"Missing" CD bonus tracks

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

"Missing" CD bonus tracks

Postby smudge » 19 Feb 2013, 21:08

I'm fairly new here, so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere (although I've scoured the forum for the info without success)...

I've just bought all bar one of the 2012 remasters and sold the corresponding 1999 versions to make room, but there are two anomalies: Calling Card and Deuce.

The 1999 Calling Card bonus tracks, Rue The Day & Public Enemy No. 1 (B-Girl), don't appear on the 2012 version, but sound to my ears identical to the versions on Notes From San Francisco (the track timings are similar to within about 10 seconds). Am I right?

(Had to have the new Calling Card anyway as it appears to be alone among the 2012 remasters in having an unreleased bonus track in Where Was I Going To?)

The bigger anomaly is Deuce, which is why I haven't yet replaced the 1999 version; it contains Persuasion, which the 2012 remaster omits. I naively assumed that it was due to the track also appearing on NFSF, but the two tracks are distinctly different.

The 1999 Persuasion is a trio track with Rory scatting along to his guitar solo from the 3 minute mark; the 2012 version also has Lou's piano throughout and no obvious scatting. The drums also sound more prominent to me in the earlier issued version.

I wondered if Lou's piano had been dubbed in at a later date and Rory's scatting similarly edited out? However, maybe a drum student can easily tell Wilgar & Rod's drumming apart, as the former is listed on Deuce and the latter on NFSF.

Maybe someone here can clarify what was done or, failing that, maybe Rory's family can?

In the meantime I'm struggling to find a reason to "upgrade" the 1999 master of Deuce (even though it now sticks out like a sore thumb among the 2012 series! lol), as I like both versions of Persuasion and almost prefer the earlier one.
smudge

Re: "Missing" CD bonus tracks

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Feb 2013, 17:48

smudge wrote:I'm fairly new here, so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere (although I've scoured the forum for the info without success)...

I've just bought all bar one of the 2012 remasters and sold the corresponding 1999 versions to make room, but there are two anomalies: Calling Card and Deuce.

The 1999 Calling Card bonus tracks, Rue The Day & Public Enemy No. 1 (B-Girl), don't appear on the 2012 version, but sound to my ears identical to the versions on Notes From San Francisco (the track timings are similar to within about 10 seconds). Am I right?

(Had to have the new Calling Card anyway as it appears to be alone among the 2012 remasters in having an unreleased bonus track in Where Was I Going To?)

The bigger anomaly is Deuce, which is why I haven't yet replaced the 1999 version; it contains Persuasion, which the 2012 remaster omits. I naively assumed that it was due to the track also appearing on NFSF, but the two tracks are distinctly different.

The 1999 Persuasion is a trio track with Rory scatting along to his guitar solo from the 3 minute mark; the 2012 version also has Lou's piano throughout and no obvious scatting. The drums also sound more prominent to me in the earlier issued version.

I wondered if Lou's piano had been dubbed in at a later date and Rory's scatting similarly edited out? However, maybe a drum student can easily tell Wilgar & Rod's drumming apart, as the former is listed on Deuce and the latter on NFSF.

Maybe someone here can clarify what was done or, failing that, maybe Rory's family can?

In the meantime I'm struggling to find a reason to "upgrade" the 1999 master of Deuce (even though it now sticks out like a sore thumb among the 2012 series! lol), as I like both versions of Persuasion and almost prefer the earlier one.

Hi Smudge, very good and interesting questions there and well spotted btw.

I'll have to get back with maybe some of those answers later. As my world has been turned upside down of late, to check all this out. Be patient maybe other Rory fans can answer one or two of them. If not I'll sent your questions to Daniel Gallagher head of Capo Records.

Meantime.. Rock On for Rory ;)
Jay Jay

Postby smudge » 21 Feb 2013, 19:42

Many thanks, Jay Jay (and, potentially, Daniel too!).

No urgency; just something that nags at us completists (or "trainspotters" maybe!)... :geek:
smudge

Postby signals » 27 Feb 2013, 15:14

Daniel talks about the removed bonus tracks in this interview here - http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=2176 by Milo.

"Persuasion, when previously a bonus track, did come from the San Francisco Sessions, I think it was mixed without keyboards and less instrumentation to make it fit more with the Deuce three piece sound. Personally I felt, like you, that Crest Of A Wave should close the album and that Persuasion on Notes From San Francisco is how the song should be heard. I believe the other major track change is Just A Little Bit returning to Irish Tour 74 from Tattoo."
signals

Postby smudge » 03 Mar 2013, 12:48

I'm indebted to you, Signals! :D

Thanks for the link; very informative interview. Love the idea that we may see an expanded Irish Tour '74 CD next year (for its 40th anniversary) and hopefully the Taste at IoW on DVD at some point.

Even though I was right in thinking that Lou's piano was simply edited out of the version of Persuasion used on the 1999 Deuce CD (the song coming from the later NFSF sessions), I rather like that trio take and will probably keep the 1999 CD instead of (or as well as!) buying the 2012 remaster.

Really good to have got an answer here; that's what the forum's all about!
smudge

Postby innuendo » 06 Mar 2013, 09:42

so are the missing vocals on ain't too good rectified on 2012 remaster?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby JimLED » 06 Mar 2013, 14:53

innuendo wrote:so are the missing vocals on ain't too good rectified on 2012 remaster?

Sure.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby innuendo » 11 Mar 2013, 09:05

so many thing i wanna buy (queen books, cds and blu ray movies) and not that much money. didn't get around to buy any rory remastered album yet.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings