BBC Sessions - missing item

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

BBC Sessions - missing item

Postby RussV » 05 Nov 2013, 13:45

Hi,

I remember listening to Rory's BBC radio sessions in the 70's as they were brodcast. The one with Hoodoo man blues also featured a scorching version of Messin with the Kid which didn't make it on to the BBC 'Sessions' CD. Have they ever admitted what happened to the recording? I suspect it got wiped.
RussV

Re: BBC Sessions - missing item

Postby JimLED » 05 Nov 2013, 15:14

Welcome to the Loose Talk RussV,

Are you talking about these records?

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby no_noise_reduction » 05 Nov 2013, 16:30

I seem to remember I have at least one version of MWTK from a BBC concert somewhere. It should be available as bootleg among trading circles.
no_noise_reduction

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Nov 2013, 20:17

I thought those were German- the video of a very cute Rory in the solid red shirt with the blue chroma-key background-

Didn't someone mention that the BBC had all kinds of great Rory stuff that they lost or wiped because they figured it was in black and white so why keep it? Hopefully some of that stuff will turn up again- backup tapes that survived :roll:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 05 Nov 2013, 22:17

no_noise_reduction wrote:I seem to remember I have at least one version of MWTK from a BBC concert somewhere. It should be available as bootleg among trading circles.

Yup, there's a bootleg recording called "Alternate BBC Sessions" - easily available these days (Google is your friend ;)) - that contains three(!) different versions of 'Messin' with the Kid' among other rare gems such as two beautiful renditions of 'The Cuckoo', a rip-roaring, twelve minute long take on 'In You Town' on which Rory indulges his love for crime fiction/film noir with some great and inspired ad libs, the seldom played 'Unmilitary Two-Step', 'Maybe I Will' and 'If I Had A Reason' ...

RobertaSparrow wrote:I thought those were German- the video of a very cute Rory in the solid red shirt with the blue chroma-key background

They are. The performance you are referring to was recorded for the German Beat Club in Bremen 1971.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby JimLED » 06 Nov 2013, 09:15

Tokeiihto wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:I thought those were German- the video of a very cute Rory in the solid red shirt with the blue chroma-key background

They are. The performance you are referring to was recorded for the German Beat Club in Bremen 1971.

I have seen GTMHT only in chrome-key background.

JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Nov 2013, 11:50

JimLED wrote:
Tokeiihto wrote:

I have seen GTMHT only in chrome-key background.]

------------

I have discovered that from here I may post something, and it looks fine to me, but it's blocked elsewhere. Here, on YouTube-

My daughter uses chroma-key in her work. I don't quite know how it works, but if something has a chroma-key background anyone with the software can put anything in the background. They don't use blue screen much anymore, I usually see it in green.

Going to My Hometown & I Could Have Had Religion (with backgrounds if it isn't blocked)
I noticed Rory isn't wearing any blue- he's usually wearing something blue, even if it's blue jeans. I bet they asked him not to, so he wouldn't appear partly invisible 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Tokeiihto » 06 Nov 2013, 18:07

RobertaSparrow wrote:My daughter uses chroma-key in her work. I don't quite know how it works, but if something has a chroma-key background anyone with the software can put anything in the background. They don't use blue screen much anymore, I usually see it in green.

You basically just add a pre-recorded film, visual olverlays or, these days, computer-generated imagery on a monochromatic background in post-production. Blue was predominantly used in the past because it's farther removed from red in the color spectrum than green, thus making it easier to separate from skin tones (which obviously feature lots of reddish hues). Thanks to digital keying, however, this isn't much of an issue anymore. And since you need far less illumination for green than for blue - digital cameras being more sensitive to the former due to color processing - green backdrops are far more common in the industry now.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby no_noise_reduction » 06 Nov 2013, 20:07

RobertaSparrow wrote:Didn't someone mention that the BBC had all kinds of great Rory stuff that they lost or wiped because they figured it was in black and white so why keep it? Hopefully some of that stuff will turn up again- backup tapes that survived :roll:

Actually most of the BBC's audio recordings of Rory survive. I believe that every radio session/concert after 1970 is still in existence and held by the BBC. I'm not sure about the 1960s recordings (Top Gear Sessions, any else?), though. Some of those could be lost. Check out Cream's official BBC Sessions CD as a reference: The earliest documented Cream recordings appear to be lost while some others seem to only survive as homemade off-radio recordings.

With tv footage it's a whole different affair. As far as I am aware there have been wipings of Rory's BBC tv appearances until 1972 or 1973 (OGWT). Anything from the BBC after that year seems to survive.
no_noise_reduction

Postby JimLED » 06 Nov 2013, 20:54

My list of Alternate Session BBC. Just audio. Where in this list I can find these two songs mentioned here?

Rory Gallagher Alternate BBC Sessions
London 1971-1974
Source: See Notes
Lineage: CD See Notes
Taped by: See Notes
Transfered by: GKlainer
Additional Notes:
Received these from a trader in the UK around 1992 that was affiliated with the BBC. He claims all were from his masters that he recorded himself, making them 1st gen. copies. Gklainer transferred these from the original cassettes to .wav files in 1998, and recorded the XM broadcast early last year. The estate of Rory Gallagher released "BBC SESSIONS" in 1999, and placed some of the original tracks from this set on this release. Those 5 tracks have been removed, along with 5 other tracks from 1971 and 1972 originally recorded that were either mono or had sound problems. The removed tracks have been replaced with the entire BBC Broadcast from 1/7/72 that was transferred from vinyl. So kick back and listen to a great sounding, dynamic selection of early songs from RORY GALLAGHER. 8/12/71- XM>DAT>CDWAVE>CD>EAC>FLAC
1/7/72- BBC Broadcast Vinyl>Analog>CDWAVE>Soundforge>CD>EAC>FLAC Rest- FM>1st. Gen Analog>CDWAVE>Soundforge>CD>EAC>FLAC- see above notes

Performers:
Rory Gallagher- Electric, Acoustic and Slide Guitars, Vocals
Gerry McAvoy- Bass
Rod D'Ath- Drums

Setlist:
Set List:
Disc 1 (76:24)
8/12/71 Paris Theater, London
01.Maybe I Will 5:08
02.I Could've Had Religion 9:25
03.Crest of a Wave 6:54
04.Messin' with the Kid 5:43

1/7/72 BBC
05.Tore Down 6:09
06.Used To Be 6:00
07.Hoodoo Man 8:23
08.Pistol Slapper Blues 3:57
09.The Cuckoo 4:05
10.Going to my Hometown 8:45
11.In Your Town 11:50

Disc 2 (77:09)
12. Bullfrog Blues 8:26

7/10/72 Bob Harris Show
13. I Could've Had Religion 7:18
14. Messin' with the Kid 5:39
15. The Cuckoo 3:30

2/5/73 Tommy Vance Show
16. Walk on hot Coals 7:32
17. Banker's Blues 3:20

2/21/73 Saturday Rock Show
18. Unmilitary Two Step 2:03
19. If I Had A Reason 5:16

5/12/73 Saturday Rock Show
20. Tattoo'd Lady 4:00
21. Cradle Rock 5:44
22. A Million Miles Away 7:37

6/20/74 Bob Harris Show
23. Tattoo'd Lady 5:23
24. Messin' with the Kid 6:36

8/19/77 N. Horne Show
25. I Take What I Want 4:36
JimLED

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings