John Wilson's Taste.

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

John Wilson's Taste.

Postby vasdis » 24 Jan 2013, 18:49

Don't know if i am allowed to mention it on here,but i have recently downloaded off Amazon an album entitled Monsters Of Rock -A Taste of Rory Gallagher,
surprise ,surprise there is no sign of Rory , but from what i can gather it is John Wilson's Taste. I know that as an original Taste member he is allowed to
use the band's name but i must have missed out somewhere on band history.It is actually very good (in my opinion anyway), covering many classic Taste
numbers and also stuff i have never heard of.Obviously Rory is in no position to protest and i am sure it has all been done amicably ?Would be nice if the
2 versions of another of my favourite bands (Wishbone Ash and Martin Turners Wishbone Ash )would settle their differences re Martin using the bands name,
he was after all a founder member back in '69.Any info (if allowed) re John Wilson would be welcome !
vasdis

Re: John Wilson's Taste.

Postby Johno123 » 25 Jan 2013, 09:03

I don't see why you can't talk about John Wilson here. He and Richard McCracken were integral members of Rory's first band. They played their part in Rory becoming a famous musician and were great musicians in their own right.
Don't forget Taste was a band of three equal musicians. After Taste, Rory was a solo musician with employees.
Johno123

Postby vasdis » 25 Jan 2013, 13:45

Thanks for that, as i say i am a member of both versions of Wishbone Ash's forums and you have to be very careful indeed what you say on the Andy
Powell one .Do know most of Tastes history.When i was in my late teens "On The Boards"did the rounds amongst our circle of fans ,bought my vinyl
copy 2nd hand for £1.25,the chap only wanted £1 !.Had not heard the "Taste" album , until we were travelling back from Cornwall, listening to Alan Fluff
not arf Freemans Saturday Rock show and he played "Blister On The Moon " which i had never heard , what a fantastic piece of music !Managed to buy the
album on vinyl, also "Live At The Isle Of Wight"with the Polydor labels on the wrong side of the disc--another fantastic album,Never got" Live Taste"
on vinyl ,but obviously now have them all on cd.This John Wilson's Taste album has really whetted my appetite and i am going to have to play the original
Taste albums PDQ. Also have (The Best Of)TASTE compilation (excellent),Could do a lot worse than doing a copy for the car.
vasdis

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Jan 2013, 01:02

vasdis wrote:Obviously Rory is in no position to protest and i am sure it has all been done amicably ?Would be nice if the
2 versions of another of my favourite bands (Wishbone Ash and Martin Turners Wishbone Ash )would settle their differences re Martin using the bands name,
he was after all a founder member back in '69.Any info (if allowed) re John Wilson would be welcome !

Sorry Vasdis, not true, your last sentence ..

Rory with Eric Kitteringham and Norman Damery were the founder members of Taste in 1966 ;)
Jay Jay

Postby vasdis » 26 Jan 2013, 07:27

Ok thanks, but he obviously has the right to use the name without any legal implications ? Andy Powell copyrighted the name Wishbone Ash without consulting
the other 4 MKI/MK2 members,who too have the right to use the name Wishbone Ash.Problems now frequently arise as to which band a promoter has booked,
given the chance being a fan since 1970, i would go to see either .
vasdis

Postby JimLED » 26 Jan 2013, 20:48

I'm not sure about who is owner of the main Taste rights. Probably, this name could be shown if all three members of the band would like to play again, but Rory had passed away ... maybe Donal has the correct answer for your question.

For example, The Doors of late 200x tried to use the original name of the band....and finally, with a help of drummer John Densmore it was changed to another.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings