BBC Sessions

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

BBC Sessions

Postby senorshoes » 20 Apr 2013, 13:25

Hi,
I notice on the otherwise excellent BBC sessions CD that there is some incorrect date info on some of the In Concert songs. The songs are Country Mile, Got my Mojo working and Used to be. The date given is the 13/1/79 (my first Rory gig by the way) by which time the band was down to a 3 piece. However keyboards are clearly heard so it's likely to be the previous 4 piece lineup so it's got to 78 or earlier. Any ideas people?
cheers
senorshoes

Re: BBC Sessions

Postby Garbageman » 17 Jan 2015, 19:23

I noticed this last night too. I'd guess that the true date would be the same for all 3 songs, but who knows.

The version of 'Used To Be' sounds identical to the boot version from Hammersmith 18.1.77. That recording sounds incomplete, eg because it starts with 'Moonchild' and it sounds like that wasn't the first song...so, does anyone know whether he ever started a 77 set with 'Country Mile/Mojo Working' ?
Garbageman

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jan 2015, 13:52

senorshoes wrote:Hi,
I notice on the otherwise excellent BBC sessions CD that there is some incorrect date info on some of the In Concert songs. The songs are Country Mile, Got my Mojo working and Used to be. The date given is the 13/1/79 (my first Rory gig by the way) by which time the band was down to a 3 piece. However keyboards are clearly heard so it's likely to be the previous 4 piece lineup so it's got to 78 or earlier. Any ideas people?
cheer
Garbageman wrote:so, does anyone know whether he ever started a 77 set with 'Country Mile/Mojo Working' ?

I agree the BBC Sessions are excellent recordings. As I've said many times before here with all BBC recordings, they usually are.
The only gripe I have with the "In Concert disc " is that IMHO if Rory had been alive, he would never have arranged that disc with Calling Card as a opener. I saw Rory live throughout the 70's around 20 or more times "in Concert". He would always open with a rocker.

I never saw Rory start his set with Country Mile. Yet that song has more chance as an opener to a concert than CC ever would ;)
Jay Jay

Postby senorshoes » 02 Jul 2015, 21:23

I've now heard the 18.1.77 Hammersmith show Garbageman mentioned and I can say that five songs on the BBC Sessions have the wrong details.

Country Mile and Mojo Workin' are from the de Montfort Hall 15.2.77
Garbageman, Roberta and Used to Be all from the 18.1.77 Hammersmith show.

Interestingly that Hammersmith show is listed as being a Capital Radio recording and the Leicester show was definitely broadcast on Radio Trent so none of these songs are BBC recordings as these are both independent radio stations.
senorshoes

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings