Rory Gallagher 1979 Kid Jensen Round Table Show

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Rory Gallagher 1979 Kid Jensen Round Table Show

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Sep 2013, 22:16

I recorded this on a cassette recorder all those years ago.

Some great quotes from Rory on this show and his great sense of humor comes through at times :)
The other topic about long hair inspired me to put this show on here..
When Kid Jenson say's about his hair. Rory says " You never know it may come back into fashion one day "
On meeting Debbie Harry in NY recently after a Blondie gig. Rory says.. " I still got the scars to prove it " :lol: :lol:

Enjoy here below on this link ;)

Jay Jay

Re: Rory Gallagher 1979 Kid Jensen Round Table Show

Postby Flamenca » 13 Sep 2013, 00:28

Really enjoyed that. Thank you so much! Good to know that Rory usually ate Weetabix before going on stage :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Sep 2013, 04:59

I forgot how really awful some of the music was that year. It was interesting hearing Rory's comments on that music, and kinda fun to hear his reaction to it. It was fun listening to some of that stuff and trying to guess what he thought, and he was ever the diplomat in his criticism. Whoever made the selections did The Pretenders a disservice- that was one of their worst- I would have liked to hear what Rory thought of some of the The Pretenders good stuff, like My City Was Gone (Ohio). When they played the Pointer Sisters doing Fire, I kept hoping Rory would say he liked that one, and he did!

And I really like that he was very indifferent to whether others liked his hair or not- ignoring that woman's comment- "it keeps your ears warm." Rory's hair always looked good. Too bad they didn't let him speak a little more, though. His comments and observations were always very insightful and interesting.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 29 Dec 2013, 23:59

Just listened to this 34+ years old program, and what really shined through was Rory's vast knowledge and preceptive analysis of all forms of music. As would be expected he was very diplomatic but also cutting in his criticsims. One thing that struck me as odd though, was his very lukewarm praise of Gary Moore and Phil Lynott's "Don't Believe A Word". I was surprised at how underwelmed Rory was at the track and no comment on Moore's great solo that it featured. Maybe he did'nt want to appear too partisan toward two fellow Irish musicans and friends, albeit not close ones. Anyway, just listening to him makes me miss him all the more. Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 30 Dec 2013, 01:24

capo wrote:Just listened to this 34+ years old program, and what really shined through was Rory's vast knowledge and preceptive analysis of all forms of music. As would be expected he was very diplomatic but also cutting in his criticsims. One thing that struck me as odd though, was his very lukewarm praise of Gary Moore and Phil Lynott's "Don't Believe A Word". I was surprised at how underwelmed Rory was at the track and no comment on Moore's great solo that it featured. Maybe he did'nt want to appear too partisan toward two fellow Irish musicans and friends, albeit not close ones. Anyway, just listening to him makes me miss him all the more. Peace.

I know Rory performed with Phil Lynott, I've seen the photos. I don't think they knew each other very well. But as to Gary Moore, he used to visit Rory in the later years, I'd say they were friends.

Rory's interviews are always interesting. Wish I could have met and spoken with him, I'd have loved to have heard his opinions and observations on a world of different topics. But then again, if I had been able to meet him, I'd likely have been to nervous to form complete sentences. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Jan 2014, 09:52

Too late Flamenca I already read the post. It was very nice. I'd like to hope that would have been the case. My impression is that Rory had a rather sweet nature anyway. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Flamenca » 08 Jan 2014, 12:07

Thanks Cynthia. I wasn't sure if it came across as smug to those who never had the opportunity to speak to Rory, so I deleted it to spare feelings. Glad you appreciated it ;)
Flamenca

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings