RORY WWW video just gone!

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

RORY WWW video just gone!

Postby art-works » 02 Sep 2013, 03:43

Hello, I am new here as of, oh perhaps a few minutes and I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

The song as a single "Wheels Within Wheels" is on youtube there was a version that had a video with Rory outdoors on a swing thingy with his bandmates....it's no longer on youtube and no matter how many different ways I've Googled to try to find this video I've come up emptied handed.
Besides this song, obviously, just being incredibly one that never ever will leave one's soul the same, but along with that video there is such a mixture of seeing Rory look so innocent while the maturity of the emotion of the song is playing; it's so powerful & gentle. So, I'm asking if anyone has any information regarding this video.

Everyone enjoy your moments ~ take care,
art-works

Re: RORY WWW video just gone!

Postby no_noise_reduction » 02 Sep 2013, 09:47

sounds to me as if somebody dubbed the footage from the 1978 Macroom festival (it's on youtube) with the WWW track.
no_noise_reduction

Postby Flamenca » 02 Sep 2013, 09:54

yes I think so too - I just replied but my reply disappeared!
The link is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7hs5wzt2Y
If you look at the side of the steam engine 10 seconds into the clip, just under the roof, it has 'Pipers Amusements' written on it.
The clip to which I think you are referring is when they are on the merry-go-round at Pipers Funfair and Amusements in Crosshaven.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pipers-F ... 4920306497
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Sep 2013, 11:35

Yes, that's the clip. I've seen that clip with Wheels Within Wheels paired with it. The juxtaposition of the video footage, of Rory and company, and you're right, he looks so young, and vibrant, of course a grown man, but he's still young, and still has that fresh, happy, optimistic smile in his eyes, like the child still residing within the man, the happiness in his eyes.

I read somewhere, probably in the liner notes from the disc, that Rory had worked and reworked that one, but had never released it. Seems like Donal said he had come across several versions of it that Rory had recorded, each a little different. The song must have meant a lot to him- he spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get it the way he wanted it, but never released it. The lyrics are hauntingly sad, almost a plea for understanding and comfort. I have wondered exactly when the lyrics were written, and what was going on in his life at that time. The melody is sweet and engaging, but the lyrics themselves- and looking back from this point in time to what he was going through toward the end, his lyrics there sound as though they were written years after the video clip to which they were paired.

Such a beautiful, sweet, sad song- and he never released it himself. I don't think he felt comfortable about releasing it- I think it was too personal, too revealing, and Rory was very private. I think maybe he felt the song revealed more than he wanted to share with the outside world, and that's why he kept going back to it but never released it.

The juxtaposition of that song with the amusement park clip, of a point in time where Rory still had so much to look forward to, it is such a starkly poignant contrast, it's almost too painful to watch.

I don't know who paired the two but it really is a very powerful clip. I hope someone re-posts it.

8-) Cynthia
RobertaSparrow

Postby art-works » 02 Sep 2013, 18:19

no_noise_reduction wrote:sounds to me as if somebody dubbed the footage from the 1978 Macroom festival (it's on youtube) with the WWW track.

yup, it is part of the Macroom festival which I just finished watching...thank you for the turning me around and pointing me in the right direction!! ;)

okay my first post was done correct, let's see how my first reply goes..it looks like I'm replying to my own post, I do not see your name/info..but here goes!
art-works

Postby art-works » 02 Sep 2013, 18:28

Flamenca wrote:yes I think so too - I just replied but my reply disappeared!
The link is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7hs5wzt2Y
If you look at the side of the steam engine 10 seconds into the clip, just under the roof, it has 'Pipers Amusements' written on it.
The clip to which I think you are referring is when they are on the merry-go-round at Pipers Funfair and Amusements in Crosshaven.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pipers-F ... 4920306497

Hi Flamenca,
Yup..the first link is great it brought me to the whole interview/concert ..now the second link I don't think, well, you know maybe if I post this same question on their page..someone might remember the youtube video I am looking for, though the concert is "78" and the song was put to it much later. Still it won't hurt to ask. thank you for for the links.

You all are quick...love the profile pic!
Last edited by art-works on 02 Sep 2013, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
art-works

Postby art-works » 02 Sep 2013, 18:55

RobertaSparrow wrote:Yes, that's the clip. I've seen that clip with Wheels Within Wheels paired with it. The juxtaposition of the video footage, of Rory and company, and you're right, he looks so young, and vibrant, of course a grown man, but he's still young, and still has that fresh, happy, optimistic smile in his eyes, like the child still residing within the man, the happiness in his eyes.

I read somewhere, probably in the liner notes from the disc, that Rory had worked and reworked that one, but had never released it. Seems like Donal said he had come across several versions of it that Rory had recorded, each a little different. The song must have meant a lot to him- he spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get it the way he wanted it, but never released it. The lyrics are hauntingly sad, almost a plea for understanding and comfort. I have wondered exactly when the lyrics were written, and what was going on in his life at that time. The melody is sweet and engaging, but the lyrics themselves- and looking back from this point in time to what he was going through toward the end, his lyrics there sound as though they were written years after the video clip to which they were paired.

Such a beautiful, sweet, sad song- and he never released it himself. I don't think he felt comfortable about releasing it- I think it was too personal, too revealing, and Rory was very private. I think maybe he felt the song revealed more than he wanted to share with the outside world, and that's why he kept going back to it but never released it.

The juxtaposition of that song with the amusement park clip, of a point in time where Rory still had so much to look forward to, it is such a starkly poignant contrast, it's almost too painful to watch.

I don't know who paired the two but it really is a very powerful clip. I hope someone re-posts it.

8-) Cynthia

"The juxtaposition of that song with the amusement park clip, of a point in time where Rory still had so much to look forward to, it is such a starkly poignant contrast, it's almost too painful to watch."

oh I know..it's the salt on the wound feeling and yet it's feels familiar to me and so I embrace it..at 65 years of age I've learned to know that moments along with all the feelings that come along with living, pass and they make up a whole, a story. Hard though when melancholy might just be ones main makeup & it over powers everything else...

"I don't know who paired the two but it really is a very powerful clip. I hope someone re-posts it."

Yes me too. And I wonder if any one way would have been "the" one to satisfy what Rory was trying to express for himself. I haven't sung in some time and would love to sing that at an open mic...who knows?

I've "seen you around" maybe on facebook..no, youtube. On youtube I'm tealdust1, but I don't have a channel or anything. Okay I could chatter on but think I shall do it on the welcome page. Thanks for you input.
art-works

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings