Rory Gallagher @ Rockpalast '77 Sky Arts 1 HD

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Rory Gallagher @ Rockpalast '77 Sky Arts 1 HD

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Sep 2013, 22:30

Just going through my Sky TV channels menu and saw Rory Gallagher Rockpalast on now :)

Watching it now and noticed they have switch the songs order around from the dvd.
Probably cause of original beginning where TV presenter speaks over Rory's playing . Anyhow it started with 1. I Take What I Want. 2. Garbage Man. 3 Secret Agent.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Re: Rory Gallagher @ Rockpalast '77 Sky Arts 1 HD

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Sep 2013, 11:43

I like the SKY female presenters intro to this programme..
Not that I need any proof of what people are all beginning to say about Rory at last ..

Quote .. " Rory Gallagher proves that without doubt he was one of the greatest blues / rock guitarists of them all " :) ..
" He is playing Rockpalast the excitement and atmosphere are intense "

Then Donal Gallagher introduces Rory to the stage :)
Jay Jay

Postby no_noise_reduction » 23 Oct 2013, 10:03

was the transfer any different (HD?) to the ordinary DVD version transfer?
no_noise_reduction

Postby Tokeiihto » 26 Oct 2013, 18:00

no_noise_reduction wrote:was the transfer any different (HD?) to the ordinary DVD version transfer?

There are no HD transfers of any of Rory's Rockpalast appearances. If broadcasted on an HD channel, it's "only" upscaled, meaning the actual resolution is still 576p (PAL) at best. I doubt we'll ever see a real high definition version of those concerts since, to my knowledge, they weren't shot on actual film (16 or 35 mm - which you could properly remaster for an HD release) but video.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby no_noise_reduction » 06 Nov 2013, 20:12

Tokeiihto wrote:
no_noise_reduction wrote:was the transfer any different (HD?) to the ordinary DVD version transfer?

There are no HD transfers of any of Rory's Rockpalast appearances. If broadcasted on an HD channel, it's "only" upscaled, meaning the actual resolution is still 576p (PAL) at best. I doubt we'll ever see a real high definition version of those concerts since, to my knowledge, they weren't shot on actual film (16 or 35 mm - which you could properly remaster for an HD release) but video.

This said it's is still possible to transfer magnetic tape to HD - you'll still see a difference. WDR (the station who is behind Rockpalast) recently rebroadcasted Ten Year After's "Swing In" appearance in a fresh HD transfer. The difference in quality was striking.
no_noise_reduction

Postby Tokeiihto » 06 Nov 2013, 23:40

no_noise_reduction wrote:
Tokeiihto wrote:

This said it's is still possible to transfer magnetic tape to HD - you'll still see a difference. WDR (the station who is behind Rockpalast) recently rebroadcasted Ten Year After's "Swing In" appearance in a fresh HD transfer. The difference in quality was striking.

Well, you can of course transfer analog video to digital media, but resolution-wise there are limitations based on the source material. Depending what format & equipment was used, those WDR concerts were probably recorded on video with a resolution of 240-300 lines (interlaced). Scanning those tapes will not result in real high definition image quality (Full HD 1080p). Video simply doesn't contain the necessary amount of information.

Now, I haven't watched the Ten Years After concert, but I'd argue that they simply upscaled the SD footage. I mean, it would still look superior to earlier analog broadcasts, and they have probably done a good job remastering it, cleaning up the picture, applying noise reduction and edge enhancement etc., so in that regard there probably was a visible improvement ... but unless it was originally shot on actual film it's very, very unlikely this was presented in actual 2K high definition.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby innuendo » 22 Nov 2013, 17:53

well just imagine if there was any rory concert from the 70's shot on film and they released it in amazing quality on blu ray. how amazing would that be? i know we have irish tour which is great but that is more a concert film than just a show. is taste iow shot on fim?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings