The Underated "JINX" Album

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

The Underated "JINX" Album

Postby capo » 10 Mar 2014, 20:48

There are always works by our favorite artists , who have released multiple albums, which fall by the wayside or are underappreciated or rarely listened to. I would like to make the case for people to give Rory's 1982s "Jinx" a reconsideration. This was his last release on a major label and he had high hopes for it. According to some, Rory was very disappointed with its reception but was proud of his production duties and songs on it. It is more polished than most of his albums and I admit it took a long time for it to grow on me. At one time I put it at the bottom of my Rory albums in ranking. But over the years it has become to me a near great album. Look at the top notch songs, great rockers like "Double Vision", "Big Guns", the killer "Loose Talk", the namesake of our Forum. My favorite ballad of his, "Easy Come, Easy Go", the Bluesy title track"Jinx" that fades out way too soon I think, and the ballsy cover of "Ride On Red, Ride On'. "Signals" is a different but interesting take. "Bourbon", "The Devil Made Me Do It", "Nothing But The Devil", (Rory must of had Old Nick on his mind with a twofer) and the introspective "Lonely Mile" round it out. This isn't meant as a album review but as a suggestion that Rory fans revisit this excellent but neglected work. Some would say later that it was a prophetic choice of a title, as Rory soon would be without a major label, the sales were disappointing, he was unhappily stuck on a U.S. arena tour opening for 'Space Rock' acts as he called them. He soon developed his flying phobias and like NOSF, soon dumped another album in the bin. And of course his meds intake increased and changed both his appearance and outlook on life. Jinx indeed. Give it a listen, you wont be disappointed in the least. Peace.'
Last edited by capo on 10 Mar 2014, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
capo

Re: The Underated "JINX" Album

Postby JimLED » 10 Mar 2014, 21:52

hi capo!

Please, do not play with "spaces"... most of members here uses small devices to surfing the forum.
Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby folkdeejay » 10 Mar 2014, 22:11

Its one of my favourites too- although it contains the only Rory song I would say I don't like much, if at all. Big Guns always struck me as a really slight song, albeit played really well (obviously). Just never took to it.
folkdeejay

Postby capo » 10 Mar 2014, 22:36

JimLed, I don't understand what your on about, I don't play with 'spaces', what ever that means.
Last edited by capo on 25 Sep 2015, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
capo

Postby JimLED » 11 Mar 2014, 00:18

capo wrote:JimLed, I don't understand what your on about, I don't play with 'spaces', what ever that means. You can delete my posts as is your right. Don't accuse me of something I am un aware of doing.

Please, no panic. ok? Nobody accuse you :)
Just see how your first post looks:

http://iceimg.com/ZwpnbKSV/spaces.jpg
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Mar 2014, 09:58

JimLED wrote:
capo wrote:JimLed, I don't understand what your on about, I don't play with 'spaces', what ever that means. You can delete my posts as is your right. Don't accuse me of something I am un aware of doing.

Please, no panic. ok? Nobody accuse you :)
Just see how your first post looks:

http://iceimg.com/ZwpnbKSV/spaces.jpg

:D Just a minor misunderstanding- I removed some added hard returns from the post, some empty lines that were inadvertently left- I didn't change any text,- 8-)
P.S., I like the JINX album, too . . . but maybe Rory should have given it a different name for luck?
RobertaSparrow

Postby gbeau61 » 11 Mar 2014, 15:13

I wore that album out in college...really got me into Rory. Double Vision, Signals, Jinx, Come easy...all rocked to me & the production was spot on. :)
gbeau61

Postby innuendo » 11 Mar 2014, 19:46

jinx is very good album and i'd say it's underrated even among rory fans. easy come and easy go and lonely miles are great ballads, in a league with i fall apart and i'll admit you're gone. everybody go and listen to jinx now! :D
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby IrishBlues » 15 Mar 2014, 21:39

Personally I love Jinx, It is second only to Fresh Evidence.
It seems to me to be a bit like a concept album, About people down on there luck(Ride on red,Devil made me do it big guns etc) reminds me of Springsteen in fact.
Brilliant lyric writing on the album.

Signals and Devil Made me do it are my favorites.
IrishBlues

Postby innuendo » 17 Mar 2014, 12:33

IrishBlues wrote:Personally I love Jinx, It is second only to Fresh Evidence.
It seems to me to be a bit like a concept album, About people down on there luck(Ride on red,Devil made me do it big guns etc) reminds me of Springsteen in fact.
Brilliant lyric writing on the album.

Signals and Devil Made me do it are my favorites.

interesting thought about being like a concept album. it would be nice to know if rory intended it that way or it just sort of happen.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings