Stage Struck Remastered 2013

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Stage Struck Remastered 2013

Postby Dave Harmon » 26 Sep 2013, 11:55

I have bought a copy of Stage Struck Remastered 2013 on CD. This is my third version of this album i own. I chose the original vinyl ablum for my 8th Birthday in 1981, i bought the year 2000 CD issue. I have now bought the new remaster, as you tell i love this album. I think it is one of the best live albums out there. I have noticed that on the last track Shadow Play, the sound of the symbols and all high notes handled by the trebble control fade in and out every few seconds, through-out the song but gets worse towards the end. My original vinyl, nor the year 2000 CD version does this. Has any one else noticed this?? A shame as i find all of the other tracks are of top quality.

Dave H
Dave Harmon

Re: Stage Struck Remastered 2013

Postby Tibor77 » 26 Sep 2013, 21:11

I also love this album, but I have the previous CD only. ShadowPlay actually ends fading which always annoyed me. Did they change that for the new remaster? Once I have this new version, I will let you know my thoughts. You might have received a faulty copy, mabye you should ask them to replace it.
Tibor77

Postby Dave Harmon » 27 Sep 2013, 05:05

Hi Shadow play does fade out after he says his thank you goodnight. It did on the original vinyl. On the new remaster if you listen for the percussion and high notes it just ever so slighty fades in and out throughout the track just getting more apparent towards the end. It is a bit like the orginal spool tape for this track was left too close to a magnetic field and has been dammaged. The other edditions dont do this. Obviously when you listen to a remastered disc you are looking for and enjoying the clarity. I must say on the rest of the album the quality is very good. The value of the Cd is great just wish the last track one of my favourites was as good quality.
Dave Harmon

Postby JimLED » 27 Sep 2013, 12:32

Hi Dave, can you rip this track for me to WAV and send me by PM?
I'd like to analyse this track to.
Thanks,
Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Dave Harmon » 28 Sep 2013, 22:42

Ok Jim I will get it to you sunday evening in WAV format.

Dave H
Dave Harmon

Postby Tibor77 » 30 Sep 2013, 05:35

Dave Harmon wrote:Hi Shadow play does fade out after he says his thank you goodnight. It did on the original vinyl. On the new remaster if you listen for the percussion and high notes it just ever so slighty fades in and out throughout the track just getting more apparent towards the end. It is a bit like the orginal spool tape for this track was left too close to a magnetic field and has been dammaged. The other edditions dont do this. Obviously when you listen to a remastered disc you are looking for and enjoying the clarity. I must say on the rest of the album the quality is very good. The value of the Cd is great just wish the last track one of my favourites was as good quality.

That is too bad, but thank you for the informtion.
Tibor77

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Oct 2013, 13:33

Tibor77 wrote:
Dave Harmon wrote:Hi Shadow play does fade out after he says his thank you goodnight. It did on the original vinyl. On the new remaster if you listen for the percussion and high notes it just ever so slighty fades in and out throughout the track just getting more apparent towards the end. It is a bit like the orginal spool tape for this track was left too close to a magnetic field and has been dammaged. The other edditions dont do this. Obviously when you listen to a remastered disc you are looking for and enjoying the clarity. I must say on the rest of the album the quality is very good. The value of the Cd is great just wish the last track one of my favourites was as good quality.

That is too bad, but thank you for the informtion.
. Hi Tim. I am glad the Tim Jenks Band is doing well. Can't make the gig at Watford this time around this Saturday but good luck all the same. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby folkdeejay » 05 Oct 2013, 17:16

From the blurb about stage struck on vinyl....

" incendiary riffs, groovy organ hooks and intense vocals"

that must be some remix.... groovy organ hooks from guitar, bass and drums.

:-o

http://musiconvinyl.com/releases/Rory_G ... age_Struck
folkdeejay

Postby capo » 13 Oct 2013, 01:47

I must admit, after receiving the remastered cd and comparing it to the older one, I much prefer the old one. The new one does have more clarity but at the expence of the ballsy warmth and in your face sonic force of the old, especially in regards to Ted's drums. The new version is too clean sounding to me. As a aside, I've always been unhappy with the song choices, where is Rory's great blues playing like "Off The Handle" or "Calling Card" to counter balance the more one dimensonal thrust of the hard rock sound of the album, or his nightly acoustic set like "OOTWP" or "Walking Blues". Anyway I guess I'm nitpicking, still though prefer the older mix. Peace.
capo

Postby Tokeiihto » 26 Oct 2013, 23:28

While I agree in regards to the song choices - obviously a very conscious decision at the time to give the album a more hard-hitting direction - I definitely prefer the new remastered version of 'Stage Struck'. I've always had a dislike for how the first CD release sounded with the drums far too prominent in the mix and the overall flat, unnecessary bassy sound that threatened to bludgeon the listener into submission and was such a huge departure from 'Live in Europe' and 'Irish Tour'.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings