IRISH TOUR 74 BOX SET 40th Anniversary Recordings

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: Irish Tour 74 Box Set 40th Anniversary Recordings

Postby JimLED » 23 Oct 2014, 16:49

Stevo, hi, did you already watch DVD?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Stevo » 23 Oct 2014, 19:12

I haven't watched the DVD that came today yet. I think it's just the same as the original Irish Tour DVD.
Just been listening to the CDs.
Stevo

Postby Stevo » 24 Oct 2014, 00:07

Discs 1 and 2 (Cork City Hall) are the best quality recordings, these were the recorded with the Ronnie Lane Mobile Unit and used for the original Irish Tour release, whilst Belfast and Dublin were recorded via the sound desk.
Disc 1 starts with the intro we all know so well. "Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Rory Gallagher", but instead of Cradle Rock, we go straight into Messin' With The Kid. Not that much different from the Live In Europe version, except we now have Rod on the drums, and Lou filling out the sound on the keyboard.
The next few tracks are from the original release. Cradle Rock, I Wonder Who, Tattoo'd Lady and Walk On Hot Coals.
Laundromat seams a bit faster than Live In Europe. No getting the crowd to clap along to the beat this time, just straight into the riff. Longer solo/outro section.
Back to the original release for A Million Miles Away, Too Much Alcohol and As The Crow Flies, but now we get to hear Hands Off, and what a great track it is. The band are on top form (as they always are), with interplay between Rory and Lou, while Gerry and Rod keep the groove pumping along. It turns into a great jam, which leads into Too Much Alcohol.
Pistol Slapper Blues, Unmilitary Two-Step and Bankers Blues are the next unreleased tracks which showcase Rory on the acoustic and blowing a mean harp.
Going To My Hometown is again, not that far away from the Live In Europe version. Rod plays the same 'stomp' beat as Wilgar. Lou takes a keyboard solo, but other than that, it's quite similar.
Who's That Coming is the last of the tracks from the original recording, which leads us into a 16 minute, tour de force version of In Your Town. Gerry starts things off with Rod and Lou joining in. Then we hear Rory tuning his guitar to an open tuning, but even that sounds musical, and could pass as part of the tune. The others stop, and let the crowd clap out the beat, with Rory playing the intro riff, and then it's into the song. Lots of improvising/jamming plus keyboard solo.
Great way to end the 1st concert.
Stevo

Postby JimLED » 24 Oct 2014, 08:13

Excellent review, thank you Stevo!
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 24 Oct 2014, 10:04

Stevo wrote:Discs 1 and 2 (Cork City Hall) are the best quality recordings, these were the recorded with the Ronnie Lane Mobile Unit and used for the original Irish Tour release, whilst Belfast and Dublin were recorded via the sound desk.
Disc 1 starts with the intro we all know so well. "Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Rory Gallagher", but instead of Cradle Rock, we go straight into Messin' With The Kid. Not that much different from the Live In Europe version, except we now have Rod on the drums, and Lou filling out the sound on the keyboard.
The next few tracks are from the original release. Cradle Rock, I Wonder Who, Tattoo'd Lady and Walk On Hot Coals.
Laundromat seams a bit faster than Live In Europe. No getting the crowd to clap along to the beat this time, just straight into the riff. Longer solo/outro section.
Back to the original release for A Million Miles Away, Too Much Alcohol and As The Crow Flies, but now we get to hear Hands Off, and what a great track it is. The band are on top form (as they always are), with interplay between Rory and Lou, while Gerry and Rod keep the groove pumping along. It turns into a great jam, which leads into Too Much Alcohol.
Pistol Slapper Blues, Unmilitary Two-Step and Bankers Blues are the next unreleased tracks which showcase Rory on the acoustic and blowing a mean harp.
Going To My Hometown is again, not that far away from the Live In Europe version. Rod plays the same 'stomp' beat as Wilgar. Lou takes a keyboard solo, but other than that, it's quite similar.
Who's That Coming is the last of the tracks from the original recording, which leads us into a 16 minute, tour de force version of In Your Town. Gerry starts things off with Rod and Lou joining in. Then we hear Rory tuning his guitar to an open tuning, but even that sounds musical, and could pass as part of the tune. The others stop, and let the crowd clap out the beat, with Rory playing the intro riff, and then it's into the song. Lots of improvising/jamming plus keyboard solo.
Great way to end the 1st concert.

Nice one Stevo :)
Can't wait to hear "In Your Town" first song I ever heard of Rory's from Deuce album.. and I fell hook line and sinker :)
Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby cheerdown » 24 Oct 2014, 17:40

Didn't got it until now - Amazon need some time for the delivery to Cheeseland, but I could download a mp3 version to have the chance for a pre-listening. Put it on a USB stick in my car and started with CD1.
That was the Irish Tour we know quite a while. Laundromat was an excellent version, but the sound was different than what I heard before. Some half hour ago I listened on my Pc to other songs and yes, the sound was like a bad bootleg, with the exception of Disc 7 and also I realized, that Who's that coming from the IT film is not included in this set. Why? The sound of the film is great and the version is one of the best I know. What about the Mono-Recordings of Disc 3-6 - nobody wrote a word about that! That was' fair!
cheerdown

Postby Stevo » 24 Oct 2014, 22:15

Just watched the DVD that came in the box set.
It's the same as the reissue/Blu-ray (2011) Irish Tour DVD (same extras).
I've got the original DVD (2000) that had no bonus extras, but this one has Music Maker and Japanese Tour 74.

The film is just the same as the original release. About 1hr 24mins long, with Donal and Gerry doing the commentary.

Music Maker is 27mins long, with tracks I'm Tore Down - Laundromat - Pistol Slapper Blues - Don't Know Where I'm Going - Bullfrog Blues, with each track intercut with Rory talking (Rod had just joined the band and Lou isn't there). Recorded in 73.

Japanese Tour 74 is just home footage with In Your Town playing over the top, about 11mins long.
Stevo

Postby innuendo » 24 Oct 2014, 22:29

i thought the dvd is gonna be some new documentary about irish tour. i already own the 2011 version on dvd but i'm planing on buying it on blu ray.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: IT 74

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 18:47

aoc wrote:Just got the new box, nineteen seventy four,
I can't help but feel like I've bought this before,
It's got extra content, they found in the vault,
That there's always some left can be nobody's fault,
Some folks may complain, but it's not fair to bash,
The honourable trade of remasters, rehash.

The sound it gets better with every release,
Negating the need for my ancient CDs,
I guess Rory never would consider ample,
Anything less than 16 bits per sample,
Now Irish Tour vinyl lies dusty on shelves,
Even the re-release from two thousand and twelve.

It's hard to keep track of which ones I should play,
Because my collection grows bigger each day,
Cardboard sleeves, plastic sleeves, various covers,
Extra tracks, remixes, much to discover,
I love them all equal, not one will I shirk,
Even the version from "Let's Go To Work
I guess memories must move on with the times,
Like a best-of disguised as an album of crime,
But with each new remaster I really do wonder,
How Rory made so many audio blunders,
But bottom line buying this set was my choice,
Now I wonder if next time they'll fix Rory's voice.

I love the poem aoc. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Oct 2014, 23:30

Yeap I have orders mine. Subrata.x :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings