Record Store Day - Continental Op 10-inch EP

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Record Store Day - Continental Op 10-inch EP

Postby smudge » 14 Apr 2013, 03:32

Is there any more info on this item please before it hits the shops next Saturday 20th?

For example, in which year were the four tracks recorded (I believe the others are I Ain't No Saint, The Loop & Loanshark Blues) and are they previously unreleased? Thank you!
smudge

Re: Record Store Day - Continental Op 10-inch EP

Postby vasdis » 14 Apr 2013, 06:56

The Loop was recorded in 1990 and is off the Fresh Evidence album.
Continental Op/Loanshark Blues/I Aint No Saint were recorded in 1987 and were off the Defender album.
vasdis

Postby Stevo » 14 Apr 2013, 21:00

It says they were recorded at the Cork Opera House, so is it the same as the video/DVD that was recorded in 1987?
Stevo

Postby smudge » 17 Apr 2013, 14:22

Record Store Day is drawing ever near, so can someone answer Stevo's question for us please? Thanks!

As a side story, I went to Johnny Winter's gig at London's Shepherds Bush Empire last Sunday and got chatting after a fashion with a Brazilian guy (whose English was at least slightly better than my non-existent Portuguese!) on the tube. He was carrying a JW photo and we chatted about blues/rock in general until he suddenly announced that his all time favourite is Rory!

Turned out that he has all Rory's albums and plenty of knowledge about his subject; he didn't know about Record Store Day or the EP, though, so I suspect I might see him in a queue outside a record store on Saturday morning!

Poor man never got to see Rory play live, though... :(

I also extolled the merits of this forum, so maybe we'll see a hello here from Fabio one day...
smudge

Postby Jay Jay » 17 Apr 2013, 22:04

Stevo wrote:It says they were recorded at the Cork Opera House, so is it the same as the video/DVD that was recorded in 1987?

Confirmation from Daniel Gallagher

" I saw the question on the forum about the record store day Continental Op vinyl release asking what recording it is, it's from the Live At The Cork Opera House show in 1987. I took the audio and had the 4 tracks remastered for vinyl "
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Apr 2013, 00:52

Alas, the record stores over here won't be selling it . . . :cry:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Stevo » 18 Apr 2013, 23:21

Rory's guitar sound was very processed in the Cork Opera House gig. Not like his earlier sound/tone.
And the crowd take awhile to get into it, with a few coming in late.
But that aside, it is nice to see new stuff getting released, even if it is just for one day on vinyl.
Stevo

Postby Leedelta » 19 Apr 2013, 12:14

I know a few folks how were at that gig (one being the guy who jumps up on stage and chats to Rory during western plain).

A few lads chatted to him pre-gig in a bar in Cork city.

He was nervous about the gig since it was Cork.

I wonder is Daniel gonna do a remaster of this, it is one of my favorite Rory vids.
Leedelta

Postby vasdis » 19 Apr 2013, 18:50

Just had a look in Head Music in Leamington Spa where they were preparing for tomorrow with a lot of the discs already on display,an assistant had a look
and the R.G. e.p. will be up at £17.They will be opening at 8-30 am and probably all the discs will be gone by the time i get there at 9.00.
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Apr 2013, 20:57

vasdis wrote:Just had a look in Head Music in Leamington Spa where they were preparing for tomorrow with a lot of the discs already on display,an assistant had a look
and the R.G. e.p. will be up at £17.They will be opening at 8-30 am and probably all the discs will be gone by the time i get there at 9.00.

Best get there early- the line usually goes around the block before the stores open on Record Store Day.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings