IRISH TOUR 74 BOX SET 40th Anniversary Recordings

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: IT74 Recording dates and locations

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Jul 2014, 21:12

roryfan wrote:For the Irish Tour box set I’ve got pretty close to full concerts - Cork
16 tracks, Belfast 16 and Dublin 14 tracks.

Jim it looks like at least 3 audio discs in a box to me ;)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby smudge » 22 Jul 2014, 15:13

Really looking forward to this box, whether it's entirely audio or with a DVD element too. :D

Would be nice if the heather grey IT74 t-shirt also reappeared in the webstore here in sizes larger than medium (I assume the limited sizes available means that it's been a best seller?)...
smudge

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Jul 2014, 03:59

smudge wrote:Really looking forward to this box, whether it's entirely audio or with a DVD element too. :D

Would be nice if the heather grey IT74 t-shirt also reappeared in the webstore here in sizes larger than medium (I assume the limited sizes available means that it's been a best seller?)...

Is there a possibility of the DVD being included, and if so, has anyone approached director Tony Palmer to see if he has any outtakes, bits of unused film or interviews with Rory that maybe wouldn't have worked in the completed film, but would of course be of great interest now? I found the commentary track with Donal and Gerry to be quite interesting, perhaps there could be something similar with some of Rory's other longtime friends and co-workers, such as Tom O'Driscoll, and Rory's friend and helper Mick.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 23 Jul 2014, 16:19

There must be plenty of unused footage I would assume. The great version of "Cradle Rock" in the dvd was not included in the original cut of the film upon release if I recall correctly. Although I don't know this, I get the feeling that Tom is taking his memories of his friend Rory to the grave with him. Maybe he considers his friendship a sacred matter not to be shared with others, no matter how mundane a lot of it may be. Real old school.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 24 Jul 2014, 05:24

capo wrote:There must be plenty of unused footage I would assume. The great version of "Cradle Rock" in the dvd was not included in the original cut of the film upon release if I recall correctly. Although I don't know this, I get the feeling that Tom is taking his memories of his friend Rory to the grave with him. Maybe he considers his friendship a sacred matter not to be shared with others, no matter how mundane a lot of it may be. Real old school.

Perhaps so, but sharing some of those good memories among those who want to remember Rory would be a good way to keep him fresh in the minds of those who cared about and for him. And if I held a treasure trove of good times in my memories of someone so special, I would want others to hear them. Especially the stories and memories that Rory himself would share with us if he was here to ask. Especially from someone like Tom, someone with no selfish or narcissistic motives ;)
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 24 Jul 2014, 16:24

I hope he does too Roberta. Maybe Donal will use him as a great source for his book. Mark Feltham also must have so much he could share, he has said little all these years since Rory's passing. Also, Rory's last live band has said nothing, as far as I know. Heres hoping.
capo

Postby no_noise_reduction » 25 Jul 2014, 16:58

capo wrote:There must be plenty of unused footage I would assume. The great version of "Cradle Rock" in the dvd was not included in the original cut of the film upon release if I recall correctly. Although I don't know this, I get the feeling that Tom is taking his memories of his friend Rory to the grave with him. Maybe he considers his friendship a sacred matter not to be shared with others, no matter how mundane a lot of it may be. Real old school.

I don't think there is much left in the hands of Tony Palmer. I remember they already had problems to track down a decent version of the IT movie for digital transfer when it was originally released. Someone also contacted Palmer whether he filmed Taste on occasion of the Cream Farewell show which we now know has (unfortunately) never happened. Of course there is this old story about film material from the Irish Tour shows being seized by border guards (?) in Northern Ireland (?) without being returned to this day. I don't think it will ever turn up again, it appears to be gone.
I think, the closest thing to more footage from the time that would be worth a DVD release would be the well known b/w-material from Madrid in 1975.
no_noise_reduction

Re: IT74 40th Anniversary Edition Recording dates and locat

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Aug 2014, 16:25

From main RG homepage the details of the 40th Anniversary Irish Tour '74 Box Set Deluxe Edition ;)

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/201 ... nniversary
Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 07 Sep 2014, 18:49

i'm baffled about this release. anyone has any more info? it's says it has 2 discs and it's released on october 14th. also the title is Irish Tour Special Edition (Full Cork Show). this must be some kind of mistake or i'm sure we would hear about it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Tour-Specia ... 00MU1YEO0/
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Sep 2014, 13:30

This is the new box set of IT '74.

Irish Tour '74 Box Set.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings