think the box set is wonderful, in all ways. Peace. PS. I just noticed that the Stockholm gig was on the 18th of September 1970, the morning which Jimi Hendrix was found dead. I wonder why Rory made no mention of it from the stage or dedicated a song to Jimi?
capo

Postby ken » 05 Oct 2015, 20:04

I was asked by Donal when i was at the BBC to put in an appeal for missing Rory material, I also put Donal in touch with the BBC archives. Oy appeared in the BBC newspaper for current and ex staff/
Apparently one of the BBC camera man put a version of the Birthday concert recoded at the Shepherds bush theatre on you tube, he claimed it was better than others on there.
You may havt to click on the image and see the whole news item
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ken

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Oct 2015, 12:46

capo wrote:I agree with all that you said in regards to the sound quality no _noise_reduction, better stated then I could so I won't repeat it. I'll just add that I think Stockholm is a revelation, sound wise, compared to my old boot I own. I'll just offer a few random impressions overall. I think while Eric Kitteringham and Norman Damery were fine musicians, Richard McCracken and John Wilson are clearly superior players that brought a new dynamic to Rory's sound. Its interesting to see how Rory's lead solo style evolved over time. In Taste days he used ALOT of notes and was all over the fretboard, with long solos and flurries of rapid fire leads. By his early solo album days, he had developed a more compact style, with , I guess the word would be more vibrato and less notes, and his tone changed. I don't know if i'm explaining myself correctly, but I think you know what I mean. He was a much different player, style wise, to my ears. The last thing I'll say is that Rory sounded, and wrote, like a much older man then he was. He seemed much more mature and seasoned then a 19 or 20 year old youngster. Anyway, I think the box set is wonderful, in all ways. Peace. PS. I just noticed that the Stockholm gig was on the 18th of September 1970, the morning which Jimi Hendrix was found dead. I wonder why Rory made no mention of it from the stage or dedicated a song to Jimi?

Information didn't travel at the speed of light then like it does now. I remember when Senator Robert Kennedy was shot, he lingered on life support for a short time, and I recall listening to a transistor radio during breaks between classes in school to get updates. He died hours before it was announced over the radio. It was likely the same on that morning when Jimi was found dead. Rory may not have heard, or may not have been able to confirm it.

I think, had he known, he would have done both, mentioned it and dedicated a song.
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings