Cologne 1990

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Cologne 1990

Postby Tom Jonas » 19 Mar 2014, 20:30

I'm always a bit nervous when I in the DVDs see Rory searching for his bottle-neck or metaltube in his pockets during a solo. Will he find it in time?
But he makes it in the last seconds every time.
Am just watching the Live Concert in Cologne 1990 on the Rockpalatz DVDs. I must say that he really make a 100% performance there in spite of the alleged problems he had at that time. It's all perfect.
But one recording which really is rubbish (but not Rory's fault) is the dreadful Jam Session in Lorley 1982. A stage crowded with drunk artists, some unknown and some wellknown. And the odd man with the steel guitar!
I don't understand the meaning of including this in the DVD.
Tom Jonas

Re: Cologne 1990

Postby Mandyl » 19 Mar 2014, 22:47

I have to say I agree. I can't watch the 'jam session' from 1982. I find it very disrespectful to Rory. I don't know if he actually enjoyed it or not. Perhaps he did. Problems not withstanding Rory, as always, plays brilliantly on the 1990 DVD (and he NEVER misses the bottleneck cue :))
Mandyl

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Mar 2014, 02:31

I don't much care for that one either- all those egos on the same stage, and Rory, always the gentleman, up there going along for the ride while the rest stumble all over themselves. But that seems to happen all too often at those kinds of shows, where as a sign of unity or goodwill, all the musicians of the evening get on stage to share a finale. And it is just too many egos for one stage to hold.

But there are always exceptions to the rule- one of my favorite Rory jam sessions is the one with Jack Bruce- they do three songs together. If I could chose one Rory show to go back and see, this would be on the short list-

Rory looks so tired there, but he also looks like he's having way too much fun to stop! I love the smile on his face while he and Jack trade off- 8-)

And Rory doing what he does best-
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tom Jonas » 20 Mar 2014, 10:27

Jack Bruce is outstanding! Just listen to all he did with Cream. And the session with Rory is superb, Rory really manage to contribute to Jacks fantastic performance. What a base-player and singer!!
Tom Jonas

Postby JimLED » 20 Mar 2014, 11:12

Did Jack Bruce got a proposition to play with Rory? I mean the time when Gerry McAvoy's days are over.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Mar 2014, 20:25

JimLED wrote:Did Jack Bruce got a proposition to play with Rory? I mean the time when Gerry McAvoy's days are over.

That would have been a wonderful partnership- Jack Bruce and Rory- even if it was just for a few recordings (both very strong, musical equals, one on guitar, one on bass, could it work?) would have been something to see! and might have lightened the work for Rory-
RobertaSparrow

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings